Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you help me identify this wheel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I have 4 of these wheels on my Syncro and I'm hoping to learn how to identify them by name so I can place a "wanted to buy" ad in the Classifieds for a matching fifth wheel for my swing away tire carrier.

Can anyone tell me what the make and model of these is? I know I've seen them on many of the GW vans for sale over the years, but I don't see this wheel advertised on their site as an available product.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share,
Pedro[/img]
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Did you try and google that part number?

You'll find out instantly that it's an MB part.
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Damn Terry,

I never even SAW that number. Thanks, I'll do some digging around on the interwebs to see what I can find.

Edit: OK, who's proficient in German??? Very Happy
https://www.google.com/search?q="kba+44282"
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

It clearly an MB wheel.

Flip your phone onto the auto translation mode.

You didn't mention / ask what year, model, coupe, sedan,wagon, or SUV it was off of.

Just wanted it identified, and you did get the identification issue covered.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Mercedes Benz alloy wheels

MB7563572 / KBA 44282

Reports to Fit:
Mercedes E Class W211, W210, W171 W170 SLK Class, Mercedes CLK Class W209 W208, Mercedes C Class W203 W202

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

I have those on my 124. They're more than likely from a 210 chassis. Should be ET42

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

In the US, 1996 - 2000 Mercedes E320, E420s were offered with that wheel (16" x 7.5"). However, the Mercedes part number is 65166. I think GoWesty must have supplied a European version of that wheel with the part number clearly visible in your picture. I don't know if a US Mercedes wheel purchased through eBay will be identical or for that matter, whether the wheel size sold by GoWesty is the same as the US Mercedes offering.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Be aware that there are many, many aftermarket versions of that wheel and many of them have different specs compared to the factory Mercedes wheels. Aside from the obvious differences in sizes and offsets, the lug seats and wheel thickness through the lug hole area vary greatly. Be very sure of what you have in hand to be sure that the parts you use are correct for the wheel.

What makes me say this is that KB44282 is not a Mercedes part number.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Good catch. My MB rims don't have any externally visible script. Those are definitely aftermarket.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the very helpful replies! I have enough information to continue my research and try posting to the Classifieds to find that rare 5th wheel. Hopefully I can find one with the KBA designation stamped onto it so I know it's the same as what I have.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

I suggest that you contact GoWesty and find out what versions of your wheel they sold. Right now, GoWesty has many different sizes, widths and offsets of the different Mercedes Wheel style. As Chris said in his response above, the wheel part number does not give you enough information to determine if it is the same as your existing 4 wheels. You need to find out what sizes of your wheel GoWesty sold. Or measure your existing wheels to determine that. They may have sold your style of wheel in different sizes, widths and offsets.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Be aware that there are many, many aftermarket versions of that wheel and many of them have different specs compared to the factory Mercedes wheels. Aside from the obvious differences in sizes and offsets, the lug seats and wheel thickness through the lug hole area vary greatly. Be very sure of what you have in hand to be sure that the parts you use are correct for the wheel.

but MB7563572 is isn't it?

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:

but MB7563572 is isn't it?

Nope, that's not a Mercedes Part number either. The Mercedes part number for their 16x7.5 ET41 version is 2104010402.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

OK, I have an email from GW saying the supply of those particular wheels dried up several years ago, so that's when they started selling the current model of alloy MB replica you see on their site.

He did say that this version is "ET35 for the 5-hole model" and that they don't have any kicking around in a box anywhere. I'll keep looking, but thanks for all the helpful input so far.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

That's interesting. So the GoWesty wheel has an offset of ET35. The Mercedes OEM wheel has an offset of ET41. Did they happen to say if it is a 16" x 7.5" wheel?
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
That's interesting. So the GoWesty wheel has an offset of ET35. The Mercedes OEM wheel has an offset of ET41. Did they happen to say if it is a 16" x 7.5" wheel?

Sorry, they didn't say whether it was a 7" or 7.5" width wheel.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me identify this wheel? Reply with quote

KBA actually stand for Kraftfahrt Bundes Amt, and is an approval number from the german vehicle authorities (TÜV) that shows that this wheel (or any other item that has such a number) is approved for a certain vehicle. It should be accompanied with paperwork from TÜV that states what vehicles it is approved for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: