Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
finished polishing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

next I will finish and test the electrical

Is that a copper coil used to remove water in an air line in the background ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
finished polishing

next I will finish and test the electrical

Is that a copper coil used to remove water in an air line in the background ?

Sure is. 50 ft of copper with a drop down drain tube. I have had no moisture in the trap since I installed it. The coil cools the charged air down to a point where the moisture can condense then trickle down to the drain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Great ! Would you happen to have a better picture of the copper coil ? I just bought a two stage 80 gallon compressor , it got old running out of air.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I just read your thread from start to finish and compliment you on your great work. You are in the home stretch now! You've come up with some creative solutions to some difficult problems. I can't wait to see your Ghia finished!
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Cider Guy -I looked and I have no more picts of the copper coil. If I clear some space in front of it I will take another shot.
Bills85Westy - thank you for the kind words. I learned most of my skills in Scale auto modeling. Break down your project into multiple smaller projects. Since you can not just go buy parts for scale models for a project you learn how to make it yourself. I just had to do things on a larger scale. One project after the next, rack em up and knock them down Cool
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I installed the front and rear hood seals. Got the window winder mechanism installed and the door latch mechanicals installed also.
It appears that I am going to need to add spacers under the rear shock tower mounts to get the top of the door gap down to at least 4mm. I ordered some .125in aluminum to make the spacers.
I worked on polishing the aluminum door weather strip channels that go over the doors. Mine were really beat up bad so I will do what my skills and tools allow.

Odd finding is that the body color was found inside the channels. Were these entirely painted from the factory?

Hood latches go in next and final front hood alignment.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
I installed the front and rear hood seals. Got the window winder mechanism installed and the door latch mechanicals installed also.
It appears that I am going to need to add spacers under the rear shock tower mounts to get the top of the door gap down to at least 4mm. I ordered some .125in aluminum to make the spacers.
I worked on polishing the aluminum door weather strip channels that go over the doors. Mine were really beat up bad so I will do what my skills and tools allow.

Odd finding is that the body color was found inside the channels. Were these entirely painted from the factory?

Hood latches go in next and final front hood alignment.

If you have any pictures of how you fixed the door gaps, it would be very helpful I think to many.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
If you have any pictures of how you fixed the door gaps, it would be very helpful I think to many.

Go to the technical section, tab in upper right corner of the page. In the Ghia section go to the 1960 Body manual. First download and save the PDF as it has a ton of information. Around page 20-23 it goes over in detail setting the gaps for the windows. Having a proper door gap is essential in getting a decent seal around the windows. There is a diagram of the spacer needed and a description of how to complete the process.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

This was the trial fit......and I mean it was a trial.

I finally gave up on attaching the chrome strip with the aftermarket clips. I found the originals and reconditioned those, then the license plate light chrome when right on without problem.
The tail lights have also been a difficult task. There was no body damage in this area but these lenses and rubber seals were not close to fitting out of the box. I have done a lot of trimming to the inner lip of the seals and I have done some reshaping of the bulb holders. I am also going to run long screws through the lens to the inside of the body and add an internal nut. I can't get a good fit without that addition. Who would have thought these few items would take a few days Mad
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Got the horns in

The fuel tank is being tested for any leaks at the fuel tap

I used a shift boot to reduce any air intrusion through the steering shaft.

One by one the projects are done Smile
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

That shift boot is genius!

German Folks
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:

My '58 feels totally inadequate now Sad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
lonotch wrote:

My '58 feels totally inadequate now Sad

Mine will need to endure the So Cal rain not that English stuff Wink It does not rain often but when it does.........LOL
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Question above about adjusting the door gap with spacers over the shock tower body mount.
First is an example of a thin spacer I have

Here is a picture of the spacers installed. It took many trial and errors with different sized rubber and metal spacers. Finally got both doors to the 4mm per the Body Manual.

Here are two pictures of the clips I made that retain the rubber weather strip to the door.

I got the door windows out of storage and cleaned them off for the first time. Passenger glass has deep scratches. I sanded and polished all day and I could not get them out. I had to go to such a heavy grit trying to get to the bottom of the scratches that the window just cant be saved.

SO, the hunt is now on for a passenger window. I have a window from a later Ghia that I placed over the original, drivers side. It appears that if I can find someone to cut the bottom edge that the remainder of the shape is the same. Anyone else ever tried that?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
SO, the hunt is now on for a passenger window. I have a window from a later Ghia that I placed over the original, drivers side. It appears that if I can find someone to cut the bottom edge that the remainder of the shape is the same. Anyone else ever tried that?

I believe those side windows are tempered rather than laminated so they'll likely explode if you attempt to cut them. You might have some success sanding them down if you're not needing to remove too much material. If you do attempt either be sure to wear gloves and safety glasses.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:

I believe those side windows are tempered rather than laminated so they'll likely explode if you attempt to cut them. You might have some success sanding them down if you're not needing to remove too much material. If you do attempt either be sure to wear gloves and safety glasses.

I have decided to go for it with a full blown scratch removal. I ordered various grits of wet dry disc.

Wish me luck
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Fabricating a holder for the wiper fluid bottle which will use a pump. The holder will have rubber tubing over it and it will hook into the body openings where the body to beam bolts are.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Fabricating a holder for the wiper fluid bottle which will use a pump. The holder will have rubber tubing over it and it will hook into the body openings where the body to beam bolts are.

Nice tidy solution yourself. Paint looks fantastic. Love the colour as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Well the wiper reservoir is in, the pump is in and wired up, the hose to the ANCO nozzles is in. This car had one ANCO nozzle/jets when I got it and luckily I found a pair of NOS nozzles.
The jack and spare are in place to make sure all fits good.

the nozzles and the wiper shafts installed
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

After days and days and.............days and days of polishing this once heavily and deeply scratched passenger window glass is a good as its going to get.

I think the drivers window may even be worse. I have ordered a heavier grit stone polishing pad to see if I can cut to the bottom of the scratches quicker.

Last edited by djway3474 on Sun May 01, 2016 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: