Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overhaulin, Chip Foose, 1965 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Bill wrote:
That's the first time I have seen one of the TV shows actually give up on the original car and get a replacement.....Unfortunately I was occupied when they made the decision to get a new "donor car" and missed just what was wrong with the original Beetle. Was it typical floor pan and heater channel rot or worse??

Awesome looking paint, on TV... Rest of the car wasn't my style but Chip doesn't do stock builds anyway. I think the guys parents were a little taken aback by the large engine... but all in all it seemed like a decent job for a deserving guy.

Foose destroyed a 65 Impala, a 64-65 Buick Skylark, a Pontiac GTO and this bug. Don't they know drip rails have a purpose??
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Foose should do design contract work for the auto industry, or work for a manufacturer's design studio instead of trying to recreate something over someone else's work. If he's so good he ought to create his own stuff from scratch.
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Don't they know drip rails have a purpose??

I've seen them shaved on some high dollar early 911'a as well. I don't think they're meant to be ran in the rain with the windows down... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Foose Reply with quote

Agreed!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre@KGPR/Airhead wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Don't they know drip rails have a purpose??

I've seen them shaved on some high dollar early 911'a as well. I don't think they're meant to be ran in the rain with the windows down... Very Happy

They are mainly there so you don't get a water dumped on your head when it's been raining and you open the door.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1987/88, Porsche built the 959 without drip rails Very Happy
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:

in 2012 Chip Foose recreated that in a 67 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mannys66 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

Imagine that. Shocked
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
mannys66 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

Imagine that. Shocked

Almost all new cars and trucks do not have drip rails, but the way the new doors are designed where the door itself curves into the roof with a drip channel and rubber frame molding that is hidden you don't need a outside drip rail. Taking the drip rail away from a car that has a conventional door frame is foolish.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Jacks wrote:
mannys66 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

Imagine that. Shocked

Almost all new cars and trucks do not have drip rails, but the way the new doors are designed where the door itself curves into the roof with a drip channel and rubber frame molding that is hidden you don't need a outside drip rail. Taking the drip rail away from a car that has a conventional door frame is foosish.

Fixed it for ya.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another overhaulin last night. A 1972 Olds Cutlass. The guys wife says to Foose she wants a solid color...he two tones it anyway. Now remember this is a California car. Foose removes the Olds engine and installs a crate small block Chevy! First, what is the main difference between any GM "A" body?? the Engine! So what Foose has done is make a Chevelle out of a Cutlass. 99% of Olds fans bought Oldsmobiles because they have Olds engines! If you don't believe me check the number of law suits brought against GM when GM started doing this very same thing in the mid-late 70's. Second the crate engine was absent of the emission controls that are still mandatory for this vehicle to have on and working and the smog laws on the books say so and those cars can be made to come into Smog Check program anytime!
The last thing Foose does is install huge wheels that were NEVER designed to fit that body. The car looked like it was on steroids with those wheels.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting really tired of this Chip Foose guy, when is he gonna show his face around here and defend his actions?

Last edited by BlastMasterMannyFresh on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jakebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Another overhaulin last night. A 1972 Olds Cutlass. The guys wife says to Foose she wants a solid color...he two tones it anyway. Now remember this is a California car. Foose removes the Olds engine and installs a crate small block Chevy! .

He did the same thing with that old Chevy pickup. The guy had a 500 Caddy in it. When they opened the hood, you could see he was disappointed that his truck was now SBC powered. Just like every other one you see.
ovalshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Foose Reply with quote

Well as much as some hate, I know of a certain 55 Bel Air post, he can jack at any time. He can also put a small block chevy in it (please) rather than a BB caddy boat anchor, I won't be mad.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Foose Reply with quote

ovalshark wrote:
Well as much as some hate, I know of a certain 55 Bel Air post, he can jack at any time. He can also put a small block chevy in it (please) rather than a BB caddy boat anchor, I won't be mad.

Please don't say to a Pontiac, Olds, or Buick fan when they find a SBC installed that they are haters. Brand loyalty is a big thing in those camps. I know I'm in two of the three. At GM the only large ticket items like engine and sometimes transmissions are the main difference between besides some sheet metal that make each make separate from each other. To many the engine is the heart and soul of their brand. So when this is done it is considered by enthusiast of those particular brands that the person doing it IS the real hater.
You want to see someone really get mad when their brand is violated? or should I say hated.....remember now these people feel violated because their brand was violated. Just go to a Porsche 356 car show with a VW engine in one of them.
It's just human nature.
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that and the split
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, I can take some of his ideas/projects and leave others. Overall though, I think he's great at what he does. I still haven't gotten around to watching the latest VW ep... lol.

Helfen wrote:
I think Foose should do design contract work for the auto industry, or work for a manufacturer's design studio instead of trying to recreate something over someone else's work. If he's so good he ought to create his own stuff from scratch.

He took your advice decades ago. This is just one of his ideas.

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Hemisfear

chipfoose.com wrote:
Hemisfear is the culmination of a 16 year personal dream for Chip. In 1990, during his senior year at the prestigious Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, Chip and his classmates were presented with a Chrysler-sponsored graduation project. They were to design a vehicle for a niche market. Chip took a bit of a spin on the concept, he didn't want to design for an existing market, he wanted to create a new one.

With its unique flair, Chip's 1:5 scale model of the Hemisfear gained significant recognition and was even featured in an issue of HOT ROD magazine. It also became the inspiration for the Plymouth Prowler, as careful study of the two will show many design similarities. OEM's had now recognized the need to fulfill this "hot-rod" niche market as vehicles like the PT Cruiser, Chevrolet SSR and Chevrolet HHR were made available to consumers.

Chip actually began building a chassis for a real version of the Hemisfear while working for Boyd Coddington, but there was never enough time to complete the project. That all changed in 2005, when Chip signed a die-cast toy deal with RC2 Corp that also included seed money to complete the Hemisfear build. The entire car was first designed on the computer with CAD drawings. The original scale model was digitized and a fullsize version was computer-milled out of foam. The foam was then used as the buck to form the carbon-fiber body.

A limited edition vehicle program was also introduced and at SEMA 2006 two Hemisfears were unveiled, the preproduction unit in Hemisfear lime green and the first production model in black. It was a full 16 years for this vehicle to make it from original concept to working vehicle. In total, 5 Hemisfears were built and produced.

Part supercar, part custom and part hot rod, Hemisfear is perhaps the most renowned Foose vehicle.

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
ya know, I can take some of his ideas/projects and leave others. Overall though, I think he's great at what he does. I still haven't gotten around to watching the latest VW ep... lol.

Helfen wrote:

He took your advice decades ago. This is just one of his ideas.

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Hemisfear

chipfoose.com wrote:
Hemisfear is the culmination of a 16 year personal dream for Chip. In 1990, during his senior year at the prestigious Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, Chip and his classmates were presented with a Chrysler-sponsored graduation project. They were to design a vehicle for a niche market. Chip took a bit of a spin on the concept, he didn't want to design for an existing market, he wanted to create a new one.

With its unique flair, Chip's 1:5 scale model of the Hemisfear gained significant recognition and was even featured in an issue of HOT ROD magazine. It also became the inspiration for the Plymouth Prowler, as careful study of the two will show many design similarities. OEM's had now recognized the need to fulfill this "hot-rod" niche market as vehicles like the PT Cruiser, Chevrolet SSR and Chevrolet HHR were made available to consumers.

Chip actually began building a chassis for a real version of the Hemisfear while working for Boyd Coddington, but there was never enough time to complete the project. That all changed in 2005, when Chip signed a die-cast toy deal with RC2 Corp that also included seed money to complete the Hemisfear build. The entire car was first designed on the computer with CAD drawings. The original scale model was digitized and a fullsize version was computer-milled out of foam. The foam was then used as the buck to form the carbon-fiber body.

A limited edition vehicle program was also introduced and at SEMA 2006 two Hemisfears were unveiled, the preproduction unit in Hemisfear lime green and the first production model in black. It was a full 16 years for this vehicle to make it from original concept to working vehicle. In total, 5 Hemisfears were built and produced.

Part supercar, part custom and part hot rod, Hemisfear is perhaps the most renowned Foose vehicle.

So why is he still customizing over other designers work? What you show is one car, and how many thousands of that car did he manage to sell? A good designer produces hundreds, if not thousands of fresh ideas from scratch in a lifetime. Look up some of the greatest body designers in the automotive world, past and present..see their life's work and compare. If you've really studied the subject you would see what I'm talking about.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Helfen will post a few pictures of his cars to show Foose how it should be done?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Maybe Helfen will post a few pictures of his cars to show Foose how it should be done?

It make no difference what my five cars that I collect look like because they are absolutely all stock bodied and paint colors. We are talking about redoing someone else's work here. The original body designers of my or anyone else's cars needs to be respected and that is the issue here. It also doesn't matter if you don't like a particular car model, just buy something else instead of changing the original artist own vision. You wouldn't buy a picture of the Mona Lisa and then say "well I'll paint over that and put her in a bikini"

Ich weiß nicht, wie ich es noch klarer!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: