Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
What in the hell !!!

Why would you to take a Special Edition VW Bus that has a Mysterious Origin and knowingly change the only thing that makes it special ?

Has the earthquake rattled you a little...

If you are hell bent on a different color let me buy you another average bus and trade !!!

My mind Explodes !!
Not rattled at all.

I bought this bus because of its condition. Not the color. If you can bring me a 1973 bus in as good or better condition as this one I would consider a trade.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaaayammm, I'm with Bill.

I'm cool with changing/upgrading the drivetrain. I've thought about it myself and may in awhile. (I've decided to wait on that til I decide my '78's conversion is "done.")

But changing the color? Really? Especially an example with such nice paint.

No no no, please reconsider!

Shame on you Shame on you

Edit to add: I remember seeing an ad for that bus for some time, and when I was shopping, I found that the WW paint scheme is commanding a bit of a premium in price. I think changing the color will be a mistake financially too.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The challenge has been accepted !!! #Bad Talk

Does any one on the West Coast own an equally nice VW Bus that would consider trading for a 1973 Special Edition VW Wild Westerner ?

Speak now r forever hold you peace !!!
Ain't believing this is happening !!!

Can't believe i'm falling for this ...
My blood is boiling Evil or Very Mad

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys!! I had a friend stop buy and looked at the bus.
He is going to see if he can find me another bus and take this one
and restore it to original colors.

So don't get your Panties to wadded up. Laughing
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought for sure that Bill was going to drive to Cali.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils, I was in the same boat as you when I got mine, the bus was just what happened to be available to me when I was bus shopping. I still think it was horrible looking, but who cares! The other stock colors were lame by comparison. The styling is pretty mundane too.

I kept the exterior weirdness just because no one knew why it was painted that way. Even now no one is really any closer to unraveling the mystery. Everything else on my bus is custom to suite me but the westerny stuff stayed to preserve history. It's a historical piece just an unknown at this point.

As far as bays go the wild westerner is the only one worth talking about. Keep the paint, go faster, stop better everyone can appreciate that. Mine has a wbx in it now and I'm getting ready to add four wheel discs. Not Porsche stuff but functional-affordable stuff.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Nils, I was in the same boat as you when I got mine, the bus was just what happened to be available to me when I was bus shopping. I still think it was horrible looking, but who cares! The other stock colors were lame by comparison. The styling is pretty mundane too.

I kept the exterior weirdness just because no one knew why it was painted that way. Even now no one is really any closer to unraveling the mystery. Everything else on my bus is custom to suite me but the westerny stuff stayed to preserve history. It's a historical piece just an unknown at this point.

As far as bays go the wild westerner is the only one worth talking about. Keep the paint, go faster, stop better everyone can appreciate that. Mine has a wbx in it now and I'm getting ready to add four wheel discs. Not Porsche stuff but functional-affordable stuff.
I get your point.
Like I said earlier. I bought this bus because of its condition. Needing very little body work and almost no rust. I like the kooky colors. But not for the level I am going to with this project. I would feel bad Repainting it. But if
no other options come up I will be painting it.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy em books and send em to skool and what do they do?

Ok i took 24 to play a round of golf and meet with the cabinet, watch this shot.
We now have a plan. No cart before the horse and that fact no horse and cart. This is 2014 people, horse and carts were used by the last preszy.
The plan is this:
When Sunnydog meets up with notchboy jump in the notchmobile and come down from the north.
Have a word of prayer with Nils. Coordinate with Rixisride to flank arrive from the NE with her 79 and offer a trade. The nurds will arrive from the east.
This will give Kirk In Texas time to round up some moo-lish-as and will come from the SE. Pickelwagon will block a southern exit in LA across the southern border .

Final thought:It jus seems to be a hugh price to pay to be tared, feathered and shunned globally , jus to satisfy an erotic desire to change the color of a 41 Year old Special Edition VW Bus Very Happy .

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's drinking again!

Very Happy

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble that remark Very Happy

If u can't have fun then:

U jus can't have fun !!!

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this new post today. He says it's an original stripe. I know it's not a WW, just thought it interesting that the dealers may have been using that stripe earlier.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605620
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree an imposter...

For those whom didn't get the part about the cart before the horse.....
We had a celebrity of sorts go on National Tv and make that statement a few days ago...It appears after 6 years he is still beating around the Bush..(pun)

As for the other part... No one in their right mind would go onto a forum that is devoted to the preservation of the Wild Westerner and say I don't give a rats ass about it being a Wild Westerner and make immediate enemy s global. Lets just say i saw thru the BS .... Nils is a good guy with an interesting selling technique.

With that said this was an example of whats to be expected if someone does insult the owners and contributors.

Back to the liquor cabinet for another meeting. Very Happy

Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
I agree an imposter...

For those whom didn't get the part about the cart before the horse.....
We had a celebrity of sorts go on National Tv and make that statement a few days ago...It appears after 6 years he is still beating around the Bush..(pun)

As for the other part... No one in their right mind would go onto a forum that is devoted to the preservation of the Wild Westerner and say I don't give a rats ass about it being a Wild Westerner and make immediate enemy s global. Lets just say i saw thru the BS .... Nils is a good guy with an interesting selling technique.

With that said this was an example of whats to be expected if someone does insult the owners and contributors.

Back to the liquor cabinet for another meeting. Very Happy
LOLOL You know nothing about me. There is no B.S. here at all. I have looked at a lot of 1973 VW Buses. And there is not a lot to choose from that are not full of bondo or rust. The bus I bought only has a little surface rust in a few places and a very small amount of bondo back by the engine lid. This is why I bought it. "NOT BECAUSE IT WAS A WW BUS"

I did not even know what a WW was till a I saw this one. Funny thing is My first Porsche powered bus I built 25 years ago was a Wild westerner. I did not
think twice about painting that one. I do regret selling it.

I still intend to build another Porsche powered bus. But I will probably look for another 1973 bus. I am going to keep the green bus for now.

Have a nice weekend.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streamr wrote:
Saw this new post today. He says it's an original stripe. I know it's not a WW, just thought it interesting that the dealers may have been using that stripe earlier.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605620

Either it is an imposter stripe, or they tried to modify it a bit. On the front, the lower stripe curves upward to meet the wide stripe. This doesn't happen on a WW set of stripes.

My first thought was someone added it a few years after the bus was built to dress it up, similar to what someone commented in that thread. So the stripe is 5 years newer than the rest of the bus.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front turn signals on 73 to 79 are up higher. That must be a 72 or older therefore not a Wild Westerner. Unless the nose clips are interchangeable. i doubt but i do not know for sure.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
The front turn signals on 73 to 79 are up higher. That must be a 72 or older therefore not a Wild Westerner. Unless the nose clips are interchangeable. i doubt but i do not know for sure.

It's a 68. It just happens to have a similar stripe.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche engine keeps popping up. What is the difference in the bus engine and the Porsche engine?
The reason i ask Rixesride mention the WW she bought had a Porche engine not installed. Would it have worked in her bus?
Do to the fact that she located and bought the first WW as a result of this forum I feel we need to help her get it on the road.
Do anyone have or know where there is a rebuildable engine in the Northern California area?

Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
The Porsche engine keeps popping up. What is the difference in the bus engine and the Porsche engine?
The reason i ask Rixesride mention the WW she bought had a Porche engine not installed. Would it have worked in her bus?
Do to the fact that she located and bought the first WW as a result of this forum I feel we need to help her get it on the road.
Do anyone have or know where there is a rebuildable engine in the Northern California area?
VWluver has the engine that came out of the bus I got from him. He said the No 4 cylinder was dead. It would be a good rebuild able engine.

The Porsche 914 engine is almost exactly the same as the 72-79 bus.
That is where the majority of people get the Porsche engine thing from.

The conversion I am doing is going to be a Porsche 3.6 liter 6 cylinder engine and transmission. Cool
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils888 wrote:
The conversion I am doing is going to be a Porsche 3.6 liter 6 cylinder engine and transmission. Cool

While I do advocate for keeping the original paint, I think the 3.6L swap would be awesome. Add on some killer suspension - a drop to the stance, and that would be a real head turner.

I look forward to watching this build! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 82 of 169

Jump to: