Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am truly impressed by the care and diligence you and your wife are putting into your bus. My sincere hope that you enjoy thousands of miles of smiles...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Power Inlet Box REVISITED Reply with quote

Power Inlet Box REVISITED ... or The Thing That Really, Really Wouldn't Die.

I've been trying to get things ready so as to install the refrigerator. The power inlet box would need to be wired and mounted, then the woodgrain wall panel fabricated, and the fridge could go in!

But the box had other plans for my time. Sad

A while ago I made a new box gasket out of neoprene. It fit the box. When I test-fit the box against the side of the bus, it became clear the flat gasket was too thick and wouldn't compress enough for the perimeter of the box to sit right. Shocked

While fiddling with the box, I began to notice the cover was no longer moving freely. Not only that, the rod that serves as the hinge pivot point began slowly walking out as I'd open/shut the cover. This all seemed to work perfectly just before I set it on the shelf. Shocked

I swear, this thing is cursed!!

Little did I know when I first pulled it off the bus that I was literally looking into the face of evil. Twisted Evil This is a photo from way back when I first removed and disassembled it. See the happy people in the photo? They are happy because they are not working on a Westalia power inlet box and instead, drinking lots of wine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Me? I work on the box. If you go back earlier in this thread you can read about all the "exciting" work that has gone into it this far. Let's just say it's getting more than a little ridiculous.

So, what's a guy to do? Well, get to work fixing things *again*. Not done 'til it's done right ... right?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Seat prop Reply with quote

Hi Eche
What does the prop circled in red catch on? I have the prop rod, but I do not see what it would locate under to hold the seat up.
Thank You
Tcash

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Inlet Box REVISITED - the fixes

Hinge spring
I tried and tried to bend the hinge spring in such a fashion that it would work properly. Finally giving up, I put out the word I needed a new one. Somehow in all the taking apart and putting together I must have bent something, and no amount of reasoning, pliers, and good intention was going to bring it back.

Biscuit79 saved the day by selling me a far-gone box with a perfectly good hinge spring. A few hours later (the lid is extremely tough to re-install), I had a properly working lid again! Very Happy

What's special about the gasket
This is an original gasket. So what's the big deal? The big deal is that it is molded with two thicknesses of material. The inside is thick to seal the inside of the box. The outside is thin, for sealing the box perimeter. I thought I could do it with a single thickness and make it work. Nope! Embarassed

How to make a new gasket ('cause you sure as heck can't buy one!)
I used closed-cell Neoprene/EPDM/SBR blend foam sheet for gasket material as it is UV/Ozone/Waterproof and so is a commonly used for this sort of application. McMaster-Carr sells this in 42" wide sheets, in increments of a foot long. $4-5 per linear foot. It is sold in extra-soft, soft, and firm varieties. I used soft, which was OK, but would likely use firm if I was to do it again.

1/16" thick is used for the base (on right). 1/8" thick (on left) is used for the center. Cut out a piece of the thick material to match the thick part of original gasket, then spray glue on the back of it and slap it down onto an oversized chunk of the thin. Once the glue is dried, trim the thin piece so it's exactly 1/8" larger than the thick center on all sides. Doing it this way avoids precision placement during gluing.

Here's a tip: to cut rounded corners, use a small washer that matches up to the radius desired. Press it down firmly, and trim with a sharp X-acto knife.

Did you notice the blue painter's tape? I use tape to allow me to draw guide lines and it makes for better cuts. Don't do what I did and use the blue stuff on this gasket material though. It sticks way too well and you can easily ruin your new gasket as you try to remove it.

Here are the two layers glued together and trimmed:

After the trouble with the blue tape, I switched to low-adhesive painters tape which 3M and Ace Hardware brands make in a lovely shade of violet. Rolling Eyes Although I'm showing it next to the old gasket, all measurements were taken from the box itself. Holes were located and punched through before doing any more cutting.

The center now cut out, the gasket is ready to use.

My god ... it fits. Shocked

Put that baby on
Box wired, screwed down. No longer on the shelf! Very Happy

One less hole in the side of the Westy Exclamation Exclamation

Could finally move on to making the long wall panel that sits in back of the fridge and stove/sink ...

Last edited by eche_bus on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat prop Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi Eche
What does the prop circled in red catch on? I have the prop rod, but I do not see what it would locate under to hold the seat up.
Thank You
Tcash

There is a short black bumper that goes under one of the (right side of bus) hinge mounting screws.

I'm fairly convinced the bumper is unique to this location, as it is shorter than those used at the rear of the seat (table holddown), popup hinge area, sink water container area, and deluxe stool/bucket box. Perhaps it is common with something from an earlier model?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was stumped. Mine is missing all together.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Long LH Wall Panel Fabrication and Refrigerator Install Reply with quote

Long LH Wall Panel Fabrication and Refrigerator Install

Background
That set of woodgrain wall panels I bought from NLAVW went in pretty well, and sure looked nice, but when it came to the real long one that runs along the left wall, I ran into some real trouble.

The OG panel is a whoppin' 73 1/16" long, and so in order to fit onto their laminate sheets and make shipping viable, NLAVW's set cuts this into two shorter sections. Right out of the box, I noticed a slight curl to one of these sections, and was worried this would complicate joining the seam, unfortunately located in a too-visible spot right over the fridge. My worried were well-founded, as despite a good storage environment, the section curled more and more. There was no longer any way to join the two sections, let alone install the curled one.

NLAVW took full responsibility for the problem, offering to send replacements. I suggested that better results could be had by sending me just a sheet of their laminate; I would cut my own plywood backing, and could then relocate the laminate seam to a much less visible spot behind the sink/stove cabinet, and that's just what they did! Very Happy

Plywood
The plywood backing I used is good 'ol 3mm Baltic Birch. This usually comes in 5' x 5' sheets, but as this wall panel is over 6 feet long, couldn't avoid making it from two pieces. After a review of cutouts and mounting screw locations, I decided to make the plywood sections 40 and 34 3/16" long. The laminate sheet, 48" wide, would then bridge and cover the plywood joint with a solid span of material.

After tracing the old panel (and reinterpreting some of the warped original dimensions), the new panel sections were cut with a jigsaw and sanded. Because of the overall length, much care was taken to ensure things followed the original contours very closely and the section joint true and square.

The moment of truth - laying old over new. Everything lined up great! The blue tape on the left locates the plywood seam and the one to right marks where the laminate pieces will join.

After making real sure they were properly lined up, the two sections were joined temporarily with some gaffers tape to keep them together during laminate gluing.

Laminate
Let the gluing begin! Here we're just using a couple of pieces of wood to make sure the first laminate section joint edge is square with the top edge of the plywood. Didn't want the wood grain looking skewed! The laminate, free to slide over the dowels, was butted up against one board, then pressed down from right to left, removing dowels as we went. Once in place, it was rolled firmly to ensure proper adhesion.

Once the second laminate section was glued down, it was allowed to dry for a day or two before the (tedious) process of routing it to the plywood's contours.

As the plywood was so thin, I couldn't use the follower bit in my laminate router so had to resort to doing it by hand using a Dremel router attachment. To prevent damage to the plywood, I had to keep it away from the edge, requiring extensive use of a laminate file (yellow handle, seen above) to remove the excess. This special file (Plasti-Cut 5912) works remarkably and precisely well. Still, nervous and tedious work considering the laminate came all the way from the UK!

The end result was very good, and you can barely see the joint between the two sections of laminate! Very Happy Hint: It's about 2/3 of the way to the right between the control panel and sink pipe cutouts

Final details
After so much work to make this panel, I wasn't about to see it warp again. Last step was to seal it with 3 coats of Wipe-on Poly Varnish.

Once all the panel's mounting holes were located and drilled, the ashtray housing was cleaned, repainted, and installed. It's held in place by bent over tabs.

Installation
After much study and deliberation, I decided to remove the moisture barrier. Putting in the furniture would commit me to a decision and the risk of trapped moisture due to an imperfect seal was too much.

I have to admit, I was really sweating the panel installation, worried over whether such a long panel with so many mounting holes would line up properly with the original holes in the wall. 3 around the control panel, 5 along the lower edge and 1 at the top right corner, all located from a warped, weathered original ... I just kept waiting for that one that would be trouble. But ... everything lined up great! Dancing

The black you see behind the control panel hole is black cloth tape attached to the outside wall. When I first removed the control panel, that is what I found inside, so that's what I put back. Only thing I can figure is that is served as some sort of electrical insulation for the exposed terminals on the panel.

Look good enough for ya? Razz

Refrigerator
The restored fridge has sat quietly in the basement shop, waiting and waiting for this moment. After carefully sliding it in place, tipping up and over the cables, and plugging its connector in, it was attached with a bolt, washer, and two screws. Home again, at last! Very Happy Very Happy

What about that big decal between the control panel and ash tray though? Whoever made the one sold by most VW part retailers must have been blind. The OG one is on the left, crap repro on the right. Why is it so friggin' hard for the VW community to make accurate reproductions? Twisted Evil I'll make my own, and will make it available to others here soon.

Still, can't be too bothered by a stupid decal. This son-of-a-gun is coming together. Here's the new view from the front seat!

What's next?
Working on carpet/heat vent/sliding door floor trim, fridge power control panel. Need a break before jumping into the sink/stove overhaul.

Last edited by eche_bus on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickin butt! Easily one of the most detailed buses on the samba. Easily. Right up and past skills and curtis....your KILLING It. And its tough to beat those two, as they do astounding jobs themselves! Way to go!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed again, nice work!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn eche! I never want to park next to you! Very Happy

Great work and attention to detail. And thanks for documenting!
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Very Happy

I figure it this way: the interior is the part of the camper you see the most and spend the most time with up close and personal. To me, restoration means to bring back to like original condition, and that's what drives me. That said, you've seen I've had to make concessions here and there, due to limits in means and available parts. That's going to leave me near-term with a camper with a beautiful interior, a shiny but multi-flawed exterior, and a list of mechanical issues which have been waiting for this inside work to complete. If there's a "Phase II" down the road, it'll be to pull it all back apart and give it the paint and bodywork it deserves.

Stuartzickefoose - I really appreciate the compliment, but skills and curtis have many, many areas where they've shined. I believe I've nailed the furniture pretty well, though! Wink
NLAVWParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we got you sorted out and I'm sorry you ran into the problems. Embarassed

We will take a close look at this piece and see what can be done to make a less visible join and we will look into the warping issue to see what we can do to eliminate this, thanks yet again for your feedback Cool
NLAVWParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually are making an "H" shaped black plastic panel joining trim as used on original westfalias to cover the seam of 2 wooden panel joints. They will be ready later this year and it will solve this problem. With the "H" jointing trim to cover the edges, no one will see the panel joining seam anymore and it should replicate what left the Westfalia works Cool

I am not totally sure if the left hand drive interior had this originally but we will investigate as the RHD version had this piece on the joint here
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:

Stuartzickefoose - I really appreciate the compliment, but skills and curtis have many, many areas where they've shined. I believe I've nailed the furniture pretty well, though! Wink

Agreed!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NLAVWParts wrote:
We actually are making an "H" shaped black plastic panel joining trim as used on original westfalias to cover the seam of 2 wooden panel joints. They will be ready later this year and it will solve this problem. With the "H" jointing trim to cover the edges, no one will see the panel joining seam anymore and it should replicate what left the Westfalia works Cool

I am not totally sure if the left hand drive interior had this originally but we will investigate as the RHD version had this piece on the joint here

The OG left panel in the left hand drive interior does not have a seam. It is one long piece of woodgrain-covered plywood. There is no black "H" trim used. Please look at the original panel shown in my photos above (disregard blue tape - it's not covering a seam) and you will see this. I'm curious as to the reason for the difference between RHD and LHD applications though!
NLAVWParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd isn't it, you now have me intrigued so I will be investigating this at all the shows over here Cool
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could that be another one of those deluxe only things? My 79 does have a H channel. It is located right around where the power panel would be if it was a deluxe (which it isn't). Or maybe they ran out of really big pieces of wood between 76 and 79 Confused
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some digging in the photo gallery over at http://www.john-perry.com/vw/gallery.html and it seems like the split + vertical black joint trim was likely introduced in the '78 model year. It didn't make any difference whether P22 or P27, all the Westys from 78 and 79 showed the split/trim. None of the '76 or '77s there had the split/trim, but I also only found one '77 to look at.

So, I'll retract what I said about all late Westys having one long continuous wall panel. Seems I was only half wrong though. Wink
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning! Great work *wipes drool off side of mouth*
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Thanks, guys. Very Happy

I figure it this way: the interior is the part of the camper you see the most and spend the most time with up close and personal. To me, restoration means to bring back to like original condition, and that's what drives me.

Wow, that was quite a read, these last twenty pages.

Did you ever get the brake warning light situation resolved?

I resolved mine via the following (halfway down the thread):

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8945#p160748

It is still looking fine.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 37

Jump to: