Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA DMV and SPCNS (Specially Constructed Vehicle)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Better think about getting it legal if its not a SPCNS title Reply with quote

desertwrx wrote:
My Calif licensed buggy was out of the DMV computer's list when I bought it. Been sitting for 8 years in Pinion Pines. Went to the DMV, got the paper work started, had a local CHP officer do the inspection, and got it registered. Pretty easy.

I have to ask.. when was this done? What year? and most importantly was your Buggy registered as a SPCNS vehicle or as a VW Beetle? There is a amnesty program that just expired on 06/30/2012 (read below) I am telling you they DMV has a awareness now of people regestering thier Dune Buggys as for example "1967 VW Convertable" This is not legal and for the state of CA to have a amnesty program this tells me that they have plans on enforcing the SPCNS rules. It may not be long till the day you get pulled over by a cop and he asks for your registration and sees your Dune Buggy is not titled correctly as a SPCNS vehicle and he impounds your vehicle or issues you a citation for incorrectly titled vehicle. They may even start checking registrations when you enter Pismo Beach or other State rec areas

Vehicle Registration Amnesty Program
VC Section 9565. (a) (1) The department shall develop and administer a vehicle registration amnesty program, which shall be in effect from July 1, 2011, until June 30, 2012, for vehicles that have been registered previously or classified incorrectly and that are correctly registered in accordance with this section.

READ MORE... http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc9565.htm
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Went to the DMV again............... Reply with quote

I got up early and went to the CA DMV to get my SB100 Certificate of Sequence number. I was at the DMV at 8:00am on 1/2/13... the door says they open at 8:00am.. the internet says they open at 8:00am... but I guess they didnt feel like opening the door untill 9:00am and now there are 40 or more people waiting to get inside, So I wait and when I its my turn I am told that I must have the CHP verify my vin before I can be issued a SB100 Certificate of Sequence number. I issist they are incorrect but get no ware.. I leave pissed and lucky the CHP office felt my pain and allowed to made room to inspect my vin. I go back to DMV and I am being told not to worry there is no limit on SPCNS issued and after having an intence heated discussion with the DMV drone and her manager and showing them the procedure I had printed off the DMV web site they finnally got it and understood I WANT TO BE SMOG EXEMPT and only 500 per year have this option. I wanted to beat the crap out of these idiots, three hours it took them to get this done and in the end I was not givin a number, and when I asked for it I was told I should get it in the mail in a couple weeks,, I said no I am supose to get it now and they tryed to make another call but could not get through and said they would keep trying and they would call me back when they got my number for me. in the end they both admitted they had never done this before.. and I am not sure this was done correctly, I have zero confidence. Couple of over paid morons !!!!!!!!!!!!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They numbers are issued at the main office in Sacramento . You're probably fine.
dazn9796
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sucks I went thru the same thing with my buggy back in 08. the run around game. Lots of time killed and waisted. My buggy was also out of the system and registered as a spcn buggy. When I went to get it all reregistered I had to have the vin verified and reissued because when I cleaned the pan and painted it i scraped off the last Ca. issued vin. I got the inspection new vin number went back to DMV and got it registered. As the lady was doing I was talking with her and as she entered the info and handed me my new reg. card it said 08 spcn buggy. I showed it to her and pulled out the last reg. card from 93 and it said first sold in 1970. So i showed her that and she changed it on the spot. She redid all the paper work and now it is registered as an 1970 spcn buggy. Hang in there if you do not like the answer you get from one person go to another one. 1 question to five different dmv workers will get you five different answers.

Dave

70 Safari Trail
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: whew ! Reply with quote

Got my certificate of sequence number in the mail the other day, I am glad I am through this first step..... The certificate is very inportant looking with embossed state seal on it and stating certified copy. Very Happy
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear. I guess you still need to take it to a referee to have them confirm the engine is a 62, but then you're free and clear with no smog or questionable title worries ever. The special construction title is more trouble up front but probably better in the long run than a "Volkswagen 2 door" title.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: whew ! Reply with quote

jgreen61 wrote:
Got my certificate of sequence number in the mail the other day, I am glad I am through this first step..... The certificate is very inportant looking with embossed state seal on it and stating certified copy. Very Happy

It seems that there is almost always a lot of headache and wasted time getting these through all of the registration process. I did mine a couple of years ago and it took me 7 months from start to finish!

The trick was getting all the steps in line to go to the referee. His word trumps everyone elses (including CHP) on whether you get the pre 1975 smog exemption or have to smog to the engine year.

My local CHP classified my Laser 917 as a 1978 in spite of my 1969 chassis number that was plain to see. The smog referee took one look at the car, asked me what it resembled, and classified it as a "Pre-1965" so that it could go through the rest of the registration process without having to pass current smog.

BTW, I tried to get the SB100 in either Feb or Mar and ended up with #98 out of the 500 allowed. seems that the big rush is somewhat slowed, possibly the economy.
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
That's good to hear. I guess you still need to take it to a referee to have them confirm the engine is a 62, but then you're free and clear with no smog or questionable title worries ever. The special construction title is more trouble up front but probably better in the long run than a "Volkswagen 2 door" title.

Recently when I was looking to buy my Manx type buggy I did not see even one advertised as a SPCNS titled vehicle. This leeds me to believe that as many as 80% or more may be titled illegally. Califoria just ended a amnesty program for illegally registered vehicles and this tells me they have plans to start enforcement. Law makers need to keep comming up with laws to justify their over paid jobs and most of the laws they write have a provision to fine and make money to pay for their wothless ass salarys. The off road helmet law is a prime example. I agree and I am happy to have my Buggy correctly titled as a SPCNS, I just wish I would have gone to another DMV and with pink slip in hand showing year first built 1969 I may have gotten it registered as a 1969 SPCNS vehicle vs the current 2012 SPCNS vehicle,, not sure what difference really,, just thinking of the future and also it would have been easyer and I would be done now.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Agree Reply with quote

jgreen61 wrote:

I just wish I would have gone to another DMV and with pink slip in hand showing year first built 1969 I may have gotten it registered as a 1969 SPCNS vehicle vs the current 2012 SPCNS vehicle,, not sure what difference really,, just thinking of the future and also it would have been easyer and I would be done now.

It really doesn't matter if it is a 2012 vehicle, as long as you get one of the 500 alloted slots per year the referee determines the year of make in regards to how it is officially looked at smog wise.

In my case the guy ahead of me at the referee station had a new home built rail buggy. It had a modern DOHC Honda engine in it and he still got the pre-1965 designation so he never has to smog it either.
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. I would like to know your folks opinion on this. When I purchased my donor car a 1967 bug with a title I went to AAA and had it registered in my name. Then I proceeded to dissemble it and made it a manx. So as of now it's just registered as a 67 Beetle. It does have a early 70's 1600 DP in it. I have been driving all over daily and not one look from any officials. I even had 2 LAPD pull up next to me at the local taco shop. I am even missing wipers and the front license pate. Now that the Amnesty Program is gone how should I go about registering it properly. Here in LA a right turn on red infraction is $500! Imagine what a they will charge for your vehicle registered incorrectly? Thank you in advance for all the help.

Last edited by Glassy Guy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give you any specifics but if it were me I would try to get it reregistered to proper "title"... Have not heard of anybody being dinged by the gestapo, but it can happen and a tow and impound may be more traumatic than trying to get it reregistered properly... It may also effect how you have it insured....

Cops at taco stands are just hungry, cops looking to keep their jobs (make money for their city) may be a different story...

Most times cops have better things to do than just harass some body driving a buggy but there is always one....

Other part of scenario is if you get into accident your insurance may void your coverage and you are own your own because you misrepresented to them what they were insuring... YES they can do that....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. Your right! I wouldn't bother anybody if I was hungry. Insurance is another story as I have it insured as a 67 Beetle. I have to change that soon. I didn't want to open a can of worms as I am driving it but I guess it's best to do it right. Should I go into DMV and say I'd like to change the way my vehicle is registered? Man! I see a world of pain and suffering in my future. Lol.
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Agree with Dale... Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:
Hi Everyone. I would like to know your folks opinion on this. When I purchased my donor car a 1967 bug with a title I went to AAA and had it registered in my name. Then I proceeded to dissemble it and made it manx. So as of now it's just registered as a 67 Beetle. It does have a early 70's 1600 DP in it. I have been driving all over daily and not one look from any officials. I even had 2 LAPD pull up next to me at the local taco shop. I am even missing wipers and the front license pate. Now that the Amnesty Program is gone how should I go about registering it properly. Here in LA a right turn on red infraction is $500! Imagine what a they will charge for your vehicle registered incorrectly? Thank you in advance for all the help.

Dale is correct, Mostly I read that its nothing to worry about but the fact is all it takes is one cop or like Dale said you get into a accedent and its your fault and you injured somone, its not a far streach to that your insurance will not cover you and you will have to pay.

To answer your question what to so since the amnesty program has ended, well its really simple. All you have to do is non op your buggie for a few months, then go to the DMV and tell them you converted your buggy to a SPNCS vehicle and you want to get a SB100 Smog Waver Certificate of Sequence. If you have been reading this thread there are only 500 of these issed anualy so timming of your non op may be somthing to comsider if you drive your Buggy a lot to mininize your down time. When you have a SB100 certificate mailed to you then you go to the smog referee and you will be given a choise if you want to smog your buggy by model year or engine year,, make sure any California smog is on your engine for the year it or the vehicle. If you choise year of vehicle they may default to 1960 but you should run your VIN and print a copy of VIM id's on this site proving your VIN is 1967 or what ever. Personally I am putting a 1962 40HP in mine for smog.

Really you have it easy,, you will just have to spend a little time at the DMV and Smog Referee and not be able tp drive your buggy for a couple months. Basicly you will be telling them it is a new Buggy build and they could care less. Just make sure if your engine is stock more of less in apeaance,, header wount be a problem but duel carbs or single carb withing crankcase vent going to air cleaner would ne a no no.. just basic smog, no open crankcase vents.
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great. That's not too bad. I have a single carb and a vent to the air cleaner. I'll check it out. Thank you again everyone.
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:
Wow! Great. That's not too bad. I have a single carb and a vent to the air cleaner. I'll check it out. Thank you again everyone.

Just a punch list you MUST follow or the DMV drones will screw it all up.

Very Happy A good starting point would be to make a apointment with your local CHP office AFTER you non-op it (Get a one day moving permit from DMV and tow it) and get your VIN verified by CHP as it will be part of the SPNCS process, make sure you know your VIN location and is clearly visible. You could have the DMV verify your VIN also if you wish at your first DMV visit, My DMV was full of idiots so I didnt go that route.

Very Happy First visit to DMV you need to explain you just built a Dune Buggy and want to register it as a SPNCS vehicle and you want it to have the SB100 Smog Waver so you will be needing a Certificate of Sequence number. Only 500 are issued anualy and its first come first serve. Make sure they understand you are not just wanting the run of the mill SPNCS registration,, if you find you are getting the deer in the head lights look then you should walk/run away and go to a differant DMV office Mad If the DMV Drone fully understands your objective is to have a smog exempt vehicle and one of the 500 certificates then proceed Surprised

Very Happy It would be nice to have your VIN verification in hand, if not you will have to have the DMV Drone do it and be ready for a wait and possible stupidity and arogance Rolling Eyes You must always refer to your Dune Buggy as a brand new SPNCS build you just completed durring your non-op period and you never drove or parked in on a city street. Prior to the non-op it was a 19XX VW Beetle

Very Happy You should leave with a Certificate of Sequence number I am told,, I was not given one and was told I would get on in the mail and I did a couple weeks later. When you get your certificate you then can get a temp driving permit or move/tow permit from the DMV and make a apointment with the smog referee and from what I read in the DMV web site it says you will be given a choise of year of vehicle or year of engine, as stated above make sure you are smoged for the year you pick and you should have no problems and referee will attach a sticker (advise you pick a spot out where you want your sticker to be placed) and refferee will give you paper work and then back to one last trip to DMV were you get licence plates and tags Very Happy

Very Happy Read up on what is required for a new SPNCS build, DMV has all the info online in detail.. print out copies and bring it with you Exclamation
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: One last VERY important part ! Reply with quote

Almost forgot...

Read the SPCNS requirments on DMV web site, Part of the process for regestration include money,, Yep the DMV wants your money, The licence and regestration fees are not going to be much but there is a SPCNS form required that is a statment of facts you must fill out and sign stating your cost for the SPCNS build, meaning parts value,, ie engine, trans, body, etc... The DMV will want to tax you on this,, I am thinking sales tax of the total you spent to build your Buggy. In my case my Buggy was already a SPCNS regestered vehicle and was just out of the system, but my pink slip showed it as SPCNS so I didnt have to do this part,, but you will.

I did fill out this form online on DMV web site and printed it out and signed it just in case it was asked for.

The form asks for value amounts and reciepts if available, You should do as I did and put low ball prices and keep your build realistic and in my opinion that should be no less then $2,000 and no more then $5,000, just be realistic. Your engine and trans cost would be zero as you had then but I think they ask value so you could say engine $300, trans $200, Body $500 etc... if asked for reciepts just say you collected all your parts used off craigslist and ebay and swap meets and you dont have any reciepts. Its not like you build a Shelby Cobra 427cid replica ,, a 2K to 5K value will be belivable and the tax fee wont hurt too bad. Very Happy
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you so much for all the information. That is a ton if insight and help. I just have to figure out when I want to go through with this. Guess I could have been doing this while I was building it. Thank you so much again.
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:
Wow! Thank you so much for all the information. That is a ton if insight and help. I just have to figure out when I want to go through with this. Guess I could have been doing this while I was building it. Thank you so much again.

No problem, I just dont want anyone to have to go through the hell I went through... If the DMV Drone knows about SB100 and you have your stuff together its really not too dificult
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that I found helpful is to bring ALL of your paperwork with you every time you go to an appointment with anyone. I found out how annoying it is to deal with these public departments that can never get everything straight and lose paperwork for you!.
jgreen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
Another thing that I found helpful is to bring ALL of your paperwork with you every time you go to an appointment with anyone. I found out how annoying it is to deal with these public departments that can never get everything straight and lose paperwork for you!.

LOL ... Hell yes bring everything with you every time, including the detailed instructions on thier own DMV site, I had the lady working on mine ask to see my instructions as she was not seeing it on her computer, that was the turning point for me when she could see I knew what I was talking about.... Oh ya and make copies of everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: