Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door window channel resto question.What felt material u use?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAMAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Door window channel resto question.What felt material u use? Reply with quote

I have sandblasted and painted my metalic channels. I was lucky to find almost NOS ones, but rubber and felt material were damaged by time and bad storage.
So i have changed the rubbers (from ricardo. very pleased with them) but can't find correct material for the felt material that is glued on.
I have seen several repro offered by different saler on thesamba but it's either too thin or too thick...
I know it need to be UV and water protected...
Any clues or help will be highly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAMAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310266&highlight=window+channel

for the clues and tricks... but stil... where to buy the felt material from ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=70545
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this string, and the links, and looked in the Gallery....I think I know the answer, but want to verify. Is it correct that the felt material covers everything, including the rubber and the metal channel? Just want to make sure, since installing the felt and assembling the window assembly more than once sounds like something to be avoided.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the felt needs to cover the rounded edge so it has a finished look to it.

I just did my drivers side door last weekend.

I think the proper order for door assembly is:

1. Inner and outer glass seals (with the spring wire)
2. Curved glass channel
3. Inner latch mechanism
4. Straight glass channel
5. Door glass
6. Window regulator
----- Install door
7. Check strap/rod
8. Outer handle

I guess you could put the curved channel in after the inner latch as well.

I found it easiest to do this assembly with the door off.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoration specialties sells the mohair black cloth. The one thing you have to be careful of is that the cloth is glued, tucked all the way down to the very bottom of the rubber channel. I cut some 1/4 masonite sections that put together followed the curve of the upper window and used them to push, hold the felt all the way into the channel while the glue set. I used wood workers spring clamps. I think I have pics somewhere, will try to post later...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window channel resto question.What felt material u use? Reply with quote

Hello. Anybody who know someone who sell felt material for these window channels? In correct color, UV safe and for 1949 split?
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window channel resto question.What felt material u use? Reply with quote

BjornTore wrote:
Hello. Anybody who know someone who sell felt material for these window channels? In correct color, UV safe and for 1949 split?

got mine from Jacek, very good stuff
[email protected]
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window channel resto question.What felt material u use? Reply with quote

BjornTore wrote:

I got both the fabric and rubber from Ricardo (split parts unlimited) and it was very nice.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=319690
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: