Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA DMV and SPCNS (Specially Constructed Vehicle)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony anything new to add ??????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sandhopper,

I left the DMV about 8 yrs ago. I hope you had a success in registration.

Tony
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny how some people think.. Reply with quote

jgreen61 wrote:
It is a cold hard fact that it is illegal in the state of California to convert your VW Beetle into fiberglass Dune Buggy and not regiester it as a SPCNS vehicle PERIOD !

Have you got a reference for your cold hard fact by chance ? or is that just your opinion based on experience ?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

Ditto...

Note third paragraph...

Since a fiberglass buggy is not recognizable as a beetle its a SPCN...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

Ditto...

Note third paragraph...

Dale

is this the paragraph you are talking about

"Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle."

if so have a read it clearly says if you modify a Beetle and after it is still recognizable as a Volkswagen then it is NOT A SPCN.

Pay attention to the wording and if you can honestly tell me 90% of people don't recognize a Beach Buggy as Volkswagen then you must talk to different people to me.

The wording DOES NOT say if is cant be recognized as a Beetle, it specifically drops the word Beetle in the example.

Anyway in the last 2 years I have put 3 SPCN's on the road and had 5 rejected and told they are not SPCN as you still recognize them as a Volkswagen.

It is funny the guys on here who actually put these things on the road in any real QTY seem to view it differently to those who like to talk about what might and might not be the results.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
Anyway in the last 2 years I have put 3 SPCN's on the road and had 5 rejected and told they are not SPCN as you still recognize them as a Volkswagen....

Reading through a few threads on this topic and getting other peoples experiances there are several interpretations done by the DMV. IMO it has a lot to do with who you get at the DMV how they handle it. May also depend on the mood they are at the time. This all can be very frustrating for some while a smooth process for others.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

Ditto...

Note third paragraph...

Dale

"Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle."

if so have a read it clearly says if you modify a Beetle and after it is still recognizable as a Volkswagen then it is NOT A SPCN.

Pay attention to the wording and if you can honestly tell me 90% of people don't recognize a Beach Buggy as Volkswagen then you must talk to different people to me.

The wording DOES NOT say if is cant be recognized as a Beetle, it specifically drops the word Beetle in the example.

Anyway in the last 2 years I have put 3 SPCN's on the road and had 5 rejected and told they are not SPCN as you still recognize them as a Volkswagen.

It is funny the guys on here who actually put these things on the road in any real QTY seem to view it differently to those who like to talk about what might and might not be the results.

Not buying your argument..... Visually they do not ever look close.... Its not about what (insiders) people know what it is it is what visually interpreted..... I have to to agree with DMV statement if I did not know a Manx style buggy was on a VW chassis I would have to think its a custom built kit car (that could be build on alien space chassis or what ever ) ...

You in the business should know this more than someone who is just a casual observer....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

Ditto...

Note third paragraph...

Dale

That paragraph is specifically referencing the "baja" style with modified fenders, hood, engine lid, etc. This is not a SPCN:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This should be a SPCN because it has a completely different body (a kit) and doesn't visually resemble a Beetle:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV and SPCNS (Specially Constructed Vehicle) Reply with quote

Has anyone purchased a completed buggy registered and titled in California as a Beetle and brought it into compliance through the SPCNS process? If so, can you share the details?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: