Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see that but you just don't see such hybrids driven. Porche buses with a ton of miles are rare. They are usually just fun oddities.

I've been having lots of fun with my wbx. In, done and camping just in time for the leaves to drop. Parts are cheap and everything is improved over previous engines without going por$che.

I had a more powerful engine in there before and all that does is let you achieve instability at a much faster rate. The shape and ride height do not lend well to any modifications. Scrap and restart-yes. Get the bus within 3"of pavement on a modern suspension and anything above 200 hp it'd be very fun to drive, it would also cease to be a bus.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I'd like to see that but you just don't see such hybrids driven. Porche buses with a ton of miles are rare. They are usually just fun oddities.

I've been having lots of fun with my wbx. In, done and camping just in time for the leaves to drop. Parts are cheap and everything is improved over previous engines without going por$che.

I had a more powerful engine in there before and all that does is let you achieve instability at a much faster rate. The shape and ride height do not lend well to any modifications. Scrap and restart-yes. Get the bus within 3"of pavement on a modern suspension and anything above 200 hp it'd be very fun to drive, it would also cease to be a bus.

A guy I know shoehorned a Porsche 6 cylinder motor and 5 speed trans into his bus. I've ridden in it, it scoots down the road just fine!

He puts a bunch of miles on it, camping and such.

So they aren't all trailer queens! Smile

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 180.000 miles on mine before I sold it. I hear it is back east.
Some guy in a Porsche owners club has it. I am trying to get some pictures
off it. Very Happy
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: WW Reply with quote

I have an Announcement !!!
Putting all jokes aside, this is a Real Offer!!!
This Offer is a Global Offer as well.

I William D. Sullivan being of sound mind and sober body will give away my 1973 VW Wild Westerner as commission/compensation to the person that hooks me up with the actual buyer of my waterfront home.

If you are outside the continental USA I will deliver the bus to any shipping port on the East Coast of the USA free of charge, you will be responsible for any shipping charges/fees from the port to the final destination.

If you live in the Continental United States, I will personally deliver the bus in a cover auto trailer within 30 days of the final transaction of the sale of the real estate. If sold by Dec 15th 2014 i will also cook you a whole pig upon delivery. And have a throw down like you have never seen the likes of. Smile (Continental US only)

Brief description of real estate:
3 Bedroom
3 Bath
2 Fireplaces
2 Screened Porches
1 Full Kitchen
1 Kitchenette

Concrete main pier with Gazebo Bar
Concrete topped floating dock (deep water) can handle boat up to 70'
I built it out of concrete with intentions of having a marina (never did go public)
251' waterfront
Secluded with only one other home across the pond.
More info upon request.

I'm sure many of you some know a real estate investors that would love to own a property that was once part of an old southern plantation.

The bus is the one with the spare tire mounted in the front. It is not of show quality it was painted by a novice. (me)
Lets just say the paint has character and runs and drives.

Ok people...
The word for the day is leggs...
So spread the word Very Happy

Let me add... A bonus to the new owner....
Shrimp baiting season starts soon and i will teach you how to catch shrimp for your own personal consumption.

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo Bill, are you entertaining Craig's list type embarrassing bids?

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigslist list you get all kind of crazy people on a boat or working offshore need your paypal info crap. (scams)

Do to the fact that we have an audience that seems to be globally interested in Wild Westerners and to give one away may inspire some thinking of who would you know that has an interests in investing in waterfront property.

The property is part of an (former) Old Southern Plantation on the water not a house in a neighborhood. Therefore, you need to get the message out to a large audience. Realtors sit on their duffs and wait until someone contacts them or some small advertising and want 6%. I know i have family in real estate. So the idea is to think out of the box and be creative.

Possibly someone will see this and think yes i would like some secluded waterfront real estate near the coast. With a boat tied up in front of your house, you can step in and go offshore fishing in the Gulf Stream.

The Wild Westerner is the referral commission instead of a sales commission.
This is not my only house therefore it is not embarrassing to me.

The fine print, you must daily feed the deer, squirrels and many species of birds, as well as a stray cat that i call kitty.

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Bill, but I'm currently looking into SC squatters rights info.

If you see an extra wild westerner parked next to the others you really didn't drink too much that day-that's just me trying to help you out of that burden via squatters rights.

All jokes aside I'll pm for the real stuff.

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on down you can squat in the RV. Then we will have 3 Wild Westerners to cruise down Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach. Talk about turning heads the camera flashes will be blinding.

Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Come on down you can squat in the RV. Then we will have 3 Wild Westerners to cruise down Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach. Talk about turning heads the camera flashes will be blinding.

Is this an open invitation? I am only 5 hours straight north of ya! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, my house is your house...

The RV has a queen bed so u and chazz can decide who the king is and who will be the queen...

If you can't get along there is a couch... Laughing

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, what is up with this? Is there anyone that has looked into these folks? I wonder if this is the same high top as the one from ebay!
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Barry-Corinne-Mexico-...aja+mexico

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-vw-bus-/141397412687?vxp=mtr
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Alright, what is up with this? Is there anyone that has looked into these folks? I wonder if this is the same high top as the one from ebay!

Thats cool.

Hopefully it isn't the same one, it would be sad to see one that had such an adventure go into such neglect. However, the high top on the Mexico one is panted with both greens, whereas the ebay high top is only painted with the upper green. So they are probably different examples.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:

Thats cool.

Hopefully it isn't the same one, it would be sad to see one that had such an adventure go into such neglect. However, the high top on the Mexico one is panted with both greens, whereas the ebay high top is only painted with the upper green. So they are probably different examples.

Nope, it is a different bus. It is owned by a couple who have apparently been traveling around the world in it for 25 years! They have a blog page selling DVDs of their trips. I couldn't find an email address or other contact for them, but I did track down a video promo on YouTube so I commented about the WW and this thread.

Hopefully he'll get some kind of notification and check out the Wild Westerner Club!

http://travelwithbarryandcorinne.com/

Edit: I also looked them up on Facebook and sent a message, though there hasn't been any activity since May 2013.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently living right outside of Myrtle at Coastal Carolina University. L wish I could see the Wild Westerner! For now, I will close my eyes and imagine its beauty Smile
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I travel to Myrtle Beach several times a month i will let u know when i' heading that way.

This Sunday weather permitting i will be going to my first VW swap Meet in Darlington SC. It will be held at the Darlington Dragstrip directly across the street from the World Famous Winston Cup Southern 500 NASCAR Track.

I will be taking the Wild Westerner from Portland.
Better known as the (Joey-Bonny s Barn) Wild Westerner.

Also i received an email from a Wild Westerner owner in Mexico with pictures.
It may be the one that disappeared that Kirk was looking at. Anyway, I invited the owner to join us here and give us the details.

ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Well I travel to Myrtle Beach several times a month i will let u know when i' heading that way.

This Sunday weather permitting i will be going to my first VW swap Meet in Darlington SC. It will be held at the Darlington Dragstrip directly across the street from the World Famous Winston Cup Southern 500 NASCAR Track.

I will be taking the Wild Westerner from Portland.
Better known as the (Joey-Bonny s Barn) Wild Westerner.

Also i received an email from a Wild Westerner owner in Mexico with pictures.
It may be the one that disappeared that Kirk was looking at. Anyway, I invited the owner to join us here and give us the details.

That would be awesome! Pm me your number and maybe we can meet up! I am sorta new to the volkswagen crowd, but I know a decent amount of info... Now I just need to buy one.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Wild Westerner that popped up in Myrtle Beach last year for sale on craigslist.(it sold). It had been repainted a dirty gold color on the exterior. So keep your eyes pealed I'm sure the owner does not know it is a Wild Westerner and maybe it has changed color again. If you see any buses around that area just ask the owner to see the metal plate behind the drivers seat and look for 736. That is the identifying code. PM sent.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this post and really like the seat covers they made.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I got to thinking...

What do you all think of the idea of similar seats made with blue plaid?

Or maybe green plaid?

That plaid fabric wasn't introduced until '74 but I think it could work.

I have a friend who does a lot of interior work, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to hire him to make up a set of seat covers.

Also, it doesn't seem like the dog's hair sticks to the plaid in my Westy very badly.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue plaid looks the best to me it e-sent-uates (dammit i don't know how to spell it) the blue belt.

I received a serial on the WW in Mexico (2232207670)
It is listed on our sheet as being sold out of Douglas Texas, so that was the one that slipped across the border.
We must put up a fence. Very Happy

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue green plaid really brings the room together. I have it in my bus and I don't think vw could've picked a better color combo.

The stuff is crazy expensive though. I need to buy more to cover my riviera top bunk but it's just not ranked high on the list of thigs to do.

Anyone ever thought we need a mascot as mysterious as the wild westerner? You know like dodge had the road runner themed ride in the seventies and such. I'd be fine with a gun shooting Yosemite Sam in some brightly colored hot pants matching the theme.. ..... Sure, I'd rather explain my bus was built for gay cowboys than tell another kid it isn't friggin scooby doo. I'm fine with smiles and waves but cringe every time someone yells "scooby doo" when I roll by. I feel like keeping a bag of rocks next to me lately when I'm driving just to chuck at people. Scooby doo was teal. Teal dammit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 83 of 169

Jump to: