Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hatch storage
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Rear hatch storage Reply with quote

In my quest to find every last piece of storage space in my Westy I am looking at modifing the rear hatch making some kind of storage compartments.

I have done a search here and found that people have done this but as yet know photos. Anyone have any?

So far i have opened up lots of little used areas and they have been great to stuff bits and bobs, especially with 2 kids and a dog, every little space helps!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric has some pics of his rear hatch storage mod, there is a thread somewhere showing his pics

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Joe75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Alaric has some pics of his rear hatch storage mod, there is a thread somewhere showing his pics

Cheers

I am sure I am the worst at using the search thing as I can never seem to find what I am looking for. I find loads of other great stuff but never the post I want!

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks Very Happy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe75 wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370855

You can also modify the panel to have pockets like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...or access doors, or something similar.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having small pocket in the slider as well just not sure how to go about it without coach trimming skills?

I have the Westy wood panel and don,t want to make a mess of it.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slider pockets

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/slidingdoorpockets.htm

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Joe75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Slider pockets

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/slidingdoorpockets.htm

Seen these but as I live in New Zealand the cost of post for parts can be very expensive so its more what I can make.
Vanagon parts here are hard to find as VW never officially imported Vanagons to NZ so there is only a handful of private imports.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving those slider pockets
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of issues:

things in slider pockets will get rained on when door is open

things in hatch will make it heavier so you may need stronger shocks on it

if you are a person who wants to max. out the insulation in the van, both storage areas will reduce insulation
Joe75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
couple of issues:

things in slider pockets will get rained on when door is open

things in hatch will make it heavier so you may need stronger shocks on it

if you are a person who wants to max. out the insulation in the van, both storage areas will reduce insulation

I see your thinking but I don't tend to leave the slider open for long when it is raining! My rear hatch has stronger struts for a bike with is is now long gone so a little extra weight should be ok.

Keep the ideas coming Very Happy
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of doing this right now

I had the rear card off to repaint a mismatched hatch and noticed how much crap the kids put in there while camping. I also liked how well the hatch speakers worked on my bay so I thought I'd kill a couple birds with one stone here.

The pockets are asymetrical because there's a wiper motor and lock motor back there that get in the way. The sides could hold more crap but I boxed them in to hold som 6x9 speakers. This is the best location in a van/bus to add sound. Speakers aimed forward so everyone can hear them in the van and when parked aimed down so as not to piss off neighboring campers but provide great "outside the van tunes".

I'll be upholstering this soon and scouring the junk yards for some bungee netting (like used in suv's cargo areas) To cover the storage bins.

I'm looking into adding some sort of hatch latch pull so you can pop the door from the inside. Eventually I think this will be the ideal mod that most vanagon folks will aim to duplicate. The materials have been low @50.00 but time has been 3 hours.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Joe75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I'm in the middle of doing this right now

I had the rear card off to repaint a mismatched hatch and noticed how much crap the kids put in there while camping. I also liked how well the hatch speakers worked on my bay so I thought I'd kill a couple birds with one stone here.

The pockets are asymetrical because there's a wiper motor and lock motor back there that get in the way. The sides could hold more crap but I boxed them in to hold som 6x9 speakers. This is the best location in a van/bus to add sound. Speakers aimed forward so everyone can hear them in the van and when parked aimed down so as not to piss off neighboring campers but provide great "outside the van tunes".

I'll be upholstering this soon and scouring the junk yards for some bungee netting (like used in suv's cargo areas) To cover the storage bins.

I'm looking into adding some sort of hatch latch pull so you can pop the door from the inside. Eventually I think this will be the ideal mod that most vanagon folks will aim to duplicate. The materials have been low @50.00 but time has been 3 hours.

Thanks for the photo.

For us speakers here would be a pain as the rear hatch is normally buried in 2 feet of duvets and pillows etc, plus when we sleep we have our heads at that end and sleeping against the speakers might give us a headache!

I just need some more storage.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to make the raer hatch have 2 velor lined depressions to hold our pillows while we travel
a small bungee across the depressions and they'll stay there when we open the hatch, keeping them from fallingout and into a puddle or such..

that plus a few inches more for my head/arms while sleeping would be welcomed. I plan to use the aluminized bubble wrap and a layer of cardboard backer then covered with that velour headliner material at the fabric stores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: rear hatch Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Brad re-did his interior and the rear hatch for his around the world trip. There in Peru now. They have a blog and did the interior on Samba--- Drive Nacho Drive --- he has lot's of ideas! Very Happy http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/installing-custom-cabinets-in-nacho-vanagon/
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to used this area for storage. Of my feet! I'm just a tiny bit too long for the bed, and the extra few inches provided by having the hatch panel off makes the world of difference for sleeping comfort...
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazz79 (or anyone else)-
Would love to see pics of your finished hatch panels with storage space. I'm redoing all panels now and I like the idea of a spot for books/watch/headlamp etc. I think the shock-cord net is the way to go (for visibility) but curious to see what people have done.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of vacant space in the side panel above the RR wheel. I'll be doing this sooner rather than later. Good for those little items while traveling or night time storage of glasses, wallets, phones, etc.
Side storage possibilities........

I like the idea of pillow storage with bungees in the rear hatch....... Light, dry, ....... Smile
Rear lid storage possibilities......

I'm torn on sliding door pockets, too vulnerable to weather and loss while getting in and out.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I'm torn on sliding door pockets, too vulnerable to weather and loss while getting in and out. Dave

Yeah, for now I'm opting not to add pockets on the slider for a couple reasons. Without creating an insulated interior box I think it may "port" the sound of the closing door a bit. I'm also concerned about losing kid stuff out of and having it get caught/jammed when opening (if items are not fully inside the door). Knowing my daughters, I'll end up decapitating a bunch of dolls and stuffed animals.

I don't open the rear hatch too much, so I think easy-access storage would be useful here. The pillow holding alcove is a nice idea. Those of us with central locking and rear wiper have a little less space to work with.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long thought about installing one or two MB 123 first aid kit boxes in the rear hatch. If you cut the hole just right, they should pop right in for a perfect depth storage bin.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos were not of my Van but of unplanned barbeque.

Here us my hatch. Factory fiberglass insulation.........

This is the space I have available, I do have the rear wiper but no power locks........ It's getting dark! Only 4:30! Rolling Eyes ........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: