Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Joe's 1957 Double Door Panel Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Joe's 1957 Double Door Panel Build Reply with quote

I decided to start a build thread for my brother's 1957 double door panel. All work is being performed at my shop, Independent German Auto in Merritt Island, FL.

The bus original came out of Texas but was purchased a few months back in Florida without any running gear. As far as we can tell the bus has been off the road for a long time, perhaps 20-30 years. It's in pretty good condition, considering it was a commercial vehicle, and has never been painted or had body work performed. The bus has all the typical lower rust but nothing too severe. It looks to have had logos for 2 different businesses in its past, unfortunately they have been sanded off leaving primer over most of the upper parts of the bus. The plan is to convert the rear end to IRS using modified early bay control arms/bearing carriers, early bay ball joint front end, and a 1956cc stroker motor. The suspension will sit tall with stock bus 15" rims and Super Traxion tires.

I've done a few straight axle conversions and IRS swaps using beetle parts but I liked the idea of using the early bay window parts with larger brakes, ball joints, etc. We plan on having the bus ready for Bulli Brigade in November. For the purists, all parts can be swapped back if desired with no consequences in not much more than a weekend.

We've been working on the bus for the past six weeks on and off as time permits when I am not working on customer cars. Here it is in the beginning.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting the bay window rear end components wasn't too difficult. The early bay spring plate up to 71 fits on the split bus torsion bar without any modifications necessary. The early bay torsion bar is too long and doesn't work. However, the splines are the same both inner and outer when compared to the split-era parts. So you use the 68-71 spring plate with the split bus torsion bar. Some new rubber doughnuts and everything is ready to mock up.

When you mate up the bearing carrier to the spring plate with the early control arm you will see that the arm is too long and basically winds up at the center of longitudinal engine support. Solution is to narrow the control arm. In this case 80mm shorter would move the pivot point just outside the engine support.

First thing we did was make a jig that mounts the base of the control arm and uses 12mm threaded rod to plot the line where the pivot needs to be relocated to. You can't see it in the picture but there is a 15mm sleeve that locates the arms base and a rail that the base butts up against. Then all you have to do is clamp it down. Jam nuts can be moved up or down to set the height of the bushing carrier/end of the arm. Pretty simple.

I had a piece of .120 wall 1.5" DOM tubing bent at both ends to 60 degrees to form the new arm. I sleeved and rosette welded them for strength then tig'd it all together. Pivot bushings were also changed with new OE VW bushings. Nice and strong!

The pivot boxes were carefully cut from the doner 71 torsion tube we bought earlier and fit perfectly up against the split bus torsion tube. After measuring, checking and then measuring again, the pivot boxes are tack welded in place to check fitment. Once everything looks good and square they are thoroughly welded in place.

(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Looks like it will be a cool panel!

There are only a few splits in all of Brevard county that I am aware of.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all sorts of splits around here. Laughing

(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! Love it! Are those at your shop on a regular basis? I'd love to check them out in person.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to see this thing come together. I need to get my bus down there for some luvin'.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress. We purchased a super rusty and clapped out 68 Westy to use for parts. This thing was way too rusty to justify fixing. You couldn't even open the rear hatch without it falling off and the roof is nearly separated in places with huge gaping rust holes.

We are going to use the front ball joint beam and brakes to complement the IRS rear end. Since we are using big meaty tires the added height will not be an issue. Also the rear end can now be raised or lowered without affecting the camber and the ride height can be set as desired. The front camber is also adjustable with the ball joint front end. Just another benefit of the bay window front end.

As usual the Westy's front end was in need of nearly everything. The ball joints were toast as were two of the four tie rod ends. The only thing that was still in good shape was the center pin. It looks like it was done recently. Late bus ball joints absolutely suck but can be removed fairly easily if you have a welder, grinder, and a pneumatic air chisel. This is probably better suited for the Bay bus forums but oh well.

Cleaning years of accumulated crud off the beam with the needle scaler.

Removing uprights from arms with the big Kukko separator.

Ground down backside of ball joint. This allows center pin to be pushed through only leaving the outer shell.

Welding around circumference shrinks outer shell which can then be tapped out with the air chisel. This is how some shops remove valve seats.

Rebuilt rear carriers and front arms cleaned and ready to go.

Partially cleaned beam.

Painted beam. Not a show car just a driver.

Fresh and ready to be installed. Should be like new. Hopefully, the steering box isn't too worn out.

More progress to come soon. Bulli-brigade is just around the corner.
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tutorial! Thanks for posting the pics and the step-by-step. Did the BJs press in pretty easily?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they go in without any trouble if you use a good hydraulic press with the right sized sleeve. I also use a VW 401 or 402 "X" plate on the press which is super handy for all kinds of press jobs. Another thing, I always brush a little anti-sieze on the splines before I press them in. It helps them go in easier and may help if they need to come out again in the future. Cool, I'm glad pics were helpful.

Josh
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love this Panel.
The pressed bumpers and double doors are cool as.
The conversion you're doing is done regularly here in Australia.
In fact my '67 Panel in my avatar has this setup, although there are adjusters in the front beam and the back is down a spline to drop it about 2.5" all round.
Alot of guys choose to go the whole hog (as have I) and use later bay 5x112mm discs, drums and brake boosters.
There are plenty of vintage style VW alloys in 5x112mm and many of the modern Merc and Audi rims are this stud pattern too so it makes sense to go this way, especially when the parts are cheaper and more easily obtainable than the aftermarket kits.
My only regret is that I cant run the standard rims & caps without adapters.
I gather you're using a Type 1 IRS box.
Will you use a single side plate with the 3.88:1 final drive?
That's what my Panel runs.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I saw the Ozzy Kruizinwagon IRS kit online as well as the ones Creative Engineering, and Bus Boys make. They all look nice but none of them are cheap and you still have to come up with a bunch of parts. With the Creative Engineering kit you have to hack off the frame horns and weld theirs in place which we were opposed to doing.

I've done a couple of the Bus Boys type 1 IRS kits in the past and was always happy with how they turned out. They make a nice kit but it was easier and cheaper for us to just buy a parts bus and modify/make the parts as needed. I was actually surprised how difficult early bay parts are becoming to find especially brake drums. Joe wanted the use stock wheels and hubcaps so we didn't change the bolt pattern. I would have been just as happy going low and changing everything over to 5x130. Using the Porsche wheel pattern gives you a ton of brake options. I'll post pictures soon of the tire and wheel combo its gonna look rad!!!

Not sure about gearing just yet. I have to do some math and see what makes the most sense. The tires are kind of tall so I don't want it to be over geared.
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruizinwagon makes a decent bolt-on kit but it's best welded on despite the fact some people reckon it's ok just bolted on.
My IRS was actually done by Volksmuller and like you, they cut stuff out of parts buses.
Like you they've also had issues with early Bay parts.
The dumb thing, of course, is that early Bays are more desireable than late Bays because the bumpers and tail lights are virtually identical to Split items.
A lot of guys are going for disc conversions.
A local firm called Shermans do a wide-5 bus conversion as, of course, do a number of US firms.
The reason we don't use much Porsche stuff is because Porsche gear in Oz is really pricey and even Porsche parts at auto wreckers are exy.
With a 1956cc stroker I can't think of any box that'll be inappropriate.
I'm running a 1776cc and it does ok.
With something that's virtually 2.0 litres and revs harder the 3.88 ring and pinion should fine.
If I had the $$$ mine would be running a 2058cc or 2110cc.
Unless your brother wants to take it seriously off road I think the single side plate would be ideal.
I look forward to more pics! Cool

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:
........Joe wanted the use stock wheels and hubcaps so we didn't change the bolt pattern.....

(I abbreviated the quote)

how about these wheels? http://www.alloyreplicas.com/model-a/

they come in 16 inch, and in several configurations and finishes.

certainly not cheap but i personally like the look of them and that DD panel should look awesome and kinda stock with them on Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when that came up for sale. Super cool panel.

ccb_dan wrote:
There are only a few splits in all of Brevard county that I am aware of.

In the mid 90s when I lived in Satellite Beach, it wasn't uncommon for there to be 4 or 5 split buses at a friend's house just hanging. You could usually find one of us or one of our buses at Mark's Werkshop on Francis St.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny I was by Mark's here a few weeks ago. He's a cool guy. As far as I have seen around the area there maybe 3 or 4 split buses. I know of 2 others in Cocoa Beach besides mine and I know of 2 others I have seen around.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Low Bräu wrote:
........Joe wanted the use stock wheels and hubcaps so we didn't change the bolt pattern.....

(I abbreviated the quote)

how about these wheels? http://www.alloyreplicas.com/model-a/

they come in 16 inch, and in several configurations and finishes.

certainly not cheap but i personally like the look of them and that DD panel should look awesome and kinda stock with them on Smile

Those are nice wheels. Kind of like the Technomagnesio wheels only aluminium

I put stock steel painted Porsche 912 4.5x15 wheels on his last bus. It was an O.G. paint dove blue 65 conversion camper lowered of course. That thing drove awesome. Not too low just right. Stopped on a dime.
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:

Those are nice wheels. Kind of like the Technomagnesio wheels only aluminium

I put stock steel painted Porsche 912 4.5x15 wheels on his last bus. It was an O.G. paint dove blue 65 conversion camper lowered of course. That thing drove awesome. Not too low just right. Stopped on a dime.

exactly what i was thinking Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting on parts for a customer's car so I thought I'd post some more updates on the bus. Good news, the mystery motor that came with the 68 Westy started right up and idles smooth after I adjusted the valves and cleaned out the carburetors. End play is minimal. We'll probably run this engine for a short time while I build the new engine. It appears to be a 1600, with a 38amp bus generator, dual Kads, and dog house cooler. It's based on an AE case, a little ratty looking but not bad. I'll likely do a leak down on it if we decide to run it.

So at this point all the rear brakes are together but the parking brake cables are about 75mm too short. Luckily I saved the compression springs from the Westy's brake cables. So I plan on making a cable extension and swapping the split's compression springs with the bay springs after I remove about an inch or so. Unfortunately, I didn't take many pics.

The first step is to make the cable longer. I used a short section of 8mm round stock drilled and tapped to 6x1.0 so the end of the old cable will thread into it and tighten up with a jam nut. The small piece of round stock is welded to a 60mmx6mm bolt with the head turned down.

Thread the extension to the beginning of the cable under the brake lever and tighten it up with a jam nut. Now the cables are the correct length and it didn't cost anything. The longer compression spring is inside the rear drum. Just spread the last coil of the spring open and twist it over the cable. After the old spring is removed first, of course. Here's what it looks like installed under the front floor.

(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
KombiMarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Marc
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe ordered tires from Specialty Tires of America. They are Super Traxion 205/75/15. They also make a 215/75/15 in the same tread but those were currently unavailable and they told Joe that they weren't planning on making more anytime soon. Coker Tire had 3 in stock and that was it. The next size down was the 205/75/15 which is still over 27" in diameter.

So far so good they fit with plenty of room both front and back. You don't have to deflate the rears to get them under the rear fender lip either which is a big plus. Even heavily loaded there shouldn't be any issues with rubbing. The one thing I like best is that the sidewall has a vintage look and isn't all jumbled up with print like most modern tires. They look right at home on an old bus. Stay tuned much more to come.

(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: