Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vanagon repair
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bekah333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: vanagon repair Reply with quote

I'm (completely) novice when it comes to maintenance/engine repair, and understand that I'll be taking a major risk when I purchase my westy (when I find the right one). I have looked up several other vans but none have the same appeal as the vanagon. In particular, I like the 80's water cooled versions that have the stove/fridge inside. I plan to live in the vehicle with my dog, and travel around America. But I don't want to end up stranded on the side of the road with repairs that will drain my travel budget. However, I am an RN and will be able to find work on the road in three month increments, but I want to have a good year prior to doing so, if possible.

So, my questions are:

How did you all learn to make repairs roadside? (I know about bentley, but will that help someone who is completely novice?) I've never even changed the oil on a car. How can I learn to maintain/repair the westy? I'm interested in learning.

I live in Buffalo, NY, and there are not a large number of westy's available here. Does it make sense to head somewhere west by plane and purchase one there? Is there anyone in my region that I can talk to?

Any advice (on these topics, or others) is very appreciated, or direction to a link on this site that I may have missed.

Thanks!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bekah - Here's a post to read to start you out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531463&highlight=

It talks about how much you should expect to spend to get a descent van. If you can find a well maintained van already, your problems will be minimized.

There is also a good source of info here:
http://www.gowesty.com/library.php

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=881

General fact but not always true (so no need to blast this statement): the more you are willing to spend in the beginning, the less it will cost you in the end.

Welcome aboard!
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
mrlimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several things to look for and ask about in a Vanagon. First and foremost, have the heads been fixed? Vanagon Waterboxer engines are notorious for head gasket failure. Fixing is usually quite costly. To have a garage do it, you would be looking in the neighborhood of 2K. Most of the time the heads need to be replaced because they corrode under the gasket. The engines, otherwise, are just as good as any other engine.

You may want to look for a vanagon that is newer than 86. Because the 86 and newer vans came with the 2.1L engine. 1.9L engines were installed from 83 and half to 85. While they are a fine engine, the 2.1L has a bit more power. From 1980 until 1983 the vans had an air cooled 2.0 engine. They aircooled engine isn't that bad, but don't expect blazing speed.

Next to ask about is the cooling system. No matter which watercooled engine you get, there are a lot of hoses to think about. Plus the fact that the radiator is up front and the engine is in the back means a lot of coolant.
Ask if the radiator has been replaced. If you look at a pre 86, check the condition of the pipes running under the van front to back. They are steel and prone to rust. The 86 and newer are plastic, though they are not impervious to failure either.

Then there is the normal stuff associated with a used car, tires, brakes, shocks, clutch, maintenance...etc.

Check how the transmission shifts. Stiff between third and fourth could mean a problem. Other things like popping out of gear isn't good either. Drive with the window open and listen for noise. If the transmission has been run low on oil, it sometimes makes a whining or buzzing noise. Its not the end of the world if it does make noise, but it can be annoying. It just means that the maintenance wasn't that great. My current 87 makes a small amount of noise and I had an 83 that was louder than the engine. Drove them both for thousands of miles without an issue.

Vanagon's are prone to rust in the body seams where the panels were welded together. On campers there is a seam just below the hookups on the driver side that likes to rust out. Just keep an eye out. Repairing that can be costly.

Other than that, there is no telling what can happen. But like any vehicle, proper maintenance is the key.

BTW, there is a club in Western New York, I can't remember the name Western New York VW club or something and there is the Empire Camping club located near Syracuse. You can also check out my club, LiMBO at the address in my signature.

Any more questions, let me know. I've been driving these beasts for 20 plus years. I've seen just about everything that can go wrong.
'01 Jetta Honey's car
Looking for a Vanagon weekender or Escorial green camper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA Premier and the Vanagon Rescue Squad:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=74

... and The Samba "nauts" will always be here to help you.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any VW shops that work on Vanagons near by? If so, and this might be a long shot but.....

For the cost of some beer, or a greatly reduced shop rate charge, maybe the owner would give you a "tour" of a Vanagons underside and/or maybe even let you watch an oil change. All this could shed some light.

As with other occupations, a good mechanic will make "turning a wrench" look easy. This can be really deceiving. Wink Something to bear in mind. It isn't just about following directions, simply handling a tool properly is a skill in itself.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what you can do depends on your 'travel budget'.... Can you give us an idea of what you can spend to buy and then do initial fixing before you head out? This will help in assessing what you can expect. YMMV.

I'd say if you have an adventurous spirit and are willing to learn, go for it. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it I would fly west for a van. There are a lot more vans on the west coast and a lot less rust!!

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a nice looking full westy closer to home......

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Vanagon/TORONTO/Ontario/19_6106852_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

This is a beautiful looking westy weekender ..... Even closer.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Vanagon/STONEY%20CREEK/Ontario/19_6244250_/

I was thinking about how I learned to keep my Vanagon running and then realized that I have owned one for over twenty years. Made a lot of mistakes fixing it over the years, but I have always enjoyed learning about it and I still find it fun to drive. The database contained here on the samba will get you up to speed in much less time, parts are readily available, just go for it!

I'm just over the border near the two Vans listed above if you'd like someone to give you a second opinion on them, then let me know.

Good Luck.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Pilot wrote:
Here is a nice looking full westy closer to home......

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Vanagon/TORONTO/Ontario/19_6106852_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

That van has rust peaking through on a lot of it seams. If it is showing through the paint at the seams the inside is much worse. I would look to buy a rust free van over most other things. Rust is a very cancerous problem and expensive if you have someone else fix it.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read,read,read. Then check out some vans. When you narrow down your choice,STOP!
Take pictures look closely post the pics here, ask more questions. Have the van checked out at a shop that knows vans...then and only then buy one and then take a month and do some simple stuff in the safety of your home. Change the plugs, oil, air filter. Jack it up take a front wheel off see how things go together, maybe grease the front bearings...take your axles.off andgrease your cv joints...
Tje poimt here is buy a solid van, then slowly heyou hands dirty in a safe.place. Also realize you will break down. Get triple A and relax. I was a.traveling nurse and then van is awsome for that kind of lifestyle. Yoi found the right place.to start your adventure, have fun!
todd.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the spelling...cell phone post.
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon repair Reply with quote

bekah333 wrote:

How did you all learn to make repairs roadside?

Thanks!

Roadside repairs are always thrilling. Foresight is important as a VW never actually breaks down- you generally have some notice and can almost always get to a parking lot or something.

I got my first Bus in 1999 as a "toy" gift for my wife. The clutch cable broke the next weekend. The local eurocar shop laughed at the prospect of repairing it, so i ordered the Idiots Manual and did it myself. It was great. I'd never even changed the oil in a car before. I now do everything.

Ease into stuff, but its easier than you think. It's just a system, and not a very complex one at that.

Learning to work on my our VWs has been a great joy to me. And the source of great frustration and sorrow. As time passed, I gained a greater knowledge of tools. Knowing how to use and what tool to use is important.

Like all pursuits, proper tool use is an acquired art that makes the any job immeasurably easy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon repair Reply with quote

wyomingresident wrote:
Like all pursuits, proper tool use is an acquired art that makes the any job immeasurably easy.

I certainly hope you meant to say "immeasurably easier"... Laughing

Or "slightly less painful", or "more annoying because you know you're using the proper tool in the wrong way"... or... Embarassed
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon repair Reply with quote

I started learning when I built and maintained my 1st bicycle. then mini-bike then alot of painful and $$ trial and error on automobiles.
the best way to learn how to make a road side repair, is unfortunately with years of clinical experiance and then well, practicle application on the side of the road. and not always successful.. but usually/mostly. and always with a price.. either in $$ or blood/sweat/tears

and BTW *Waves from Syracuse, NY

bekah333 wrote:

So, my questions are:

How did you all learn to make repairs roadside? (I know about bentley, but will that help someone who is completely novice?) I've never even changed the oil on a car. How can I learn to maintain/repair the westy? I'm interested in learning.
Thanks!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize you may be in a bit of a hurry to learn but if you check with adult education organizations where you live you may find classes in auto maintenance.

Any expeience with engines & tools (even stripping the head on a small-block Chevy) will teach you the basics you'll need when you have to work on a Vanagon with the Bentley in one hand and a wrench in the other.
mrlimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one mentioned the 'Idiots' book. In case you were wondering, its a book by John Muir Called " How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot"

Its a great book.. especially if you never have worked on a car. It was my first repair book. I gave my copy to my son. Not only does it have great info, it is great to read. Its more than just a repair manual. While the book covers air cooled VW's, it a great start to understanding VW's and car repair in general. For 20 bucks its worth picking one up.
'01 Jetta Honey's car
Looking for a Vanagon weekender or Escorial green camper.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

For the cost of some beer, or a greatly reduced shop rate charge, maybe the owner would give you a "tour" of a Vanagons underside and/or maybe even let you watch an oil change. All this could shed some light.

As with other occupations, a good mechanic will make "turning a wrench" look easy. This can be really deceiving. Wink

Just to add, that I wasn't trying to make wrenching on a Vanagon seem like rocket surgery. It's not really that difficult. The hardest part I've found, is being patient.

FWIW, I got my start working on old Beetles, (even rebuilt a 36 HP engine) then Volvos, 2 Dodge slant six's, Rabbit diesel. From mid 90's to 2004 or so, stopped wrenching. Between a Honda Civic and brand new 1998 "Radio Ready" GM Fruit Fly (aka Fire Fly), there wasn't any need.

I was largely self taught, thus picked up some less than stellar habits in the old days. Since owning a Vanagon (or two Wink ), my skills have improved and branched out quite a bit. The Vanagon.com email list and this forum have helped a lot in that regard.

In buying a Vanagon, I've learned to tackle stuff I never would have tried some years ago. This has been a great thing for me to do!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: