Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can? Reply with quote

Hopefully this isn't too dumb a question, but I've always had a gas gauge! For those that keep a gas can with spare gas in their Bus, where do you keep it, and how do you deal with built up pressure from the heat? It hasn't been too hot recently but still notice the pressure build up if the vent is closed.

For now, I've had it on the cargo floor (~85-90% full and held in place by my tool bag), and leave the vent open while parked to avoid the pressure build up (came out to the gas can bulged once before doing that Shocked And my windows are pretty much always open for now and smell no fumes). Before I drive I close the vent. There has got to be a safer and more convenient way to do this, or should I just forget the gas can and get a fuel gauge asap? (I have a bay tank with sender, and plan on putting a fuel gauge in a custom pod in the parcel shelf.) Also want to try and rebuild my old fuel tap for this reason, but it's pretty nasty, so we'll see how that turns out.
Beladona_13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly our bus is a '88, so it has a working fuel gauge. But I do keep an EMPTY gas can inside the engine compartment on the drivers side between the tail lamp and the fender well. I've never used it, it's more of an insurance policy.

*edit - '66 bus, and the can is EMPTY... no hot dogs please.

'66 Riviera Camper Bus
'41 Chevrolet COE 4x4

Last edited by Beladona_13 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sooooo hope the 88 bus doesnt EVER have a fire. If it does, you will never be able to put it out if it really gets going. Once the plastic gas can melts, break out the hot dogs and marshmeltlows.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can? Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
Hopefully this isn't too dumb a question, but I've always had a gas gauge! For those that keep a gas can with spare gas in their Bus, where do you keep it, and how do you deal with built up pressure from the heat? It hasn't been too hot recently but still notice the pressure build up if the vent is closed.

For now, I've had it on the cargo floor (~85-90% full and held in place by my tool bag), and leave the vent open while parked to avoid the pressure build up (came out to the gas can bulged once before doing that Shocked And my windows are pretty much always open for now and smell no fumes). Before I drive I close the vent. There has got to be a safer and more convenient way to do this, or should I just forget the gas can and get a fuel gauge asap? (I have a bay tank with sender, and plan on putting a fuel gauge in a custom pod in the parcel shelf.) Also want to try and rebuild my old fuel tap for this reason, but it's pretty nasty, so we'll see how that turns out.

On the roof rack. Splittie, Bay or Vanagon, though they are metal Gerry cans. Plastic ones will work up there, and just leave the vent open when parked.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where in your Bus do you keep your gas can? Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
Hopefully this isn't too dumb a question, but I've always had a gas gauge! For those that keep a gas can with spare gas in their Bus, where do you keep it, and how do you deal with built up pressure from the heat? ...

In Germany pretty much everybody carries a full 5 liter gas can. Enough to get you to the next gas station. In a regular car you would keep that in the trunk, in the beetle and in the bus i always kept it in the spare tire.

Sure, they grow when it gets hot, but then you just open the cap, squeeze the can a little, put the cap back on, Voila!

has worked for decades...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the reserve tap and leave the gas can at home.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

aah, thanks for the reminder, in the camper (so44)it was under the short bench.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
RidinRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree fix the tap and you will never need a can, just pull the reserve.
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: gas can Reply with quote

In my SO-42 walk-through I carry a 14" VW spare tire can in the spare tire. Works great and fits great. In my 60 panel I have a working reserve tap and do not carry a can.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran out of gas on the way to Flanders All Air Cooled Gathering with no gas gauge! Embarassed

Reserve was not hooked up. No gas can and the 2 gas stations nearest to where i broke down had no cans either. Had to call the Missus to bring my gas can from home 40 minutes away.

lesson learned...
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
i ran out of gas on the way to Flanders All Air Cooled Gathering with no gas gauge! Embarassed

Reserve was not hooked up. No gas can and the 2 gas stations nearest to where i broke down had no cans either. Had to call the Missus to bring my gas can from home 40 minutes away.

lesson learned...

How funny I ran out of gas on the way home from Flanders Gathering! My reserve works well but I just didn't hit the trigger quick enough, and when I went to start the car I flooded it. Awesome, stuck at a light for 20min in the dark in DE. I carry an empty metal gas can in the trunk, but its a Beetle so I'm really off topic here. Laughing

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PopsBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allways jot down the mileage when I fill up even though my guage works...kinda. I look for somewhere to fuel before I hit 200 miles. I carry a German style jerry can on my roof rack, but when it's fueled it goes inside. They don't leak fumes at all.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing the point is the same! Wink

PopsBus i always jot down miles and gallons and cost even in my daily driver appliance also. Just plain dumb on my part to think i could get to the show and fuel up at the Sunoco on the way out!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

Best advise here yet!

mandraks wrote:
In Germany pretty much everybody carries a full 5 liter gas can. Enough to get you to the next gas station. In a regular car you would keep that in the trunk, in the beetle and in the bus i always kept it in the spare tire.

Sure, they grow when it gets hot, but then you just open the cap, squeeze the can a little, put the cap back on, Voila!

has worked for decades...

Perhaps that is why the LH battery tray has the round depression?, don't forget that when buses were new there was no such thing as a plastic gas can.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've carried a metal gerry can inside the camper for years. Never smelled it. The SC has a spare tire can. Never smelled it.
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question....How long can you keep gas stored before it's no good. I asked a mechanic how I could dispose of old gas. He looked at the SC and said "Use it in that. It 'll burn kerosene"
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a metal can filled to one inch from the top and kept in your nice cool basement, one to five years. In a plastic gas can in the sun on your carport, six months to a year. Look at it. Does the surface have stuff or oil floating on it or is it uniformly clear? Bad gas usually looks dirty or oily.

If it's clean but lost some power due to fumes venting, it can be mixed with high octane and burned in a car that doesn't need premium. If it looks like it needs to be filtered, use it to start a bonfire at the beach. Not in your motor.

Gasoline has been distilled, it's a very clean looking fluid until it's contaminated. Weeks elapsed don't determine suitability for use, storage conditions do.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1.5 gallon plastic jug I keep behind the split bench seat in the center of the spare wheel.

I keep it empty.

If I run out of gas, I just have to walk to get gas...

Maybe I will find a way to secure it in the engine bay....
Or install a reserve tap. Shocked

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to dis-agree you you on this one Harelyelf. I was told that the additives that are added at the refinery start to break down very quickly. Iam not saying that it wont run in a car after setting for a few months but its octane rating has dropped and the other things added start to break down. The gas I store for my riding mower starts to smell funky after just a month or so, but you are right it is good for starting a bon fire. Very Happy
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep an empty single gallon can under the back bench/bed. I do have a 5gal jerry can coming that I'll probably only keep up on the roof rack on big trips.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: