Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

a rattle I can't figure out.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: a rattle I can't figure out. Reply with quote

I have had a valve train type noise for some time. I have torn the heads down. All looked good. Reinstalled with new rockers and push rods (chromoly). Rattle still exists. So today I decided to tear the engine completely down. I expected to find a bad lifter bore or maybe even a bad bearing. Nope, all looked like a new build.

I am left thinking that maybe I have a piston slap issue. The pistons and cylinders look good. The clearance is a bit more than I like. But other than that, I can't find anything that would create this rattle/knock. What are your thoughts.
10 to 1 cr
1.4 ratio rockers
welded and ported heads
Erson cam .327 lift, 233 duration, 106 lobe centers.
Weber twin 44 idf
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engines with dual valve springs and chromoly P/R are noisier then single springs with aluminum P/R. Steel transmits noise while aluminum dampens noise. You need to carefully check the side clearances of your rockers.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set the side clearance of the rockers to .003-.004"
I am aware of the extra noise from the set up. My concern stems from the fact that the noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine no matter how I adjust the valve lash, which is set to "O". This makes me think there is something wrong in the set up on the left. But it all looks good.
Does piston slap sound like valve train noise? Would there be any visible evidence?
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cams make more rattle than others, if all the other parts look normal but you still have a lot of lash noise then suspect the cam!

The ends of the pushrods take time to wear into the lifters and rockers, until they do wear in there will be more noise. Changing them around may delay the process
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Gotcha
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
Itisa1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First switch the rocker arm assemblies from one side to the other and see if the noise moves to the other side, and then move the push rods to see...understand? if you end up with the noise still on one side you know what to check... one on my tricks is to use an old push rod with no tips and put one end up after the metal such as cylinders and head when jacked up and running and listen...
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for the valve guides loose. Took me a while to find it, but that was my crazy tapping noise. Valve guide literally sliding back and forth and hitting the retainer. madness.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tore down the engine and everything looked really good. I was expecting to find a bad lifter bore. But nope. The valve guides are all tight. The guides do have a small amount of wear. Not what I would think is enough to create the tapping noise.

I suppose this type of valve train is just noisier than I thought. I am going to replace the guides and valves for larger ones and put it back together. Hopefully, that will fix the noise. If not, my next step is to get the aluminum tapered push rods from ACN
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a motor that made a strange buzz that was a broken rocker stand, it was broke in half. It would go up in pitch when you rev-ed it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboat wrote:
Tore down the engine and everything looked really good. I was expecting to find a bad lifter bore. But nope. The valve guides are all tight. The guides do have a small amount of wear. Not what I would think is enough to create the tapping noise.

I suppose this type of valve train is just noisier than I thought. I am going to replace the guides and valves for larger ones and put it back together. Hopefully, that will fix the noise. If not, my next step is to get the aluminum tapered push rods from ACN

Do you have a straight cut gears? My cb straight cut gears sounds like clak clak...
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no straight cut gears.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might try adding the extra oil gally to the lifter gally, and sloting the lifter bores inward about 3/8" and outward about1/4" from each oil gally hole in each lifter bore.my chromoly push rods & 1.33 rocker assy is extreamly quiet.the only one quieter I have heard has a hydro cam in it.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get in there to slot it, A small file?
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a die grinder with an 1/8" carbide ballend bit.(dremol will do just fine too) about .040" deep.060-.080" wide.
the grove in the vw lifter isant always lined up with the gally so it dosent always have oil pressure to the pushrods with supply oil to the rockers. and adding the extra gally just ensures there is enough volume, you can also deepen&widen the slots in the cam bearing journol in the case halvs to increase the oil flow.a high volume pump should also be used(30mm).
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I have the 30 mm pump. I will consider this mod. I am also considering the Hoover mods.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the Hoover mods. Just a little bass-ackwards Laughing . Most people slot the lifters, not the case, on the principle that its better to modify the cheaper part.
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheeper part that will ne redooing when they need changed, or a burr left on 1 and it eats up the lifter bore, or you have a cam that dosent put the grove in the lifter in line with the gally at all times. modify the cheeper part? what a concept.so we should all throw away the webbers and just hog out the solex.& keep filing points instead of using electronics.and weld up junk oe heads instead of using a better casting.and weld up valves so there biger instead of buying good stainless valves.and tighten the loose nut behind the wheel before it causes an axadent.possiably use antiaxodents!!!! use more tire patches on bald tires instead of instaling new ones.I wonder why I never thought of that?hmm how about just welding some counter weights to the pully instead of the crankshaft?they could even be canted so it blows.
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the cheeper part that will ne redooing when they need changed, or a burr left on 1 and it eats up the lifter bore, or you have a cam that dosent put the grove in the lifter in line with the gally at all times. modify the cheeper part? what a concept.so we should all throw away the webbers and just hog out the solex.& keep filing points instead of using electronics.and weld up junk oe heads instead of using a better casting.and weld up valves so there biger instead of buying good stainless valves.and tighten the loose nut behind the wheel before it causes an axadent.possiably use antiaxodents!!!! use more tire patches on bald tires instead of instaling new ones.I wonder why I never thought of that?hmm how about just welding some counter weights to the pully instead of the crankshaft?they could even be canted so it blows.

Lol dude, don't get your panties in a wad. I didn't say grooving the bores was wrong, just that most people do the lifters instead. I don't always mod the cheaper part myself. I moved the main bearing oil holes in my aluminum case instead of moving the holes in the bearing. Thats a little different though, since I was fixing something that was wrong, not adding a mod that some future owner might not want.

And btw: anyone who would install a lifter with a burr on it probably isn't capable of grooving the bores properly either....
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with modifying the cheapest part. If that part is wrong. Otherwise, I'll modify the part that needs it most - cheap or not.
The issue with consumables having to be modified every time the engine is torn sounds stupid. JMHO
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove the side of the bore opposite how the cam rotates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: