Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first VW - 1959 European beetle w semaphores
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
longlostphifty9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: My first VW - 1959 European beetle w semaphores Reply with quote

hello everyone new member here,. i had my first car back in high school like many of us. 1959 European beetle w semaphores. i got the car fairly cheap and was daily driver. i owned the car for about 2 yrs and had my ups and downs with it. I moved away from home and lost interest due to me purchasing a newer truck so i sold it not thinking twice about what would be of the car.............as life would have it i grew up got married had my daughter and son, but i always had the passion to own another vw like my first car. During that 13 years i managed to buy a few vws here and there but nothing that i ever had the time to finish and actually sit behind the wheel of...... Well ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to say that i have finally found her. After 13 years i casually ran into the person i sold it too and they still had it. So i made my offer and i brought her home. the car is immaculate for sitting uncovered under a tree, on a trailer, for most of the last decade. i will post pictures soon, its a time capsule. i found my manual, and even the can of carb cleaner i had in the trunk. The p.o. only drove it for 2 weeks then parked it. my first question was " why do you still have it?", "something told me it wasnt right to sell it".
awesome.. Surprised greatest thing ever!! "DRIVER FOUND"
cruisinvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats so cool man! Cool Im in the process of selling my first vw; a 1965 bug and i already know im going to miss it and will never ever find one like it. Would defenitely love to see some pictures man!
Early 1960 L349 Jade Green type 1
January 1960 L41 Black type 1
1973 thing
carcass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is a cool story!
Last Christmas,I happened to stumble across the email address of the person I bought my '62 rag from 21 years ago,so I sent him some pix of how she looks now - when I bought it from him ,he made me promise I wasn't going to "slam it,chop it,or Baja it"(which I had no intention of doing,anyway).
He was pretty amazed,told me how him and his girlfriend(now his wife for lotsa years) used to cruise everywhere in it all those years ago-lot of fond memories attached to that little car(as there seems to be with quite a few old Bugs)
Great to hear you got yours back after all these years-good luck with it-start making memories in it-Bugs are great for that!
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my60 bug back in 95 and still have her.8 years ago I tore it apart and started to do a pan off.Well life got in the way and it sat for 5 years under the parents deck.So with all the project cars sold I drug it down to my house to start what I should have done years ago.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a cool story. Most of them don't have a happy ending like that.
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave me goose bumps, that was a great story, good for you!!!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Im looking forward to the pics. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
longlostphifty9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well here are some pictures after its first bath after 13 years...im amazed at how good she cleaned up. if anyone has info on this car it would be greatly appreciated. does anyone know why it has semaphores? i purchased this car as a kid and never looked into its history..
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

[/img]
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Baby back at home Reply with quote

Awesome story! My first 3 cars were beetles. I never got over not having one. You are a lucky man to be able to reunite with an old friend. Keep us posted.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525849&highlight=stute

http://stutethewonderbug.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, did you find this car on Craigslist? I think I remember seeing it on there. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
longlostphifty9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I think at one point the p.o. brother tried to sell it. I had this car back in 98
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on being reunited w/ your car, that's a cool story! Your car looks very nice.

I know the feeling, I just brought my bug home that I've owned since 88, but haven't seen for the last 10 years... big Smile 's

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

69 Type 1, 68 Type 1, 73 914 2.0, 76 911S Targa....all gone but not forgotten Smile
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Wait, did you find this car on Craigslist? I think I remember seeing it on there. Confused

longlostphifty9 wrote:
no, I think at one point the p.o. brother tried to sell it. I had this car back in 98

I knew I had seen it for sale somewhere! Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1333162
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: My first VW - 1959 European beetle w semaphores Reply with quote

It was for sale on Samba in July 2012 with the same exact pictures and still shows it listed for sale now.

Here is the link where it still shows the car for sale:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1333162

I wonder who is who. The guy selling this car says he drove it in high school for 2-weeks then parked it for a while and now gave it a bath to sell it.

stale air wrote:

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story,

Here is my story on my first car a 59 VW Beetle as well.

Here is my first car that I sold after high school, but was able to get it back 8-years later, a 1959 bug that my dad gave me. It was yellow outside with the original color inside (Garnet Red) . I drove it when I was in high school.

I did not have much money to redo it when I was in high school. It was mostly original except for the decklid, someone along the way put a convertible 59 decklid on it, it had a 36-hp, 6-volt, original tore up headliner, flowery hippie carpet. The original rubber floor mats & the tunnel mat where still in the car under the hippie carpet when I tore it out, vinyl seats, no radio.

Before I sold it I had it repainted burgundy (this is still the same color and paint on it now that you see in the picture), bought all new rubber seals & installed them, installed a rebuilt 40-hp, converted it to 12-volts, removed the body moldings, plugged the holes to go with euro bumpers, went wit cal style rubber on windows, had all the interior done in grey velor, went with the chrome smoothie wheels & Porsche hubcaps, lowered the front, added a stainless fire wall. Then it sat in the garage, I would drive it on the weekends, then decided to sell it. Even though I sold the car I kept most of the original parts I took off, like the 36-hp motor, the stock wheels, all 4 original door panels (in good condition), etc.

Later in life I wanted the car back. The years went by & I bought and sold a bunch of other VW's. Then one day I thought about my first car & that I should have kept it. So I started looking for it. Then one day I was in my back yard & heard the sound of a VW driving by so I looked over the fence & it was my first car. So my first car would drive by my house almost every day about the same time. One day I went to look at a 59 bug for my younger brother which was the same year as my car & started talking to the guy that was selling the car about me looking for my car & he said that the guy that owns it works for Pizza place on a certain street. So one day when I was home my car drove by & I decided to go down to the pizza place to see if it was there & there it was sitting in the parking lot. So I went inside & talked to the guy about selling it to me & he said he would sell it, but he had to get another car first. So the process took a while, but I finally was able to buy it back. The guy I got it back from bought it from the girl I sold it to. The car had black CA plates when I sold it, now it has white CA ugly plates, but O well at least I got the car back. I have never wanted to buy any of my cars back that I have sold except for this car.

So now I have had the car for a few years. Looking for the original parts to put it back to the original look (with Aarons help as my guide). I am going to put back the body moldings, the American style bumpers, moldings on the window seals, etc.

Here is a current picture of my 59 as it looks now in the first picture with the Empi wheels, took the Centerlines off.

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

64airball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I thought the OP said he brought the car home, washed it and took THAT picture... but that at is listed for sale here with the same pictures and the ad was placed on July 15th? Something is not adding up Rolling Eyes
Cool story tho
longlostphifty9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea that was my ad rite after I bought it back. hard times but have since decide to keep it and decided to share my story about it. sorry for the misunderstanding
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvolks1 wrote:
Great story,

Here is my story on my first car a 59 VW Beetle as well.

Here is my first car that I sold after high school, but was able to get it back 8-years later, a 1959 bug that my dad gave me. It was yellow outside with the original color inside (Garnet Red) . I drove it when I was in high school.

I did not have much money to redo it when I was in high school. It was mostly original except for the decklid, someone along the way put a convertible 59 decklid on it, it had a 36-hp, 6-volt, original tore up headliner, flowery hippie carpet. The original rubber floor mats & the tunnel mat where still in the car under the hippie carpet when I tore it out, vinyl seats, no radio.

Before I sold it I had it repainted burgundy (this is still the same color and paint on it now that you see in the picture), bought all new rubber seals & installed them, installed a rebuilt 40-hp, converted it to 12-volts, removed the body moldings, plugged the holes to go with euro bumpers, went with cal style rubber on windows, had all the interior done in grey velor, went with the chrome Mangal wheels & Porsche hubcaps, lowered the front, added a stainless fire wall. Then it sat in the garage, I would drive it on the weekends, then decided to sell it. Even though I sold the car I kept most of the original parts I took off, like the 36-hp motor, the stock wheels, all 4 original door panels (in good condition), etc.

Later in life I wanted the car back. The years went by & I bought and sold a bunch of other VW's. Then one day I thought about my first car & that I should have kept it. So I started looking for it. Then one day I was in my back yard & heard the sound of a VW driving by so I looked over the fence & it was my first car. So my first car would drive by my house almost every day about the same time. One day I went to look at a 59 bug for my younger brother which was the same year as my car & started talking to the guy that was selling the car about me looking for my car & he said that the guy that owns it works for a Pizza place on a certain street. So one day when I was home my car drove by & I decided to go down to the pizza place to see if it was there & there it was sitting in the parking lot. So I went inside & talked to the guy about selling it to me & he said he would sell it, but he had to get another car first. So the process took a while, but finally I was able to buy it back. The guy I got it back from bought it from the girl I sold it to. The car had black CA plates when I sold it, but now has white CA ugly plates, but O well at least I got the car back. I have never wanted to buy any of my cars back that I have sold except for this car.

So now I have had the car for a few years. I have been looking for the original parts to put it back to the original look (with Aarons help as my guide). I am going to put back the body moldings, the American style bumpers, moldings on the window seals, etc.

Here is a current picture of my 59 as it looks now in the first picture with Empi 5-spoke wheels, I had Centerlines wheels on it at one point in the second picture.

Greg!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have two different usernames on here?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why it has semaphores?
You asked that question. The body does look like a Europeon body as it does not have holes in the body for the fender overridders. Enjoy it and keep it stock.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: