Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Basket Case Manx II
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Basket Case Manx II Reply with quote

For Tom, (kustoms), I am setting a completion date of October 14, 2013. I know how he likes a deadline.

I picked this basket case Manx II up last week and challange myself to a totally different, over the top self built buggy, and have it ready for MOTB 2013. Wish me luck.

It is not going to be completly self built. I am going to farm out a few things.
1. I am going to have the 091 6 rib tranny freshened up by John, a local tranny builder, (I have never had a bus box apart, so I will leave it up to the gentleman who knows how to do them).

2. kustoms will be suppling the Sombrero Top. I liked the one I bought this year so well, I will not attempt to use anything else but his.

3. David, wvbowtieman will get leaned on to help me with final body work and he offered to paint it. I may just take him up on that. (his Lithia buggy won best Manx Style Buggy at MOTB'12)

4. Vic Dawson at Keith's Auto Parts in Clendenin WV will perform the machine work on the case and heads of the engine for me.

I will fab the custom tube chassis, roll cage, bumpers, suspension, mechanicals, electrical and build the engine.

And, the fiberglass work. d'oh!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I want to get started some where between Christmas and New Years

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One to watch for sure. Cool No challenge here.... Wink

Philosophically I'm not sure I am a fan of putting a deadline on a hobby build, especially for "artists" like you and Kustoms and so many other talented builders I've had the pleasure to watch.

I drag mine to our local club picnic every year, a very low key fun event. The first year I showed up with the beginnings of a square tube frame, front beam, tranny, and wheels. Just enough to tow to the picnic. They almost revoked my membership, but I told them I needed the annual milestone to keep me on track, they offered to do their part to razz me if I didn't make enough progress. Been to 4 picnics now...... Rolling Eyes 2nd year was the worst, they knew me well enough and the buggy looked like a pile of poor potential. They are starting to cheer me on more confidently now.

Anyhoo, I love your builds and will be watching this one with relish. Kind of like a reality TV show with an imposed deadline..... Popcorn

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the props, need them on this build.

If I did not put the deadline on it, it would end up like my Oval Baja build. 3 years into it and the body work is not yet done.

Your story sounds very familiar. wvbowtieman brought his roller to our club show last spring.

And that is cool.

I already feel like I am behind schedule.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

I look forward to seeing the resulting buggy! To what address should we send the donation of 5 gallons of Bondo? Laughing

bryan
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan, I think you mis-understood. This is a "Manx" Buggy, not a "Bondo" Buggy. Shocked

I do not think it will be hard to put the sides back together at all. I am dreading the hood the most, then the leading edge of the left front fender.

I am still in the middle of another buggy build and have this already completed pan I will bolt the body sections to and then glass the gaps. That way I am sure the body will be straight.

I may even ask Vince to splash me a mold of the front fender area like he did for Roy's buggy and ship me the mold so I can lay up a repair/replacement piece to graft in. The hood is just hard to deal with because it is hard to hold and work on at the same time. The hoods are just awkward.

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was one that was made without the reinforcing tubes under the sills. After you reassemble it you could add reinforcing tubes by running 2" flexible plastic tubing under the fenders and sides and glassing it in place. That's how Manx did it originally. It would help tie everything together and stiffen things up and its also the best place to run your wire harness.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Looks like it was one that was made without the reinforcing tubes under the sills. After you reassemble it you could add reinforcing tubes by running 2" flexible plastic tubing under the fenders and sides and glassing it in place. That's how Manx did it originally. It would help tie everything together and stiffen things up and its also the best place to run your wire harness.

This is the body I PM'ed you about a couple weeks ago that is a late production body # 1356.

I will either glass in some tubes or fab a side impact crash bar like David and I did on his Lithia buggy. 1 5/8, 0.120 wall DOM tubing tied into the roll cage with inside/outside flanges that is bolted together after the body is set and cage bolted in. He ran the wiring through the DOM tubing.

1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

You are a brave sole. I saw that body in Vince's backyard and envisioned a Manx dune buggy couch Laughing After seeing yours and the other WV guys buggies I don't doubt you'll complete your goal. I can't wait to see the "after" version next year (MOTB).

Bud
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get that Manx back together (and I'm sure you will) it will without question be the buggy which has been brought back the farthest from the edge of oblivion. The body has been cut into how many pieces?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main tub is in 6 pieces, 7 with the hood. 11 with the side pods/panels.

I also got the flat side pods/panels that were also cut??? I am guessing the side pod/panels were screwed on when the sides were cut out which resulted in the panels getting cut too. Vince did not know if the side pods/panels were a Manx option or not, but the blue metal flake gell coat is a spot on match to the body.

Thanks again Bud for the props. David, Keith and I worked hard to make it and had a great time at MOTB. You and Vince make a good team organizing the event. I wish you never mentioned the couch idea. Now that is swimming around in my head. Kinda like the Cobra couch. I bet I could make a desk out of the front too.

Nah, I sit on the couch and at a desk too much already, I want a buggy!

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

You got this body from Vince? Hmm... we have something in common besides family in West Virginia. My buggy came from Vince, in two pieces.

We MUST take the saws away from Vince... Laughing

I think you'll have fun on this new build!

bryan
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I am really looking forward to seeing your build. Seems like a pretty daunting task, specially with the deadline.

PM me if you need any unskilled help any time.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PM me if you need any unskilled help any time.

Hahahaha!

How is your build coming? Last progress I saw it is taking shape very nicely.

I have to finish two other small projects first before starting on this Manx, but looking forward to it. I will finally get to use parts of the pan I got from you on this Manx.

karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

How is your build coming? Last progress I saw it is taking shape very nicely.

Between the cold weather and work, it has slowed down a lot. I am working on the gas tank and almost done with it. Hoping to finish it by end of this summer; may be earlier.
SteveManx2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the body I PM'ed you about a couple weeks ago that is a late production body # 1356.
[/quote]

That number is close to my Manx 2 which is #1379. Let me know if you need and pictures or dimensions to help get her back together. Good luck with your project!

Steve
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little brown truck delivered the paint today.

I am going to cut in a little Mango Tango orange to darken it just a couple shades.

kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this thread?

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to hide it from you so you would not try to copy me and build a buggy to take to MOTB.

kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late!

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youse Guys have funny looking lawns up there.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: