Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nose Cone Seal replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am going to sand the nose cone some more with a 80 grit and than polish it again with the 200. I had a deep gouge and I think alittle more sanding will make up the difference, thanks!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my new steel ball goody and the fit on the end of the hockey stick is really tight. It won't slide on, it will go on with force but is it supposed to be SO tight? I am not sure I can smack it on the hockey stick when reassembling the nose cone, it will be ver hard to remove if I get it on there I'm certain. Is this a concern and is there a different ball size I need?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should just slide on so you may need to do file work look it over you may have a burr or something on the hockey stick.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sanded the hockey stick with wet dry and it made the difference. I have it all back together now with new seals front and rear as well as that bearing retaining plate and the new steel ball. Now I need to fill it with proper lube and that is a concern. GL5 is not available in large bottles here, what oil are you folks using and liking best? Also, what amount should I purchase for a complete fill? Yes I did read the Bently, but I want to hear more.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear oil is a very hot topic amongst VW folks. Some say to only use GL4 rated oil, some say GL5 is fine. I have used GL5 from NAPA for years with no issues. I have also used some from a local supplier that is available at our CO-OP.

I cannot imagine that you can't buy a gallon jug of gear oil in Prescott. Keep looking.

As I recall, the tranny takes 2.5-3 quarts to fill. I like to use one of the pumps that fits onto the gallon jug to fill the trans.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the GL5 at napa here is Sta-Lube and I used to buy it in the big bottle, now all they have is little bottles for over 12 dollars per! I think I need 7 of them lol! GL4 is not available as far a s I know, didn't GL5 encompase that grade like 35 years ago? Laughing Anyways thanks to everyone here, my trans has never looked better. Very Happy
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Well the GL5 at napa here is Sta-Lube and I used to buy it in the big bottle, now all they have is little bottles for over 12 dollars per! I think I need 7 of them lol! GL4 is not available as far a s I know, didn't GL5 encompass that grade like 35 years ago? Laughing Anyways thanks to everyone here, my trans has never looked better. Very Happy

Well, sort of. Here is a link for your reading pleasure. Enter at your own risk.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276529

Look at places other than NAPA. I often get mine at my local CO-OP, and farm supply stores often have it in bulk, too.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep 3 will more then fill it and as for the debate on GL4-GL5 the only place I have been able to find GL4 is a car quest up here in Alaska if you look on the back of the jug most say covers requirements for GL4/GL5 but that isn't good enough for the purist as for me I have ran both with no problems but if I have it at hand I run the GL4.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I am well aware that some transmission oil says that it is good enough for replacing GL5, however ime, that is just not true. The soft metals in transmissions are very sensitive to what oil is used and for certain it matters what you use in these fine machines, I will be very carefull to choose wisely thank you all.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Rippers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question for when I have my nose cone machined for the wear.
Does just the bearing part need to be flattened or the whole of the mating surface of the nose cone need to match.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Yea I am well aware that some transmission oil says that it is good enough for replacing GL5, however ime, that is just not true. The soft metals in transmissions are very sensitive to what oil is used and for certain it matters what you use in these fine machines, I will be very carefull to choose wisely thank you all.

Yes, and the MT-1 rating covers that in GL5.

I don't think any of us wants to turn this into another oil debate, so that is all I will say on the subject.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
to the tranny gurus out there, would the above situation call for one those steel plates that takes the place of the nose cone gasket? I used one on my 70 a couple of years ago, and I have had piles of trouble free miles since then. My nosecone looked similar to the one above, maybe not quite as bad.

Is this the plate that's being mentioned? If so, what's its purpose?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Yes, that is the plate. Its purpose is to keep the main shaft bearing from plowing a groove into the nose cone. There are photos earlier in the thread that illustrate this situation.

thanks for that photo.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ Yes, that is the plate. Its purpose is to keep the main shaft bearing from plowing a groove into the nose cone. There are photos earlier in the thread that illustrate this situation.

thanks for that photo.

Cool. Thanks for the fast reply. It looks like this tranny has had some work done to it in the past. The hockey stick donut looks brand new, too. They didn't bother to resurface the nose cone. The groove was still there. I sanded on it some, but I guess with the plate installed it's not really important to get all the groove sanded out.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

thanks for that photo.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6328066#6328066
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
t I guess with the plate installed it's not really important to get all the groove sanded out.

Rick Long told me to make sure the groove was removed before installing the plate but I cannot tell you why.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
FNGRUVN wrote:
t I guess with the plate installed it's not really important to get all the groove sanded out.

Rick Long told me to make sure the groove was removed before installing the plate but I cannot tell you why.

Well, this Rick only got most of the groove out. Laughing I left a small section of the deepest part. Hopefully that will get me down the road....and back.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why it would be necessary to sand down the surface enough to remove the groove, other than the possibility that it makes room for the plate. As mentioned earlier, it is recommended to remove .045" from the surface to make up for the plate thickness. I did not do that, and mine works fine.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine much happening if you didn't remove the equivalent thickness, it may prevent the selector rod from fully depressing the reverse light switch and it could cause a corroded area on the hockey stick to ride in the seal causing a leak (if the end of the stick was rough). If the coupler is long it could bottom out on the seal in 1st and 3rd but I seem to recall a pretty subtantial gap there already and .045" wouldn't use it all up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:

Can't remember why. But people where Removing the Intermediate lever, Springs and Stop Plate. Maybe someone can chime in.

Thrust plate instructions

Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: