Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=255576091&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10222

Seems like this summer in Spokane would be a good time for a Wild Westerner gathering.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww hell no! Im definitely going to some event there. If "tricky Dick" made it, I can get my butt there too!

Imagine a line of mmmmm 12 westerners making this event. Spending money on Pizza, rooms at the local Super 8, picking up some 40th Expo swag. Turn that Spokane frown upside down! Maybe those reto performers could be.....

Link

I was planning to go there just because. Now the stakes are higher with an official 40th celebration. Im all over it Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me set the tone a little better for some of you old farts Twisted Evil

Link

Come on now, take me back....way back Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who's a little intriuged/disturbed that this comes up just as this thread happens to reach 74 pages? Shocked

Whoah!.....COSMIC man!......duuuuuuuude!!!!!!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The planets, they be alignin'!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

Oh man, you cant plan this stuff!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
HoldenMyOwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only came upon this thread 2 days ago, so I have only had the opportunity to read about half of it. One reason that should be considered concerning the limited number of these buses: they are uglier than a bowling shoe & many may have been repainted.
Heath
I may or may not be the new owner of a repainted WW. I'll find out when I take possession.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Current:
1976 Standard Beetle

Past:
1973 Wild Westerner bus
1969 Squareback
1973 Standard Beetle
1968 Standard Beetle
1967 Standard Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Uglier than a bowling shoe?!" On behalf of all bowling shoes worldwide, let me be the first to correct you, sir. Some find them stylish and fashionable. They are needed... for the sport, for the purity of the sport! ... to achieve that... special approach...

Okay, I couldn't keep that up for very long.

Your bus looks promising to have a limeade WW under what is also a different variety of ugly 2-tone paint job -- no offense meant. There are some interesting challenges you will face, though, especially with the upright bug motor installed and probably no cooling tin. Post up your M-plate code when you get it!
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have a Wild Westerner as well. In any event, I hope you do the right thing and paint it to the original colors. Exclamation

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoldenMyOwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go. I just picked it up. I'm on the road. Can y'all help with this?

Current:
1976 Standard Beetle

Past:
1973 Wild Westerner bus
1969 Squareback
1973 Standard Beetle
1968 Standard Beetle
1967 Standard Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Am I the only one who's a little intriuged/disturbed that this comes up just as this thread happens to reach 74 pages? Shocked

Whoah!.....COSMIC man!......duuuuuuuude!!!!!!

I was actually thinking the same thing when i saw this pop back up.... Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Skippie Its a Wild Westerner...
I believe we are now at 60 located...
It appears another one of these creatures has made its way to the eastern USA.

In a related topic page 74/expo 74 ,,,,,hummmmm...
Maybe the rumor largely thought to be bullshit... By our Colleague in Washington.
May have some credence Very Happy

And the band plays on...

Hey Ya'll ... have fun hunting eggs, remember to ask permission before you enter the patch Shocked Don't want anyone arrested !!!

There goes Peter Cotton Tail hop pin down the Bunny Trail ....
Damn this vodka is Good.. Its my happy drink.

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
HoldenMyOwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't do titles for older cars in Alabama but I do have the title from the previous non-Alabama owner: Pacoima, California.

Current:
1976 Standard Beetle

Past:
1973 Wild Westerner bus
1969 Squareback
1973 Standard Beetle
1968 Standard Beetle
1967 Standard Beetle
HoldenMyOwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
There are some interesting challenges you will face, though, especially with the upright bug motor installed and probably no cooling tin.

I'm new to buses but I thought these either came with beetle motors or type 4's? Is this the incorrect engine?

Current:
1976 Standard Beetle

Past:
1973 Wild Westerner bus
1969 Squareback
1973 Standard Beetle
1968 Standard Beetle
1967 Standard Beetle
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoldenMyOwn wrote:
sunnydog wrote:
There are some interesting challenges you will face, though, especially with the upright bug motor installed and probably no cooling tin.

I'm new to buses but I thought these either came with beetle motors or type 4's? Is this the incorrect engine?

That bus should have a type 4 engine. Best to either get the correct engine, or build a strong type 1 with all of the proper cooling tin. The way that sits now, that engine will be sufferin'.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the authority here but, in 1973 i think they all came with a 1700 or 1.7, some call it the pancake engine. Also i have heard its called a Porsche engine maybe one of the experts here can clarify this for you.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 4's are often referred to as "pancake" engines. Same for type 3 engines, too.

Pretty sure 73 would have been a 1700, but there is no reason not to make it a 2 liter. No one will know the difference from the outside.
HoldenMyOwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Pretty sure 73 would have been a 1700, but there is no reason not to make it a 2 liter. No one will know the difference from the outside.

Where might someone find one or a buildable case?

Current:
1976 Standard Beetle

Past:
1973 Wild Westerner bus
1969 Squareback
1973 Standard Beetle
1968 Standard Beetle
1967 Standard Beetle
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking on Craigslist for buses... I search all over the east and have seen some in scattered in Georgia. The 77 westy i show is actually a parts bus i bought back in December. Someone had removed all the interior except the front seats. Now i have a spare everything mechanical engine, tranny, brake drums, it will save you tons of money and time if you have a donor bus, then if you wish you could sell the body .
It appears you will have time because you have a lot of body work and painting to do, i would just run the engine you have until it blows.
However, if you are wanting an engine now I know where there is a couple in SC. Just send me a PM and i will check on them for you.

streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tram"]
Bill Sullivan wrote:

All the hippies in the '70s drove splits. They couldn't afford Bays. Plus, they were afraid of "complicated" stuff like Type 4 engines, fuel injection, and disc brakes.

How times have changed.

OK, I was one of those hippies, I got my first Bay in '77 or '78 and it was a used '70. I think I paid some ridiculous price for it at the time, like 3 or 400 bucks. Up to that time I never spent more than a few hundred for my splits. OK, times do change.

My reason for posting was to say that I just got through the 74 pages and I do remember being at a dealer in '73 to see if I could afford a new bus (I couldn't). This would have been on the Southside of Chicago. The special edition bugs were out and they had one as I recall. I told the sales dude that I wanted a bus and he told me there was a special "California" edition that he could probably order for me. He had no photos but said it was the same colors as the bugs. I have no other memories of that other than I had driven there in my '66 (the one in my avitar) and he offered me $100 as a trade-in for a new one.

My other reason for posting is to say, put me down as wanting one! Here in Wisconsin, any sort of bus is quite rare to see either being driven or for sale unless it's a total pile of crap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 74 of 169

Jump to: