Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA DMV and SPCNS (Specially Constructed Vehicle)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay a boat load of extra money for the AAA RV Plus roadside service, I got it in case my motorcycle broke down
I lost an axle on my sailboat trailer (27' BIG) and they sent out a flat bed truck with a winch and put the whole boat and trailer on the truck and dropped it off 90 miles away in my driveway... no charge
I'm pretty sure the buggy wouldn't be a problem with the RV coverage
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope to chime on this subject,

I had been a CA DMV employee for almost 10 years (don't hate), I had seen different types of reg situations. First thing, a vw is a vw. A buggy or empi sportster or Manx would be special construction vehicle. AAA will not be able to help, they are only trained to get basic paper work. CHP is by the book, you have to get all your documents, receipts and even photos to make sure they do the job right.

I hope to get some follow guidelines for the future build and place it on the forum.

Tony
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, The way I read the vehicle code, you're only allowed to own one special construction vehicle at a time, is that true?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Tony, The way I read the vehicle code, you're only allowed to own one special construction vehicle at a time, is that true?

Where did you find that tidbit of information???... Got section and paragraph?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Freaking stupid drones Reply with quote

Anyone got a recommendation for a DMV nearish to Sacramento that is t full of incompatant drones?
So I go in looking to secure a cert of sequence... Drone manager tells me," that's not a kit car, its just a bunch of parts you've put together" and I come out five hours later completely empty handed.
Even though it clears states on the web page that I need to begins the process prior to making a vin vertification appointment with the CHP, the drones won't do there job untill after I get a vin verification/assignment which the CHP refuses to do untill I've got DMV paperwork.
Need to go elsewhere to get this going. Please make a recommendation if you have one.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you the first one to use the term kit car? Rule 1 is to never volunteer information they don't request. I've noticed that if you provide unsolicited info, just like anyone else they might take it that you are trying to tell them how to do their job so the natural inclination is to show you they are the experts and in charge.

Just go in and tell them you have a special construction vehicle and you want a certificate of sequence. Wait for them to ask the questions.

Take all these definitions of special construction vehicle in the vehicle code and by the Bureau of Automotive repair with you. You can see it can be a kit OR a collection of parts, etc. You should be familiar with all of them, but only pull them out if needed.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc580.htm

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivities/Specially_Constructed_Vehicles/SPCN_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I've heard good things about Jackson

You should try to have this filled out first but hold on to it until its asked for.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.pdf

Last edited by BL3Manx on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:26 am; edited 5 times in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

Where did you find that tidbit of information???... Got section and paragraph?

Dale

I read it but have to find it again.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I found it at the very end of this. I'm not sure what it means but the parts about, "with smog exempt status on the record." makes me wonder.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be reissued if the record shows a smog exempt status and the original State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Information Label is not affixed to the vehicle for:
— SPCNS nonresident vehicles with a vehicle record showing a smog exempt status.
— Buyers registering a vehicle as SPCNS with smog exempt status on the record.
In these cases, the owner must take the vehicle to BAR.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
OK I found it at the very end of this. I'm not sure what it means but the parts about, "with smog exempt status on the record." makes me wonder.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be reissued if the record shows a smog exempt status and the original State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Information Label is not affixed to the vehicle for:
— SPCNS nonresident vehicles with a vehicle record showing a smog exempt status.

Think you are reading to much into this.... Mostly I think it deals with initial registration of vehicle with SPCN sequence and person who initiated project abandons it or sells it and next owner has just a pile of grief to get DMV/BAR to continue the registration process....

Remember SMOG is a BAR responsibility and its different than DMV and the two don't even understand what the other is supposed to do or when to do it or whether it needs to be done or....

I tried to register a home built trailer frame and DMV could not understand "all new materials" and still wanted me to have CHP to inspect it for VIN number CHP just laughed, and I went back to DMV and got different drone and it was sort of "new build huh?" heres your plate and VIN sticker, umm its sort of raining and wet out "you will put VIN sticker on when its dry wont you".... Well DUH, yeah!...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think/hope you're right. I was hoping Yankeee1919 could confirm
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

What a huge can of worms!

Ok

Levi, I am sorry the DMV drone gave you a huge run around. Just some ideas,

1)Make an appointment at your local dmv, if you can make it for 4pm or later. They will have to get it done before 5, they don't like to pay for overtime.

2) Stay with the same office, if there is a question you can always refer back to the tech (aka drone) what they did.

3) get a binder with all your receipts and supporting documents.

4) Keep any copies that the dmv makes, this will make it easier for paper trail.

5) DMV start, CHP verification (DOJ- Department of Justice verification), back to DMV for end.

6) Smile, the drones go back to semi human Laughing

I will confirm with some dmv buddies about a simple format.

BL3

I am not aware of owning only 1 special construction at a time.
On Jan 2, only 500 SCV are allowed for the year.

You have the right DMV link and BAR link.

Vw beetle that looks like a baja (fenders, hood) goes easier than a Manx, Empi or Burro to get registration.

Some techs have more experience with paper work and computer codes.

I will check with dmv again. Very Happy

Tony
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:

BL3

I am not aware of owning only 1 special construction at a time.

Vw beetle that looks like a baja (fenders, hood) goes easier than a Manx, Empi or Burro to get registration.

Some techs have more experience with paper work and computer codes.

I will check with dmv again. Very Happy

Tony

Tony, I'm good, don't want to stir the hornets nest. Thanks

Bajas are probably easier because they're not registered as special construction.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but its pathetic one has to quote section and paragraph to someone who is there to see its done right...

Dale

Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Funny...
I actually did everything that was suggested with the exception of bringing a printed copy of the BAR docs.
What still blows my mind is that the drone at the DMV assumed I knew jack about the process... If a guy spends five years building a car its pretty easy to assume that he's also pretty well versed in getting it legal... Especially if this is his third special construction.
I guess it still holds true; to assume makes an ass out of yoU and Me.
I guess I get what I deserve. I'll try Jackson though.
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: DMV California Reply with quote

I have had good experiences with the DMV in Yuba City and Oroville. I live in the Bay Area and have pretty much given up with the Daly City and San Mateo offices unless it is something simple. Due to the large population to clerk ratio at these offices the clerks are overworked and seem to not want to be very helpful on non standard registrations.
When I purchased my project buggy it did have a SPCN pink slip issued in 1968 but it was out of the system. It did have the SPCN on the title as well as two SPCN stickers that were also pop riveted to the pan tunnel and rear torsion bar housing. I had it verified by a police officer (not CHP) and took the paperwork to the DMV in Yuba City.
There was some initial confusion over the reissuing of a title in my name as they said it was going to need to be inspected by a smog referee as well. I contacted the smog referee and explained what I had and he told me that I should go back to the DMV and tell them it is exempt as it is a 1968 SPCN vehicle.
When I went back to the DMV I explained this to the clerk who had to get her supervisor involved but the supervisor agreed that it was no different than trying to register a 1968 vehicle and I left the office with registration and plates.
Make an appointment, have your paperwork in order, and keep a good attitude. Again both the Oroville and Yuba City DMV offices have been lucky for me. Oroville is less crowded than Yuba City but I would still make an appointment for either.
It took two trips but in retrospect it was easier than some of the other obstacles that I have encountered in rebuilding my basket case buggy.
copper204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gals in Sonora, Ca. are experts on the SB100. Just have a long wait time. so always make appointments.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624562&highlight=sb100
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

The SB100 numbers are assigned to a vehicle, not to a person. This does not limit the number of cars you can own.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right but is that information you were provided by the DMV or just how you read the reg?
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
I think you're right but is that information you were provided by the DMV or just how you read the reg?

"the record" in the stuff you quoted refers to the vehicle's registration information at the DMV. It's not referring to the owner.

An SB100 "certificate of sequence" is just a document that you take to the BAR that tells them your car is allowed to be exempt from smog checks (year of engine, year of body resemblance, or 1960). The Vehicle Information Label they stick on the car lists the smog checks required for the year chosen and the SB100 number for reference. Then you get a signed smog inspection sheet you need for the DMV registration and smog exemption. The section you quoted is just saying that if you are re-registering a car (purchased from someone else) that already had an SB100 exemption, it needs the BAR Vehicle Information Label on the car. If it doesn't have a label you have to go back to the BAR to get one and an inspection sheet before you can finish registering the car in your name.

See an SB100 certificate and BAR sticker here (and how they each specify the vehicle) as well as a description of the process:

https://csr175.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/the-road-to-registration-in-ca/
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this as I have a project I hope to get done soon and I will need to do all this
The sportster I have does not have a vin number on the pan , that area is cut out . So what I have gotten from this , thanks Tony
is
1 car needs to be complete
2 make the apointment at DMV after 4 PM
3 Take any documents I have for the build
4 keep copies of all they do
5 don't offer any info let them tell me what it is
6 SMILE BE NICE
7 Long process
Tony can I make an appointment with you ????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: