Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Does anyone have the paint codes handy? I've scrolled through this thread for too long and haven't found them.

Thanks!

I'm thinking long and hard about pulling the WW into the garage for a quicky freshening.

The window seals are long dead and letting water in. I can literally see daylight through the windshield rubber in the bottom corner! The only real rust this machine has is from water coming in the seals and then getting trapped on the floor by the rubber mats.

I have JK slider windows for the middle and rear windows, and am on the hunt for a good windshield.

I figure if I can at least install fresh rubber, I'll be able to help preserve it until I can do a better resto further down the road.

I know I'll have to grind some rust out while the windows are out, so I'll need, at a minimum, some of the top color. I'm thinking I'll buy a couple matched rattle cans for now.

I've considered taking it further and replacing the headliner (has a few rips) and all that but I think I'll wait. I'm starting to make plans to buy a house with a bigger garage/shop.

While it is out of service waiting for paint to dry and such, I plan to pull the engine and trans, and swap in a freshened up 091 and fuel injection to better match the Vanagon motor it is running.

The Progressive carb induces a lot of cussing in colder weather, and the engine wouldn't mind lower RPMs on the highway.

I'm still undecided on whether I will install the BA6.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

This what I have:
L65K Ravenna Green
L64 M
The Blue Belt I do not have a specific color number however, i suggest you find a suitable color and paint it on. I used vinyl on the buses i re worked and it was a Royal Pain.

In other news i have a coworker that lives near Daytona Beach, Fl that is interested in a Wild Westerner. I called the owner we have listed on our Master List in Tampa and it has been sold to someone in the Ft Lauderdale area. The seller stated if he had known what he had he would not have sold it, therefore the new owner most likely does not know it is a WW.

In the past i have advocated to not notify sellers they own a WW to try and keep them reasonably priced, but now i feel too many are are being sold and most likely repainted different colors therefore I have changed thoughts.

If you spot any for sale please notify us and also notify the seller that it is a special edition.

Cuz

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
This what I have:
L65K Ravenna Green
L64 M
The Blue Belt I do not have a specific color number however, i suggest you find a suitable color and paint it on. I used vinyl on the buses i re worked and it was a Royal Pain.

In other news i have a coworker that lives near Daytona Beach, Fl that is interested in a Wild Westerner. I called the owner we have listed on our Master List in Tampa and it has been sold to someone in the Ft Lauderdale area. The seller stated if he had known what he had he would not have sold it, therefore the new owner most likely does not know it is a WW.

In the past i have advocated to not notify sellers they own a WW to try and keep them reasonably priced, but now i feel too many are are being sold and most likely repainted different colors therefore I have changed thoughts.

If you spot any for sale please notify us and also notify the seller that it is a special edition.

Cuz

Thanks Cuz.

I'm nowhere near a full repaint, just want to get rid of the rust in the windows.

Now that I have a Westerner, I'm all for the prices to go up! Wink

I have started printing out a copy of any ad I see, just in case worse came to worse and I had to prove value to the insurance company.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
This what I have:
L65K Ravenna Green
L64 M

L65K Ravenna Green over
L64M Apple Green, and the blue stripe at the belt line is
L51P, Olympic Blue

Now that I have got the Apple Green color matched, all three colors should be available by code in single stage paint at any Sherwin-Williams Automotive store. I have bought cans of the first two and the match is very good.

Bill Sullivan wrote:
<snip>

Cuz

Although I have been saving this for a project bus, I do have this rare 9-seater that I would part with for the right price:
http://vw.tauxe.net/jellybean

It is a great project, but is fourth in line behind a 1978 double cab, a 1975 single cab and a 1972 Sportsmobile. Last summer I got the engine running with Colin, and drove it around just to make sure it functions. But after sitting for 10 years, everything needs going through.

Have your friend contact me if he is interested.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.

Can someone who has the ability add the paint code info onto the first post, so these don't eventually get buried?

I like that 9-seater!

I do occasionally look for a 3-passenger middle seat to turn mine into an 8-seater. I've hauled 8 once or twice as it is in the ole Westerner. I don't think there is a way to safely add a front middle seat without welding stuff. If there was, I'd do that too.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Thoughts on Grace and Looking at the Big Picture.

I know I've made mention here and there at times, but I'm a foster parent to three teenage boys. It can certainly get very stressful at times, and pretty wild and crazy! But overall it has been a great experience for me.

My oldest boy, TC, is 18 and a Senior. He'll be with me until the end of the school year when he graduates. He wouldn't admit it, but he is pretty sensitive to the feelings of others but at the same time is somewhat insecure in knowing that I and others truly care about him. Tonight I let him take my '02 Golf TDI to a friend's house, while the middle kiddo (youngest is on a visit) and I went to one of my friends house for a movie and football watching.

About an hour ago, TC called me. The first thing he said was, "Promise you won't hate me!" I'm sure any parent reading this knows that this phrase is sure to set off all kinds of alarm bells!

To back up a bit, the Golf has a block heater. Not because it won't start in the winter, but because I hate being cold and that gets the heater going almost immediately. And it is good for the engine to start warm.

The Westerner is backed up to the garage at the moment, because I'm preparing to pull it in and start doing a few winter projects to it. I spent most of the day prepping an 091 transmission to install as a part of the projects.

The power cord for the Golf's heater ran from the outlet by the garage door, down the driveway, and the end was roughly lined up with the front bumper of the Westerner.

So TC calls me saying, "Promise you won't hate me!"

As he pulled into the driveway, he was trying to avoid hitting the power cord. So he turned the car to the right a little bit.

And hit the front passenger door of the Westerner with the front passenger corner of the Golf!

I assured him that I didn't hate him, and that I would be home shortly. He was outside within moments of my arrival home.

We inspected the damage together. The Golf's plastic bumper cover is cracked and loose in that corner, and the edge of the fender is scraped and creased, and has some green paint on it. The door of the Westerner has a few scrapes, a "soft" dent, and the yellow reflector is broken. The Bus definitely won this time!

After inspecting the damage, TC was apologizing profusely. I gave him a hug, told him I forgave him, and that it was a mistake he could learn from, though in the future I'd much rather he hit the cord than the Bus.

And that tomorrow he can help me secure the bumper cover on the Golf!

Once inside the house, I walked back to his room and said, "You know I really like the green Bus. But as much as I like it, you boys are much more important to me." He acted like he was unsure if he believed me, so I added that the fact that I wasn't screaming at him should be pretty good evidence! Smile

Later on, I was reflecting on the whole thing. Often times, we focus on stuff that doesn't really matter in the end and get all worked up and angry at things that really aren't important in the Big Picture. I could get worked up and angry that my 1 of 60 Wild Westerner Buses has a couple scrapes and a dent, or I can show grace to a kid who made a mistake and help him feel loved.

In this analogy, the Bus is both the Big Picture and the Small Picture. It's the small picture because it really is less important than any of my kids. I doubt that this will be the only scrape or ding that the Westerner will suffer as I continue to foster kids. I also doubt that it will be the most frustrating thing that happens--by a long shot!

It is also the Big Picture in that it symbolizes how too often we focus on the small stuff (the extension cord) and we end up damaging the Big Picture stuff-be it relationships with others, or whatever.

Pics added Sunday morning. The dent just behind the bumper, just in front of the door, is old-from before I got the Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

By pic I would say Dent pro could pop those out on the bus and a little polish and buff you would not know it was there. The GTi on the other hand looks like it needs a fender.
Attitude is everything.
Tcash
g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Well, saw a local ad with Wild Westerner colors underneath a repaint...so i had to grab it up!! Lol.
I really didnt need another one at all, but couldnt resist.
Anybody wanna run the m-code and post for me?
I will post more pics in the next couple days.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

g_man wrote:
Well, saw a local ad with Wild Westerner colors underneath a repaint...so i had to grab it up!! Lol.
I really didnt need another one at all, but couldnt resist.
Anybody wanna run the m-code and post for me?
I will post more pics in the next couple days.

Hover over pic. Write click>Open link in new tab

Start a thread and post some pix.
Good luck
Tcash
g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Tcash! You're awesome, thanks.

This makes 2 for me...
Im pretty sure i wont be keeping both, but now my brain keeps a radar for the WW colors. Lol.

The guy i got it from said he bought it up in tahoe area a few years back, drove it alot for several years until engine seemed a bit tired and leaky. He pulled the engine to overhaul, but never did it.
He then proceeded to tear out the entire interior and start disassembly to do a repaint...I wish he hadnt, but oh well.
It has had one repaint outside only of dark metallic green.
It has a little rust here and there (probably from being in snowy Tahoe area), but nothing super major.
Worst rust is along edge of sunroof opening.

How many sunroof models are known?

Anyway, i took posession yesterday and will post some pictures later today.
Clean title, but has been parked for 2 years without a nonop filed. Thats ok with me, probably a couple hundred in backfees. Still wellllll worth grabbing in an addict's view!! Haha

What's the current total count of WW? I went through lots of the thread, but couldnt find most recent total.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Don't know if you have seen this one.
http://topclassicsforsale.com/volkswagen/43228-1973-vw-type-2-bus-wild-westerner.html
Tcash
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
http://topclassicsforsale.com/volkswagen/43228-1973-vw-type-2-bus-wild-westerner.html
Tcash

That looks like a pretty decent bus, actually.

Did you notice that there is another one on that site? A high top!
http://topclassicsforsale.com/volkswagen/40422-vol...-1973.html
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

That looks like a pretty decent bus, actually.

Did you notice that there is another one on that site? A high top!

This one was posted just below that one. It seems real familiar, I think maybe it has been posted advertised somewhere else in the past.

I think a sunroof or a high top WW would be pretty sweet, but I currently have mine torn apart in the garage so I don't think I need any more at the moment.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I think a sunroof or a high top WW would be pretty sweet, but I currently have mine torn apart in the garage so I don't think I need any more at the moment.

An automatic sunroof WW with a subie conversion..... <drool>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Fixed your post. Very Happy

Collie wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

An automatic sunroof WW with a TDI conversion..... <drool>

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Recently I received an email from Jeff from Grover Beach California. Jeff has acquired a Wild Westerner that may be the best looking WW yet to surface.
Hopefully soon, Jeff will provide pictures of the bus along with a picture of the m-code plate.

Cuz

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I found this ad the other day when someone at work refrenced "your scooby doo bus." I was showing him the difference!

Note the sticker on the rear window. It is a different sticker than has been spotted on a different WW.

http://www.2040-cars.com/Volkswagen/Bus-Vanagon/1973-volkswagen-passenger-bus-wild-westerner-996786/

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Far Out. Cool

That is an excellent article/ad...

I was looking for a date to see how old the ad is and did not find it. I'm curious how the seller came up with 150 built and also if we have that WW listed ?

Be Cool on your Stool !

Until next time,
Peace Out Razz

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

In a paint color thread that I cannot seem to find now, someone asked if I could post the recipes for the paint codes that I had got from Sherwin-Williams Automotive. Here goes (and if anyone finds that thread again, please let me know). These are the values from the sticker on the can.

Base Paint: Dimension DM628

L65K Ravenna Green:
Code:

DM628 Base Paint 75.77 g
DM529 Clean Yel  70.89 g
DM528 Ferrite    16.63 g
DM504 Yellow G    3.29 g
DM522 Strong W    0.08 g

L64M Apple Green: (I think they struggled a bit with this one)
Code:

DM628 Base Paint 77.50 g
DM529 Clean Yel  52.43 g
DM505 Green      17.64 g
DM526 Red Yell   12.58 g
DM510 Blue        2.29 g
DM524 Dark Yel    1.91 g
DM504 Yellow G    0.95 g
DM500 Strong B    0.48 g
DM511 Blue Gre    0.48 g
DM522 Strong W    0.29 g

I believe that these are both in their system, as was Olympic Blue (the stripe color).
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
In a paint color thread that I cannot seem to find now, someone asked if I could post the recipes for the paint codes that I had got from Sherwin-Williams Automotive. Here goes (and if anyone finds that thread again, please let me know).

Was it this one.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 101 of 169

Jump to: