Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 55 Canadian Standard
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Early 55 Canadian Standard Reply with quote

so i got myself a new project its a nice and almost complete jan 55 matching number Canadian standard. it needs some work but overall its in decent shape. plan is to do a full restoration and to keep it all original.
hope you enjoy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to watching your build Phil! Are you going to put a complete pan in or will you patch the battery tray area?

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Phil, Our Canadian cars are getting harder and harder to find... good luck, looking good. There were a few around my area here in the west, any specific standard parts you need?
Brian
phil1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Congrats Phil, Our Canadian cars are getting harder and harder to find... good luck, looking good. There were a few around my area here in the west, any specific standard parts you need?
Brian

thanks, yes canadian cars are getting hard to find, actualy a need a set of exterior handles, but i dont know if the standard ones are any different from the deluxe ones. the ones that are on the car now are from an early 60s bus

ethan, i will not change the whole floor, since nothing beats original metal ill only change the battery section
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find Phil!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, deluxe handles of the same era are exactly the same. Nice find BTW. I love early standards. Cool
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not just painted Trevor? I wasn't sure when they stopped getting painted vent windows, black knobs inside etc.
B
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
They're not just painted Trevor? I wasn't sure when they stopped getting painted vent windows, black knobs inside etc.
B

Canadian Customs all had chrome handles inside and out.
70 911T
91 Westy
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: early 55 canadian standard Reply with quote

I'm curious... or maybe just dumb possibly but, what is the giant cover on the frame head? is that a Canadian only thing? ..if so, what's the purpose?

phil1957 wrote:

flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: early 55 canadian standard Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
I'm curious... or maybe just dumb possibly but, what is the giant cover on the frame head? is that a Canadian only thing? ..if so, what's the purpose?

55 and earlier had ebrake cables that go all the way to frame head. The cover is to adjust cables on spreader bar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: early 55 canadian standard Reply with quote

phil1957 wrote:

Did someone cut holes in that rear apron or is it a later clip?
phil1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the apron is one of the weird things about this car, it looks to be original to the car but it defenitly is a 56-57 style apron. ill have to check this more closely once i take the rear fenders off. the other wierd thing are the rear fenders, both are ribbed fenders but the left one only has 3 holes instead of 4

also this car was in an engine fire early in its day but still has its original engine.

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: early 55 canadian standard Reply with quote

flat wrote:
0nebadbug wrote:

55 and earlier had ebrake cables that go all the way to frame head. The cover is to adjust cables on spreader bar.

Yes, but is that a Canada only thing? I have seen older chassis' before just have never seen a cover like that before... even the odd lines on the floor pan near the rear either... or is these things that what makes a 'standard' a standard?
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 1955 Canadian Export/Standard/Custom in L 276 ultramaroon, WoW! You have found an really interesting car here. Smile

Really crazy that they would offer a Deluxe color like L 276 ultramaroon in a Standard form, that color was a very poor seller back in Germany due to some German hangups about the color Brown (b/c of the color brown shirts that they wore in the early Nazi party) so any sort of Brown colored cars were frawned upon over there and L 276 ultramaroon didn't sell that well in America either, it is a very rare color.

I hope that you keep the car 100% original, it will be a very unique car when it's done.......

Congrats on your find Smile

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: early 55 canadian standard Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
flat wrote:
0nebadbug wrote:

Yes, but is that a Canada only thing? I have seen older chassis' before just have never seen a cover like that before... even the odd lines on the floor pan near the rear either... or is these things that what makes a 'standard' a standard?

It's not Canadian thing as far as I know, all 55- cars ive come across had the same thing. The Canadian standard/customs main differences were in trim levels. No major differences such as metal work or mechanics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phil1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, im going to try my best to keep it as original as i can. i realy like ultramaroon, but i dont think ill paint it that color,my favorite color is light beige. the color is not mentioned on the BC so it gives me a little room to play,but it defently will be period correct (late 54, early 55)

Canadian standards are AWESOME Very Happy
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil1957 wrote:
yes, im going to try my best to keep it as original as i can. i realy like ultramaroon, but i dont think ill paint it that color,my favorite color is light beige. the color is not mentioned on the BC so it gives me a little room to play,but it defently will be period correct (late 54, early 55)

Canadian standards are AWESOME Very Happy

Hmm well, I understand it's all how you like your car to be someday, I just wanted to let you klnow how rare that color is on a Standard car, if there's another one still out there, I'd like to see it, but I would imagine there's less than 5 Standard cars left anywhere still in that color and that's being optimistic in my guesswork. Smile

Could you do me a small favor? Would you please take some detailed shots of the areas still covered in L 276 ultramaroon please, I want to share this with a big German collector who turned me onto the color, it's just so rare!

Ohh and BTW, in certain lighting ultramaroon looks creamy and sandy in color, especially on a cloudy bright day reflected under clouds........ Very Happy

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phil1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear you on that, ultramaroon cars are uncomon. the interior is really clean, so ill take some pics tommorow.

phil
phil1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i fixed the drivers side pan, alot nicer than before. but still needs some work. also i found out that taking a nice pic of ultra maroon is really hard.

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil1957 wrote:
also i found out that taking a nice pic of ultra maroon is really hard.

Ohh the reason there's no color listed on your BC is that the folks at VW are saying they are understaffed and cannot look up everything (I think that they are just lazy) ~ that interior paint looks amazing, you reaklly should reconsider a decision to repaint this car another color than the extremely rare original color, some polish and preservation would save the dash board and I'd repaint the car from a match from the inside of the glovebox door........you would have one of the rarest Standard cars in the world after that.

Repainted it's just another car.......

Photographing the color is very difficult, it's a beautiful color that changes like a cameleon, sometimes brown, sometimes copper, sometimes creme, sometimes silver red. Smile

Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: