Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: 36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West Reply with quote

Hi , has anyone used the Wolfsburg W 69 mm stroker crank? Any problems? thanks Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, a few on here have used them with good results. Just FYI I have a 36hp crank that was stroked and counterbalanced by DPR forsale in the classifieds. Either way is a good way to go.
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Crank Reply with quote

I just ordered the WW stroker crank. Merry Christmas to me.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedWagens wrote:
From what I have seen, a few on here have used them with good results. Just FYI I have a 36hp crank that was stroked and counterbalanced by DPR forsale in the classifieds.

You're asking $550 for a welded 36hp crank. Wolfsburg West is a new forging and cost $499 Confused
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These DPR cranks are just as good or better then anything out there. I believe Blackline ran there DPR 36hp crank to 8600rpm. Plus mine uses standard type 1 rods so you can choose the length and run H-beam rods if you want. I have a DPR 82mm in my 2276 turbo at it holds up to tons of abuse. So yes, I think it is just as good if not better then the Wolfsburg West crank.
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:

You're asking $550 for a welded 36hp crank. Wolfsburg West is a new forging and cost $499 Confused

The Wolfsburg West crank is a nice unit for sure. At $499 it is reasonably priced if a simple 69.5mm stroke is what you wish to build. With a custom made crank you can choose some options as to stroke, rod journal size, counterweights/no counterweights, etc. It depends on what you want your engine to do. $550 is about what a welded counterweighted crank costs to have made if you factor in the cost of a standard/standard core crank ($100) and the shipping to and from the crank builder
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Motorhead-

While I like the option of having a crank custom built to my specs, I would feel uncomfortable building a high performance crank out of something that could be broken by a 36 Hp engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: 1600 rods Reply with quote

So if you use 1600 rods on a special 36hp crank then you need a piston with 22mm wrist pin. Will 40hp pistons work or 1300 pistons are the only option? Newer 1300 pistons are probably stronger then 36hp pistons.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Mr. Motorhead-

While I like the option of having a crank custom built to my specs, I would feel uncomfortable building a high performance crank out of something that could be broken by a 36 Hp engine.

Cheers,

Paul

That is why a good core to start with costs $100 or more. I've been doing this with 36hp cranks since early 2004, not a single reported breakage yet. While I have run across broken cranks in core teardowns (a total of three) over the last 35 years, I've never been able to break one myself. I don't drive like Grandma but then I don't try to push a 36hp beyond its limit either. I log a lot of 36hp and 40hp miles, these engines have been my commuter of choice for many years when I don't drive my single cab truck. In my single cab I also run a welded stroker crank.......after breaking a fairly expensive forged stroker at less than 20k miles of service (1904cc SP). I haul a lot of weight with my truck which is what I bought it for. So far the welded crank has passed the 50k mark.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: cast Reply with quote

The broken crank in the pic, is it a stock forged or cast iron ? It`s hard to see but it looks like it was cracked for a while before it let go. I just blew a piston in my 25hp. I never broke any crank over the years. 25-36hp pistons seem pretty weak.
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 rods Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
So if you use 1600 rods on a special 36hp crank then you need a piston with 22mm wrist pin. Will 40hp pistons work or 1300 pistons are the only option? Newer 1300 pistons are probably stronger then 36hp pistons.

I was going to use 83mm 1500 pistons.
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
I just ordered the WW stroker crank. Merry Christmas to me.

Are they available again then? Or is it back ordered?

I like mine, seems to give much more clearence towards the cam then a 74mm porsche unit with 53mm rod size, though the special small 36hp rod size (50mm) is a challenge to find a good rod for, save for something custom like Pauter or so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Matthew. Since the 36hp Challenge began and 36hp cranks started going "where no man has gone before" in RPM's, and that is sustained high RPM's for a mile or more and we have never seen one break.

I believe the reason you and Tom Bruch, Blackline and others have no problems is you select good core 36hp cranks to begin with. A simple "ring" test of a suspended crank ( and that includes ALL crankshafts ) is almost as good, if not better than having a crank cracked checked by magnafluxing or other means. I think the 36hp Challenge racers have put to rest the myth about all 36hp cranks being weak.

Wolfsburg West 69.5mm new stroker crank. Photo by WW.

The beautiful part about the Wolfsburg West stroker crank is that it is new, eight doweled and easily available commercially from an extremely reputable Volkswagen parts supplier. You can't go wrong with the WW component.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Agreed Matthew. Since the 36hp Challenge began and 36hp cranks started going "where no man has gone before" in RPM's, and that is sustained high RPM's for a mile or more and we have never seen one break.

I believe the reason you and Tom Bruch, Blackline and others have no problems is you select good core 36hp cranks to begin with. A simple "ring" test of a suspended crank ( and that includes ALL crankshafts ) is almost as good, if not better than having a crank cracked checked by magnafluxing or other means. I think the 36hp Challenge racers have put to rest the myth about all 36hp cranks being weak.

Wolfsburg West 69.5mm new stroker crank. Photo by WW.

The beautiful part about the Wolfsburg West stroker crank is that it is new, eight doweled and easily available commercially from an extremely reputable Volkswagen parts supplier. You can't go wrong with the WW component.

Burly

Looks nice.
Isn't the myth of weak 36hp cranks actually come from the early R&D days when stormtroopers were driving the prototypes around which used cast cranks which snapped left and right, leading KdF to go with forged cranks?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 356 A crank and rods for my stocker project I need to send to DPR for turning it is stock now but rusty but the price was right FREE Iam new to the 36hp high performance but not new to vws by any means I run my own vw shop I wanted to keep my 57 bug stock sort of Wink I herd these early 356 cranks are a drop in (as much as a stroker crank is a drop in) and strong at least for a 36hp and the price was right .
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our friend Peter Plade has broken two 36 hp crankshaft, and I know he's not alone. .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349628&start=40

So I'm ancious about my build...

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the rods need to be clearanced with the WW crank like they do with the Okrasa crank?
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WW crank being test fit. It has 5.325 chevy journal rods that we figured out how to work on a stock 36 hp rod journal. Custom ground by Web Camshafts WW cam blank.

If the cam didn't have so much lift the rods would have cleared it, but I'm not comfortable with .010 rod to lobe clearance, so apart it comes to clearance and rebalance the rods. The rods clear the case just fine

This is going to be a 1397 cc with a Speedwell Pepco copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Rods Reply with quote

Wow looks good. Are you going to tell us the secret of putting those rods on the small diameter crank? Jim
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rods Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
Wow looks good. Are you going to tell us the secret of putting those rods on the small diameter crank? Jim

My q as well, but I think 3rd or 4th oversize chevy rod bearings...3rd over is +0.75mm while chevy is 50.80mm (nominal = 50.00), so still 0.05mm short, which they used as extra play or simply went one size further and turned the crank a little...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: