Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
Hi Marlonius --
That shot ws not taken at Lake Louise, but north. I used Google Earth, Google Street View and people's contributed Panoramio photos to figure it out, like Trikky 2 did for me with that photo of the castle along the Rhine River.

Here's a link to the street view:
http://goo.gl/maps/UXrST

I think it's Mount Jimmy Simpson, north of Bow Lake. The photo site looks like its about 31km north of the junction of 93 and 1 near Lake Louise.

Crazy technology. Nowhere is safe, people! Put on your tinfoil hats! ("tinfoil tuques" for my Canadian friends!)

Stuart Bitchfoot wrote:
youve got MORE???? Very Happy Very Happy

Yep. Very Happy

Fantastic! I love seeing the angles of old photos re-created or found. I was hoping to find it myself, but am not quite so slick at Google Earth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnydog, I just spent too much time here at work reading this entire post, it is awesome. It makes me want to go home, get my kids loaded up in the bus and set out for an adventure, thanks for that.
I'm curious; you didn't mention what became of your original engine. What did you do with it? I think a fitting tribute is in order for an engine that served for 212K miles, don't you? I suggest this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, since you still have your original WA license plates why not register it to your bus and use it? I use a period correct WA plate on my 1970 Westy and it is permanently registered to the bus and it is even listed on the title! Just a suggestion. Thanks again for the inspirational story.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddb_67 wrote:
Sunnydog, I just spent too much time here at work reading this entire post, it is awesome. It makes me want to go home, get my kids loaded up in the bus and set out for an adventure, thanks for that.

Thanks! I'm glad you and others are enjoying this and I am also glad that I have something to give back to the Samba in exchange for all the info I get here. You should really take those kids on an adventure and post up some pictures! Do it soon -- mine just left for college without really any bus-vacation-time to look back on at all Sad

Quote:
I'm curious; you didn't mention what became of your original engine. What did you do with it?
Well, all that original German steel is still down at the rebuilders and I am trying to figure that out. Mrs. Sunnydog would note that your coffee table idea does not go with the decor.

Quote:
Also, since you still have your original WA license plates why not register it to your bus and use it?

I went ot the DMV with the original plates and asked for the restored license plate and nice lady looked at my old plates and shook her head "no" -- they did not have the '71 tabs. So I immediately switched to apply for the Collector's Vehicle plate. She told me I could only use the bus for parades or for shows or on special excursions. I nodded! Having read the regulations in advance I also knew I could drive it for "testing purposes". I figure between "testing" (who isn't always tweaking something and wondering if it is running better?) or "special excursions" (which is what I'm doing every time I drive it) I was good.

And if I get pulled over while slowing more than seven cars on some steep hill, I'll just tell the officer I am leading a parade! Very Happy

And now I will demonstrate (as if y'all couldn't already tell) that I am a total nerd:

I will mail 3 Canadian $5 bills to the first person who posts a picture of their bus next to that rock!

PS: (See, I accidently brought back some some Canadian currency from my last visit and can't do anything with it stateside.)

PPS: Legal disclaimer and small print: this is not a contest. I am merely offering to help recoup some of your gas cost. And getting some cheap entertainment while I am at it! Very Happy
Marlonius, is it going to be you?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pic is so cool!!! I can't wait until you travel there and recreate it Wink

And hey, if I ever head up towards Alberta, I'll volunteer to be the second bus Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Conquest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the new post in this thread... went and got some ice cream, then came back to the couch to enjoy it.

Love this thread, Sunnydog.
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:

I will mail 3 Canadian $5 bills to the first person who posts a picture of their bus next to that rock!

PS: (See, I accidently brought back some some Canadian currency from my last visit and can't do anything with it stateside.)

PPS: Legal disclaimer and small print: this is not a contest. I am merely offering to help recoup some of your gas cost. And getting some cheap entertainment while I am at it! Very Happy
Marlonius, is it going to be you?

Don't tell anyone, but my camping vehicle is a '74 Ford Econoline. So, the best I could do would be that van, since our '66 Ghia isn't a great one for that sort of vacation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a personalized plate or a classic plate? You can drive with those. And not fair- I live 3000 miles away from that rock! Lol
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, it's not that. We drive the Ghia lots. It's just that the Ford van is way better for camping in, so the Ghia never makes it out to the mountains.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait to see a picture of your bus next to that rock. What a great story.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sleuthing! I'd offer an additional Canadian $5 for a second bus in the picture coming up the hill, preferably a white one...Wink
Great pictures! Smile
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlonius:
During the grunge music era, I spent years driving band gear from gig to gig around the PNW in a '71 Ford Econoline. I've got all kinds of stories about improvised repairs to keep that beast on the road. But don't worry, your secret is safe!

1967250s:
In WA, the collector's plate is equivalent to the classic plate. You are simply not supposed to be using it as a daily driver. And once registered as a collector's vehicle, no annual tab renewals are needed. But then on a slow news day in WA this scathing investigative takedown Very Happy happened: "Cheaters with Beaters"! (4min video, but entertaining! VW goodness starts at 1:48 )
http://www.kirotv.com/videos/news/some-skirt-classic-car-rules-to-get-free-car-tabs/vFzjL/

Kirk and asiab3:
So I actually rolled Glacier Banff Icefields Parkway to Jasper again around 1996, having never seen these photos from 1974, and not even remembering that my family had already done it when I was 6. I did have a weird sense of deja vu while on the 1996 trip. Plenty of VW bus photos from '96, too. But none by that rock.

And the standing offer from me is for a photo of SOMEBODY ELSE'S bus there! It's like a scavanger hunt to 39 years ago. Find that rock!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/news/some-skirt-classic-car-rules-to-get-free-car-tabs/vFzjL/

retards need to mind their own business....Rolling Eyes

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
sunnydog wrote:

retards need to mind their own business....Rolling Eyes

Very right wing of you to say Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Conquest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:

I showed this to my wife... she's said "wow, thats sooo cool". Naturally, I thought she was being sarcastic and was ready to argue with her, but she was being serious. So I decided to press my luck and said let's go take a picture next to it. It's only 1700 miles... then she reminded me that the last time we tried to go to Canada in the bus they would let me in. Embarassed
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest wrote:
sunnydog wrote:

I showed this to my wife... she's said "wow, thats sooo cool". Naturally, I thought she was being sarcastic and was ready to argue with her, but she was being serious. So I decided to press my luck and said let's go take a picture next to it. It's only 1700 miles... then she reminded me that the last time we tried to go to Canada in the bus they would let me in. Embarassed

Very Sunnydogish I might ad as well Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Baywinners! I have a particularly nerdy post today! My '71 bus has the 697 M-Code which returns "Continental tyres".

I mentioned a while ago that I still had the original spare tire, but that it was cracked and half flat and wasn't gonna do me any good if I needed to put it on. So I was gifted a 7/70 bus rim that is a tight five (?... I thought August 1 was the new production year, so this rim must be right as they made the '70 wide five/'71 tight five transition) and I got a new 185R14 LT rated spare.

Before I put the old original one in the attic I remembered that the Baywindow Tire Sticky has 135 pages of name-calling and finger-pointing. Just for kicks I thought maybe somebody (yeah, calling all nerds) would want to see a stock tire. So here you go...

Continental with the rearing horse logo; Deutsches Fabrikat:

Stock size: 7.00-14

And USA load rating:

Now if you'll excuse me, I've had a long day working on the bus and raking up leaves and doing yardwork. I 've gotta get a refreshing beverage and sit down. I'm tired. This post tired me out. That Tire Sticky? Tiring.
Laughing
AudioFanatix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending an embarrassing amount of time reading this thread, this has got to be one of my favorite stories on here. Those photos of your dad are pretty darn awesome!

Can't wait to see more.
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AudioFanatix wrote:
After spending an embarrassing amount of time reading this thread, this has got to be one of my favorite stories on here. Those photos of your dad are pretty darn awesome!

Can't wait to see more.

Yep, this is the only thread I am subscribed too. Love following this one. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get a few more miles on the bus before the nasty weather really sets in. The closest gas station to my house just started pumping no-ethanol 92 supreme! Very Happy at $4.49 a gallon Shocked. I'm only getting 16.5 MPG, but I didn't buy the good stuff because I am still trying to limit the number of variables in play, and I know I am running a little too rich already.

Took an hour's tour around town dodging rainstorms, looking for a reasonable fall color picture:

Still babying it along in the 500 mile motor break-in stage, but nearing the end of that. The valves don't sound noisy, so I don't think they are moving around very much. Just a little while longer and I'll re-verify the valves, points and timing. Once I know all that is solid and not floating around, then I'll start to fine-tune the carb and take care of the air/fuel ratio. I mean... I always wanted to be rich, but I guess maybe not like this...

Went to Home Despot to pick up supplies for tomorrow's project and drove back the long way out in the country; hopped out to take one last photo before sunset.

It is so much fun to drive the old bus around! I had forgotten how many people smile and stare, wave, laugh, point and throw out the peace sign.
Definitely not an inconspicuous ride!
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiles and waves, I know the feeling ! Great photos, good to see it on the road again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 26

Jump to: