Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overhaulin, Chip Foose, 1965 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind if they are "absolutely all stock bodied and paint colors" as Foose & I build hot rods! Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakebob wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Another overhaulin last night. A 1972 Olds Cutlass. The guys wife says to Foose she wants a solid color...he two tones it anyway. Now remember this is a California car. Foose removes the Olds engine and installs a crate small block Chevy! .

He did the same thing with that old Chevy pickup. The guy had a 500 Caddy in it. When they opened the hood, you could see he was disappointed that his truck was now SBC powered. Just like every other one you see.

The removal of the Cadillac engine in that truck removed the history that truck had in that family.
If it had been mine I would have asked that the Cadillac engine be rebuilt & replaced back in the truck.
Family members are involved in these builds, and should have been clear with Chip.
The "Winner" you remember has to pay taxes for value of the restoration, so even though your paying let's guess 28%,
of the value of the restoration for your vehicle, it's still with-in your right to get what you want.
It's funny watching some of these shows,
as an example Billy Joel knew exactly what kind of Chopper he wanted built at Orange County Choppers,
and he wasn't having it built Junior or Senior's way.
There was a "House Restoration" show where the Owner/"winner" locked out the "Improvement Crew"
until he had control and approval rights for all the work that was to be done.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right Rudolph who customized the chimney??

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/AlexBannykh/Alex...y-pipe.jpg
ovalshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Foose Reply with quote

Now that I know that Helfin does not care for mods to classic cars, I understand where he stands. I get that.
I love hot rods !! So like Mr. Fisher, I love Foose's body mods and 2 tone paints, etc.

Just to keep myself in a little hot water, I still think the caddy motor in the old chevy is a underpowered boat anchor. Wink
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Foose Reply with quote

ovalshark wrote:
Now that I know that Helfin does not care for mods to classic cars, I understand where he stands. I get that.
I love hot rods !! So like Mr. Fisher, I love Foose's body mods and 2 tone paints, etc.

Just to keep myself in a little hot water, I still think the caddy motor in the old chevy is a underpowered boat anchor. Wink

Let me help you with Classic cars;

About Classics: Why We Define Classic as We Do

Usually the cars recognized as "CCCA Classics" were built in limited production numbers and were quite expensive when new. As a group, they represent the pinnacle of engineering, styling and design for their era. therefore very few cars are considered "Classic Cars"

What are Antique cars?
Any make or model car that is Unmodified over twenty five years old. When you buy Antique auto insurance which is super reasonable compared to normal auto insurance the first question they ask is, if the car is modified.

In the United States, an antique car is generally defined as a car over 45 years of age, this being the definition used by the Antique Automobile Club of America. This has been been changed from time to time to mean anything over 25 years of age. All unmodified VW's that go over the age limit are Antique vehicles.
I would venture to say that at most local cars shows the percentage of cars that would show that were full classic's is less than one % over a year unless you go to the proper venue for these cars like Pebble Beach. The cars that truly show up at a local show that are Antiques are about 25% or less, unless you go to a AACA show which doesn't allow modified cars or a mark specific show like VVWCA or PCA.
Unless your buying regular auto insurance there is auto insurance for hot rods and most cars today that I see at local shows fit this category.

Ovalshark, I think you understand where I stand on some issues, but I too have modified cars. One that was finished in 1992 and the other is still under construction. Both cars are Grand Touring cars that can be driven on the street on occasion.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the car or hate the car, Chip Foose is capable of anything. He is one of a handful of truly great car builders that are still doing it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally seen this episode with the VW and will admit that it may not be exactly what I'd want, but owner of the bug sure seemed to like it. The car also seemed to haul a$$, that is never a bad thing. Thumbs up to the build !
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car is awesome... Not something I would build--but still awesome..
Only curiosity--what is used for 'welting" between the body and fender??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklock wrote:
Finally seen this episode with the VW and will admit that it may not be exactly what I'd want, but owner of the bug sure seemed to like it. The car also seemed to haul a$$, that is never a bad thing. Thumbs up to the build !

maybe he did, maybe he didn't. but if you got stuck in this kind of production would you admit you don't like what you were getting ?
oh man Chip, I always wanted a Snorkelstang !! I LOVE YOU MAN !!

can you even imagine a reveal at then end of the show where a guy/gal broke down and cried ?
WTF !! you f'd my shit into a hands off trailer queen ! YOU BASTARD !!! =fists fly=

I have mixed feelings about what he puts out. some of them look very cool, but nearly all of the cars he builds get useless trunks filled with MDF sub woofer housings and are so over the top blinged out they loose their practical daily driver status...at least when the projects start out as drivers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterscorch !! Better late than never. Razz
Fusillade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campmobile Chris74 wrote:
Butterscorch !! Better late than never. Razz

LOL. I just finally saw it this weekend.
Hefner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how Blake is going with his Cystic Fibrosis?

I had a good mate with CF and he was the first in the world to have a triple Transplant. It's a hell of a thing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks great. Only thing I would change is the one piece windows .. on an unchopped bug the one piece window makes the opening look enormous. I would have either left the vents in and blacked them out, or given it a mild tapered chop and one pieced it. Otherwise great car.
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:

I think the car looks fine....and regardless of how Foose did it I think we should all be freakin glad it didnt end up in the hands of those Pimp my Ride crazies...It might have ended up with desk chair seats, a toilet seat for a steering wheel and TVs in the center caps....At least with Foose you know its going to be a nice car for that dude for life....regardless of whether or not it should have bumpers..haha Wink

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab4Fan wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
vintagevolks wrote:
Someone post pics cuz I didnt watch it. I just hope it looks better than the 21 window they did!

Anybody has pics of the 21 window bus that Chip did?

It had a boody kit with modified bumpers weird belt line at the bottom with wolfsburg crest, out of place nose badge, etc.
It was a real bummer because it was a really solid og daily driver sorta bus.

So.....what's the deal on the fried egg blinkers? did Foose change the location in the process, after the car was already finished? Or is one of the pics photoshopped?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
Fab4Fan wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
vintagevolks wrote:
Someone post pics cuz I didnt watch it. I just hope it looks better than the 21 window they did!

Anybody has pics of the 21 window bus that Chip did?

It had a boody kit with modified bumpers weird belt line at the bottom with wolfsburg crest, out of place nose badge, etc.
It was a real bummer because it was a really solid og daily driver sorta bus.

So.....what's the deal on the fried egg blinkers? did Foose change the location in the process, after the car was already finished? Or is one of the pics photoshopped?

Here's where Foose put 'em .. look at the photo with the lamps up top, the lamp on the driver side has an un-natural cut-n-paste contour to it.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the replacement of the iconic big VW emblem with a simple VOLKSWAGEN nameplate makes the bus look like it is missing something.

But I really like how he shaved the mounting tabs off of the headlamp rings. I think every early Bus and Bug needs to have that done (or at least paint the tabs and screw body color).
Jordan16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody got some pictures of what the latches look like, been trying to find something like this for a while.

Cheers
Sahall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of the final product, Im not a purist but I did cringe a couple of times at some stuff he did to it, I would be extremely happy with that engine setup though Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: