Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another RMW Subaru Conversion kit hits the road.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Another RMW Subaru Conversion kit hits the road. Reply with quote

First off I would like to thank the Samba and the Yahoo Subaru Vanagon group. Both of these sites have a ton of information.
So why did I choose a Subaru, well I’m really not sure. Last year I would have said no way and was set on a Vanistan. But for some reason I kept lurking over on the Yahoo group and the next thing I know I have a 1998 EJ22 with 96K coming to me from John Lemely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did a little TLC on the engine and replace the timing belt, idlers, tensioner, main seals, cam seals, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket, fuel line o rings, timing belt covers and timing belt cover seals.

I also ordered a new speedometer cable, clutch kit, drive axle seals, selector shaft seal and gas tank reseal kit from Van Cafe.

I decide to pull the transaxle out when dropping the WBX so I could replace some seals and clean it up.

Here's 20+ year old gear oil

Here's what happens when a woodworker replaces drive axle seals.

The big purchase was the RMW Subaru Charger Vanagon Conversion Kit.
I also had them do the harness for me.

I bet I struggled for an hour trying to get the two to mate up. Finally had my wife give me a hand and wouldn't ya know it, they popped right together.

Engine bay waiting for a new power plant.

I also dropped the tank and installed new seals, valves and new vent line. I also removed the insulation and installed a product from Summit Racing that is a lot thinner. Look at all the room by the starter.

Prior to reinstalling the tank I ran the new harness which puts the ECU under the rear seat. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to mount everything under there.

I didn't get any pictures during the engine/trans install, mainly because I was solo and wasn't planing on installing it but the next thing I knew I had both of them under the van and then it was up in place and I was drilling for the motor carrier. I had the engine and trans on a dolly and only had to jack up the back driver side to get the two in place. Once in place I started from the front I worked my way back. First installed prop shaft, then trans mounts then axles and finally the carrier. Here's the first picture of the engine in it's new home.

Here are some pics of the finished project

Subaru charcoal canister

I'm also using a Scan Gauge II and mounted above the steering wheel. I'm just using some Velcro for now, not sure if this is were it's going to live.

I still have a few things to button up like installing the skid rails and diff lock actuator. I've put about 75 miles on it and took it for a long drive today. Popped my steep grade cherry, passed a F-350 on a steep hill. What a great feeling to pass another vehicle on a steep grade.

As far as the RMW kit, well I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to go the DIY route. As we all know, high quality products that come with great customer service.

Matt
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. A couple questions for you. Did Lemley also supply the stock subie harness and other relays and peripherals or did you find those elsewhere? Any issues sorting out codes?
timbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job !! pretty satisfying getting it in there isn't it?

cheers!
tim
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Matt & Katie. Let us know how the rest goes and I'd love to check it out some time.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Matt! That engine will never be that clean again.
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler- I got everything need off the donor car from John. As far as codes are you referring to ECU error codes?

timbo- Very satisfying, it's a completely different van now.

Tom- Hopefully we can meet up sometime soon.

Rick- Isn't that the truth.

Matt
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
epaddler- I got everything need off the donor car from John. As far as codes are you referring to ECU error codes?

Matt

Matt, yes, I was thinking about error codes. From reading previous posts about conversions it seems like it sometimes takes a while to sort out any false codes.

Also, how is the noise level from the RMW exhaust system and intake system?

Lang
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Matt! Applause

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Matt.

That lil 2.2 pulls pretty well doesn't it!?!? I remember passing my first car up a grade too - great feeling.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lang,
Yes, the engine is throwing a few codes. I believe they can be eliminated with the interface board small car sells, still waiting for a replay from them. I would like to do a check engine light but can't see the benefit of one at the moment. I have an oil pressure gauge and the Scan Gauge which gives me the coolant temp, RPM, MPH and Volts, at least that's what I have running now.

As far as noise, well the wife says it's a lot quieter than the old WBX. I can't tell a difference while driving but at idle I can barely hear the engine running.

I'm still impressed by the power this little engine puts out. I can't even imagine having a 2.5 or bigger, but then again I'm rolling dirty in a tin top.

Matt
micklongley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, Very cool install! There are certain parts from the RMW kit that are truly innovative and the exhaust is one of them. Very nice setup.
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: another rmw conversion hits the road Reply with quote

those engines look like they should have been in there from the start,they look so good
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

3000 miles on conversion only trouble was some stalling which was related to neutral position switch. The crew at RMW helped get it sorted out. I will say their customer service is great and always their to help.

Just returned from a trip to Yosemite and the engine ran great. My wife is still blown away by how much of a change their is in performance. Example: Up to Tioga Pass in 3rd gear @ 4000rpm traveling 50mph the whole way with no pulling over to be passed. And heading east on I-70 out of Salina, UT up to Emigrant pass in 4th gear @ 4100rpm traveling 65-70mph the whole time with no down shifting. MPG would vary depending on speed, 18mpg above 65mph and 20's when below 65mph.

I did have some issue with the power steering but that's not related to the conversion. I did have a couple of coolant leaks, drips, once we arrived home. Those were easily fixed with a couple of turns on the hose clamps.

Overall I'm very happy and would recommend the RMW kit to anyone wanting to install a Subaru engine.

Matt
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Here is a pic of my ej25 with RMW kit installed Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my ej25 with RMW kit. I broke down a few thousand miles away from home in the middle of Nevada. Had her towed to J's VW in Reno, then was forced to make the decision to rebuild the aircooled 2.0 or bite the bullet and have them do a conversion. I chose the latter and am extremely pleased with the result. All of the orchestration was somewhat of a nightmare but it all worked out. Joe B at RMW was extremely helpful and was always willing to answer any questions I had. The same can be said for J's. My initial intent was to do this conversion myself next summer, but was forced to have a third party do it because I was so far from home. The kit itself is a work of art, the quality is top notch. I am especially pleased with the engine to transaxle adapter plate and the exhaust header. I have never seen cleaner welds in my life.

If deciding to go the RMW conversion kit route, I would highly recommend the modified oil pan. The ground clearance is very poor without it. I ruptured my factory pan and didn't realize it until the morning when I saw the puddle. The modified RMW oil pan is much heavier duty and has since taken some hard hits in the mountains with no ruptures. My only gripe is that the aluminum heat shield supplied with the kit should have come with a pre-drilled hole for the relocated dipstick bolt. As you can see in the pic, I went the ziptie route which works fine.

The performance is incredible and the sound is perfect with the Magnaflow, sounds similar to a WRX. The mileage on the engine is above 104k but still has excellent compression and no leaks.

If you are considering a RMW conversion, feel free to ask me any questions about the kit.

Very Happy
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. RMW parts are first quality. Almost make me want to go this route.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you will enjoy the EJ22 for years and many happy miles. I purchased my Syncro a couple years ago with the conversion already installed. It has a KEP kit and was done back in 2004 with a 1994 EJ22 engine. I have changed a few things like the intake air filter components and the exhaust. Other than that I have only put in spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, O2 sensor, plug wires, and oil changes. The 1987 Syncro Westy had around 140k miles at the time of conversion. When I purchased it the clock was at 183K. We are now at 213k miles and it still purrs like a kitten.

I keep thinking I want a little more power, but I love the EJ22's bullet proof design

RMW is top notch in my book. Their products are well constructed.

Great to see another one on the road! Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael, happy to hear you have had good luck as well. I have heard that the EJ22 is less prone to head gasket leaks than the EJ25, so the additional power comes comes at a cost. But hell, at least I can drive faster than 30mph full throttle in the mountains. Time will tell how she holds up.
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work - it's inspiring. I have just placed my order for the Subaru kit with RMW - just sent them my harness yesterday, so it's good to see all the praise they are getting.
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Error codes with subaru conversion Reply with quote

Good luck with the install, should be fun!

I just spoke with RMW about the 7 or so OBDII error codes (check engine light) that are inevitable with the conversion, they said they are currently developing/testing a prototype interface board similar to that offered by Smallcar to delete these codes. Said it should be the same price (I believe 70 bones?) Should be nice to have a working check engine light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: