Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I agree. I only buy ethanol free gas for anything I operate from a can (mower, trimmer, ATV, etc.). Ethanol-laden fuel lasts about 3 months max around my barn. I'd hate to try and store it in a car. I keep a 2.5 gallon can under the rear seat of my Thing- and just ran out to the garage to see if this will fit in the bus. It's a little big for the tray- but blocked up and strapped down- should do pretty well for road trips. It's a Blitz- brand- circa 1985

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Fix the reserve tap and leave the gas can at home.
best option

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
roamer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
campingbox wrote:
Fix the reserve tap and leave the gas can at home.
best option

Maybe so but with only 10 gallons in a standard tank and long distances between gas stations out in the wild west, some spare fuel can be a good idea. You shouldn't need it all the time, though.
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rocking the bay tank in the bus, and two 20L Nato cans if I'm going off the beaten path. The tanks will lay flat on the rack without leaking, but I usually strap them together and lash them to the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54taterbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
obus wrote:
i ran out of gas on the way to Flanders All Air Cooled Gathering with no gas gauge! Embarassed

Reserve was not hooked up. No gas can and the 2 gas stations nearest to where i broke down had no cans either. Had to call the Missus to bring my gas can from home 40 minutes away.

lesson learned...

How funny I ran out of gas on the way home from Flanders Gathering! My reserve works well but I just didn't hit the trigger quick enough, and when I went to start the car I flooded it. Awesome, stuck at a light for 20min in the dark in DE. I carry an empty metal gas can in the trunk, but its a Beetle so I'm really off topic here. Laughing
Laughing I ran out on my way home from flanders also . I was 20 miles from home without a can and 2 miles to a gas station. I blamed it on the wierdo N.J.gas pump flexo thing-a-ma-jig they have.Didnt get as much gas as good ole PA pump. At least carry an empty can i dont like the idea of a full one it could be disastrous.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i don't feel so bad! Wink
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can? Reply with quote

Old thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

Our Big Bend Bus Bash group had some Rotopax gas cans supplied to us on our trip last month.
They were mounted at different locations on the buses. I bolted mine to the wood on the rack. No leaks and very secure.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can? Reply with quote

^^ that gas can looks bombproof but not sure i could justify shelling out that much $$ for one. Amazon has them for a Benjamin once add in the hold down hardware?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can? Reply with quote

I have one of these 2 1/2gal. cans. They are great, sealed very well and fill w/o spilling. I have a fire-ball & Blazecut, and new style gas lines. I also use Marine Sta-Bil in my gas and the can to help protect from ethanol keeping the can gas fresh. An empty can is dangerous-always keep it full.
I store it (walk through) next to the spare tire with a matching green vinyl cover.
I never smell gas w this can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: