Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overhaulin, Chip Foose, 1965 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly who cares about the deck lid? What people need to realize is that its not their car, and im sure anyone on this site would love to have that bug in there own garage. I thought the bug turned out beautiful paint rims and all. Not every bug owner wants a 100% stock restored, so to the purists get over over the deck lid.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks great thanks Justin!
I always enjoy this show since there isn't a bunch of drama, people fighting bitching etc.

Still though I agree with the last poster I wish they showed more detail on the work they did, kind of like Wheeler Dealers.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justin Jagare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Butter Scorch Pearl...$2000 a gallon...ouch!
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone post pics cuz I didnt watch it. I just hope it looks better than the 21 window they did!
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave-- I think we're gonna stay in Crescent City again this year-- we were just doing some planning this morning...

Dave wrote:
Now that I know that W decklid was a beat up repop, it's all good.

Actually, it was an OG lid that came from our parts yard. We have lots more, and the other yard in town has a stack too if you need one. Wink

Dave wrote:
...ask Scott about the trip through the redwoods down 17 miles of dirt road this year...(I *TOLD* that guy he wanted to close his Safari's....)

He leaves them open the whole 1000 miles-- a little dust wind wasn't gonna change that! I'm still blowing dust out of my camera bag Laughing

See ya around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*off topic*

Here's Dave leading the way...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justin Jagare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagevolks wrote:
Someone post pics cuz I didnt watch it. I just hope it looks better than the 21 window they did!

...last post page 2...
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake & Chip

Blake's new ride

Last edited by Andre@KGPR/Airhead on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last photo posted, did anybody else think that Chip might have taken inspiration from (or was giving a nod to) a deluxe bus - say a circa 1955 chestnut brown over sealing wax red? That thought came to me while watching the show - the last photo makes the bug look like it has deluxe bus belt line trim vibe to it. It just amazes me what lighting does to paint hues - inside shots most definitely ORANGE outside in bright sunshine, almost gold. Say what you want, the bug looks good on the road.
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! 100 percent better than the 21 window they did!
DusknWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if my reply to this thread was one that rustled some jimmies. I think it was great what everyone did for the young man, the look and smile on his face proved that. I also hope and prayed that he will get the transplant he so needs. I know it isn't my car so my opinon doesn't really matter, I was just sharing it like all of you that shared yours. Thought that was how freedom of speech worked? I'll keep mine to myself from now on. Sure didn't mean no disrespect to the young man or the talented crew that built it for him.
Pierside Parts Unlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to answer a few questions and clear up some other issues.
the hood and deck lid have hidden cables to open them,
the deck lid uses a late bug hood receiver and a standard hood pin mounted on the decklid,
during the aired version of the show and original decklid is shown towards the beginning but later you will notice the interior of the decklid has the black "primer paint" of a brazilian reproduction, I do not know when or why the deck lids were changed but the completed car has a reproduction unit.
there is remote control actuated door openers using cables and break line tubing to route the cable, very trick.
the drip rails are shaved and if you've ever attempted this, you know how hard it is to make it work and look good.
Blake is getting his old car back.
Blake wanted no body molding but chip used his artistic freedom to use early model larger polished stainless molding. For the hood strip, 2 hood strips were welded together to make a long enough strip.
the time limitations of the show did not allow all the cool features to be shown. Hopefully, Blake can bring it out to some shows.
See lots of photos on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pierside.parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierside Parts Unlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the rush at like 11pm we realized there wasn't any tach or ??? I was sent to the shop but we didn't have time to get anything installed as Blake was on the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DJ Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last picture looks awesome.. Like I said before, the paint job on the car was reallly nice. and the trick hood trim was a very cool touch. I like the fact that Chip still has his hands on a build, not like the rest of the TV builders...and like everyone else here I woulda loved to see more of the actual work on the car, but I realize not everyone who watches Overhaulin wants to see that.

Personally if it were my car a nice warmed up dual port would have been plenty. That is the only thing I would have wanted different if it had been my bug they took to overhaul.. (hint hint Laughing Laughing )

So what was wrong with Blake's original car? and when is he gonna join the SAMBA?? I am impressed he kept working on his car as sick as he was....I was waiting for someone to come in and tell him he had a set of lungs waiting at the hospital for him and that was why he had to get off the set..

And to be able to work on your own car with the "a Team" on an Overhaulin' build....how cool is that?
spider97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

car is sick! loved the paint and stance chip foose is one of the best.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to my personal taste, but not my car. If Blake's happy, it can't get any better.

Last edited by zozo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they did a great job on the car. Sure it's not EXACTLY what I would want, but it was executed well. I will say that they absolutely NAILED the stance... it looks fast sitting still. I have to add that it was pretty cool seeing Gary Berg on the tube. Cool deal!
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of respect for Chip Foose so I thought I'd post up what he said about the car.
Chip Foose is a 2nd Generation hot rodder, and graduate of Art Center in 1990, where he majored in Automotive Product Design and graduated with honors.
I'm glad the car wasn't another rehash of Cal Look, or German look, and I'm hoping Blake really gets to enjoy the car.
Blake can fit a tach, get some deck lid stand offs (That turbo motor will surely over heat with the deck lid closed).

Chip Foose wrote:

This week's episode of Overhaulin' was a special one not only because we had never customized a VW Beetle before, but mainly because we welcomed, Blake, the VW’s owner to come work with all of us at the shop to transform his ride. He had always dreamed of working with us on his car so, Chris and Jessi surprised him at his home the day they picked up the VW. Blake was an active child who raced dirt bikes, but a debilitating lung disease, cystic fibrosis, has slowed him down at his young age of 25. Blake would work on his VW whenever he had the time, however, lately the transformation had been moving at a slower pace. With Blake’s tenacity to never give up we wanted to help him speed up his build process and construct the custom street racer he had been so diligently working to complete.

This 1965 Volkswagen Beetle had a lot of previous work done on it but when we started desconstruction, the lack of certain structural pieces and the presence of too much rust were major issues. It became apparent that this bug was beyond repair. The A-Team had to search out a replacement beetle. Since more VW beetles have been made than any other car in history, it was easy to locate one with a solid foundation. A 1967 was chosen and was disassembled with Blake’s help. It was in pretty good shape but the front end had some damage so we gave it an Overhaulin’ style nose job. Once the new nose was grafted on, I decided to add some special custom touches. I replaced the handle on the hood with the vintage VW emblem. I dropped the trim over the front of the emblem, cutting molding to make the trim longer to fit the full contour. I also made a big modification in the back by removing the rear apron and replacing it with a ‘57 rear apron with longer swoop, giving the car a lower look. I wanted some part of Blake’s original VW to still live on so I took the original air vents, split them into 2 pieces, then welded, smoothed and finished them into the rear. I really enjoyed working with Blake on his ride but I wanted to maintain some element of surprise for him, so we finished the job without his help.

When I first met with Blake we chose a specific color scheme but I decided to throw a curveball. Since Blake had picked a common design, I wanted to do something different to personalize this car unlike anything else. I really hoped Blake was going to like my decision. Settling on a two-tone paint scheme, we painted the roof, rear deck, interior, door jams and the hood black. Butterscorch pearl was the elected BASF paint color for the lower half of the two-tone paint scheme. We installed a bigger and badder 200+ horsepower turbo charged engine, 4 times as powerful as the stock engine. Being a parent myself, I could understand the concern Blake’s parents had about this hot rod’s speed, so we made sure to install a state of the art brake system so Blake could stop safely. A Gene Berg shifter was installed and Bill Dunn custom designed the tufted diamond patterned upholstery for the interior. The original speedometer was salvaged and used and a brand new sound system was also installed. I decided to pull the ashtray back and put the radio in while adding a final trim to the dash. 17” Foose Monterey wheels were wrapped in Pirelli P zeros. Dennis added a thick orange stripe on the inside of the rim for an extra special touch and a final double pinstripe between the two colors, purple on green.

Once the Bug was complete, I asked Blake to come have one last meeting about the final design at my shop while purposely failing to mention the fact that his vehicle was going to be revealed to him that same night. After giving a tour around our Foose Design headquarters, I lead Blake into the showroom. He immediately became speechless and completely fixated on his new hot rod bug as if no one else was in the room. To top off the special day for Blake, Joe Ferri from Mac Tools gave Blake a second set of keys but these were for a custom tool box equipped with a full set of tools. The A-team and I signed the tool box and hope our notes will remind Blake of the many hours we all worked together to turn his beetle into a screamin’ hot bug. I hope you enjoy your new bug as much as we truly enjoyed working with you and making your dream come true, Blake!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surftrip90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: overhaulin 1967 bug chip foose Reply with quote

Chip Foose is the real deal and has a heart the size of an elephant. I think the VW community should thank him for his talent and dedication given to others. His car builds are on another plane and we could all learn from his vision. He and his crew did an awesome and serious attitude '67 and hope to see it at a future show. Good luck Blake, I hope and pray you get your new lungs! God bless you!
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a few more stills from the epsiode.

65 baja/drag

redone 67

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: