Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter in a custom bellhousing
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Hey all..

so I have a 1968 Type 1 engine in a motorcycle with a custom bellhousing. the bike was built a long time ago, and at one point had an electric starter (most vw motorcycles are kick start). I am trying to re-fit a new 12v starter to the bike, but the issue I am running into is the support bearing on the starter shaft. There is a hole in the cnc bellhousing where it looks like there is a bushing, and I am thinking maybe I should just remove the support bearing from the shaft. the bellhousing sits a lot closer to the bendix than the stock setup so this makes sense, but I thought I should ask the group -

is it ok to remove that support bearing if I know there will be a bronze bushing doing the same job in it's place?

thoughts?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Just run an autostick starter, they do not need any support on the shaft
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Starter bearing by Geeto67, on Flickr

This is the bearing I am thinking about removing.
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

ok, but I already own this starter and it wasn't cheap. so....wanna trade me a brand new auto starter for my stick starter?
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

maybe I am understanding you incorrect.

That is not a bearing for mounting, but the one directional lock bearing for your sprocket.

You probably have the bus starter which is approx 10 mm longer then the beetle starter.

If so you need to make up a 10 mm spacer between the mounting flange and the bell housing to take up this extra length.

Also see that the BRONZE bush is the correct size, as there are different shaft sizes.

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Retrovan wrote:
maybe I am understanding you incorrect.

That is not a bearing for mounting, but the one directional lock bearing for your sprocket.

You mean the bendix? no I am not talking about the bendix (thing between the starter and sprocket marked "mexico" in the pic), I am talking about that little black piece halfway down the shaft.

Retrovan wrote:

You probably have the bus starter which is approx 10 mm longer then the beetle starter.

this is the starter I bought:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/SR15N.html

Retrovan wrote:

If so you need to make up a 10 mm spacer between the mounting flange and the bell housing to take up this extra length.

The problem I have is the starter gear can't get close enough to seat against the flywheel. That black thing halfway down the shaft is too big to fit in the hole of the bellhousing with the support bushing.

Retrovan wrote:

Also see that the BRONZE bush is the correct size, as there are different shaft sizes.

Herman

Bronze bushing is the correct size, I checked.
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

48985786837_e9b2109205_k2 by Geeto67, on Flickr
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Geeto67 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

ok, but I already own this starter and it wasn't cheap. so....wanna trade me a brand new auto starter for my stick starter?

From the link you posted, this is the starter you should have gotten:

There is only so much throw in that starter solenoid. Just because you may be able to move the bearing on the end, it won't allow it to move any farther. Even if it did, you'd then have to cut down the shaft as it would bottom out in the bushing.
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Starter in a custom bellhousing Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Geeto67 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

From the link you posted, this is the starter you should have gotten:

well they don't give you a choice. I am going to call today and see if they will swap it out for one of the auto starters, but they don't offer the auto starter new, just refurb. I have a feeling they just drop ship from the mfg and don't keep a lot of inventory.

Bashr52 wrote:

There is only so much throw in that starter solenoid. Just because you may be able to move the bearing on the end, it won't allow it to move any farther. Even if it did, you'd then have to cut down the shaft as it would bottom out in the bushing.

The more I think about it, the more you might have a point about the automatic starter. Since the starter was missing when I bought the vehicle, there is a good chance I am missing a spacer for the manual starter, or quite possibly it was switched over to an auto starter at some point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: