Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey who is driving this bus ? I think somebody is asleep at the wheel !

I found an ad posted on June 4 in samba classifieds wtb a safari . It had a picture of a Wild Westerner Safari that I had not seen before. I emailed the person and asked that they help us locate the bus.

I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz.

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

False Alarm...

The picture used in the WTB ad was a WW that we have somewhere in this forum.

Therefore we are still in the 60 range of Wild Westerners located and/or seen.

Is there anyone who may have any info of where the WW that sold on ebay recently in Wadesboro, NC?

I would like to notify the new owner abt color scheme and what it means to us.

Until next time...
Peace Out Razz

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
False Alarm...

Is there anyone who may have any info of where the WW that sold on ebay recently in Wadesboro, NC?

Until next time...
Peace Out Razz

I thoroughly enjoy telling others how my bus is one of only 60 known to exist. Very Happy

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped at Walgreens today and was only in there for a few minutes. But when I left, I found a surprise left for me on my Westerner!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I saw a group of guys waving at me. So I pulled in and said hi. The one guy told me that he collected lunchboxes but he figured I needed that one after seeing my bus.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a lot of the same from the younger generation. Driving down Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach I hear grown men hollering, Hey Shaggy .

The Older people smile and wave and camera phones everywhere taking pictures .

Currently I'm on the hunt for a WW with automatic transmission for my daughter. Talk abt looking for a needle I a haystack Rolling Eyes

And the Band Plays On .

ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
I get a lot of the same from the younger generation. Driving down Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach I hear grown men hollering, Hey Shaggy .

Currently I'm on the hunt for a WW with automatic transmission for my daughter. Talk abt looking for a needle I a haystack Rolling Eyes

And the Band Plays On .

Would it be ethical to put in an auto from another bus? If not, good luck...
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:

And the auto tranny in the 73 was a vacuum assisted one, and not nearly as good as the later ones. But, that is what I would be looking for too! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
Bill Sullivan wrote:

And the Band Plays On .

Would it be ethical to put in an auto from another bus? If not, good luck...

I think it would be OK. (And I'd probably put in a later one.) That wouldn't destroy the historical nature of the bus. I don't think anyone here is too upset by the one with the Vanagon watercooled motor.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I stopped at Walgreens today and was only in there for a few minutes. But when I left, I found a surprise left for me on my Westerner!

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I saw a group of guys waving at me. So I pulled in and said hi. The one guy told me that he collected lunchboxes but he figured I needed that one after seeing my bus.

I think that's really nice of the guy. And the colors work.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collie wrote:
Bill Sullivan wrote:

And the auto tranny in the 73 was a vacuum assisted one, and not nearly as good as the later ones. But, that is what I would be looking for too! Very Happy

I don't think the 003 was so bad. I bought a 73 automatic years ago with a bad 3rd gear. Drove it 40 mile home in 2nd. Made more sense than a tow. I took it apart and put a kit in it. Put a new selector cable also. The motor was stock and they only had 62hp (CD) compared to the 4 speed's 1700 having 66hp (CB).
I drove the snot out of that thing for couple years before selling it. It was a lot of fun.
I've got some complete 003's available but they are from type 4's and use a different final drive assembly.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
False Alarm...

Until next time...
Peace Out Razz

I tried repeatedly to correspond with that guy. Did he ever get more pictures up? How much did it go for? Was that a high top?
Vanagons:
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion and my opinion only !

It needs to be the real deal a True Wild Westerner with the Wild Westerner Color Scheme .

So with that said, I know where a 79 bus with auto transmission and the body is basically gone. What I would like to know from the experts, would a 79 automatic transmission and engine bolt up without modification to a 73 manual transmission?

Its your dime so its your time.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly. You might have to weld something for the shifter or cable someplace. Not much. If you have the entire 1979 bus to take parts from. Wiring will need the Neutral safety switch but you could just split open the 79 harness and get the needed parts or just add it onto the wire at the starter.
79 had fuel injection of course, but that part is separate of the bus harness I think.
Al
Vanagons:
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information.
Thanks

If the event their is a fuel injection problem because it has been sitting for years, would it wise to convert to a weber single carb ?

Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
If the event their is a fuel injection problem because it has been sitting for years, would it wise to convert to a weber single carb ?

IMHO, that is never a wise decision. There are a TON of threads in this forum of people battling with carbs. There are also many threads of those battling FI.

BUT, with a couple simple tools, some patience and some research the FI can be the BEST thing for that FI motor. I have been running FI exclusively for 20 years and would never switch to a carb.

I have helped a couple guys put FI on bays (72+) and it is always worth it in the long run Cool

BUT, if you are a carb guy and like that sorta thing, then go for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK COOL... Fuel Injected is the way to go.

We had a post recently of a WW in a fenced lot in Texas we need the serial number and also need to know if it is for sale. We still have people wanting these animals.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly working on putting together a fuel injection kit to install in my Westerner.

It currently has the Weber carb which I've gotten to run pretty decent overall, though it certainly could be much better. Best mileage I've gotten with it is about 14.5.

At the same time, I'll install an 091 transmission I also have sitting around.

Need to give it a good looking over, though, as it has leaked some gear oil from the nose cone area. Guy I got it from said he may have pulled the nose cone to check it.

So I've gotta at least freshen up the transmission and track down a couple more parts for the FI. My hope is to get everything prepped and have as little down time as possible.

I'm pretty sure FI plus taller gearing will help out the mileage quite a bit.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the 091 leaking in the front- It is pretty easy to pull off the nose cone and push out the seal and the bushing and put in new parts. I have done this and also a new selector shaft, AKA "hockey stick". They both wear and contribute to sloppy stick and seal leakage at some point. Pretty easy job. If you want to get inside the main part of the box, you need a lot of special tools and you may want to pay someone else for this part. (It may not be necessary, they last quite well.) I'd drain and replace the lube and see how sparkly the old is, that is, does it have a lot of metal in it.
Common wisdom is always open the top lube hole first, then the lower, that way you never find yourself with a drained box you can't get refilled. More important if the gearbox in installed and the car drivable. I'm a fan of synthetic lube. Not for race cars, but for 4 season driving especially. The gearbox will work so much better in the winter.
Al
Vanagons:
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1805445

Anyone know anything about this one? Original owner so he should know I guess. No inside shots.
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good thing he covered that license plate with his digit Rolling Eyes

Buses don't stand out all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 94 of 169

Jump to: