Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your Favorite VW Shows
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Your Favorite VW Shows Reply with quote

In an effort to help provide some type3 excitement during the time of year when alot of folks are putting away their rides for the winter, I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on the best VW show you've ever been to. This isn't a contest, just curious to see if there are some legendary shows out there worth long-hauling to. So here are some notable shows I've been to:

Best Setting:

There were a couple years in '09 and '10 where they had a VW show on the lawn at the Point Fermin Lighthouse in San Pedro California. It certainly wasn't the biggest show I've been to, but to be on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean on a sunny day was amazing. Plus, the Korean Peace Bell is within walking distance, which is kinda cool. Alot of quality cars at this show.

Show I've always wanted to go to:

For me, the Hessisch Oldendorf VW show would be the ultimate ( http://www.uraltkaefer.de/ ). For those who don't know, this show is probably the largest in the world at over 1400 ACVW's. The cool factor is that the entire town is off-limit to anything but classic VW's for the duration of the show. I heard that the only vehicles allowed used to be '67 or earlier type 1's, 2's, and KG's (including the type 34). I'm not sure if standard type 3's are officially allowed nowadays, but I've seen a few in the show videos. Anyways, I just thought that a show in a quaint old German town with a ton of VW's would be rad. Check out these vids... the amount of split window bugs is staggering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZFSpNm-GH8 (this one shows the drive into the town, which really shows the size of it. There are a few shots that show some reeeallly nice T34's.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIgg31I5dx0

(even though non-ghia type 3's aren't allowed according to their website, I see them at 1:20 and 1:3Cool

The Biggest Show I've been to:

I'm lucky to live in SoCal, where there's probably the biggest concentration of ACVW's in north america. So, the biggest I've been to is the Classic. Even though the Hessisch Oldendorf claims to be the biggest in the world, the Classic can't be too far behind. Add the ISP BBQ he day before and the sunrise cruise to the show, and this has to be my favorite VW event that I've been to.

The show I'm looking forward to most this year:

This is probably a tie between the Classic and my first Syncro-de-Mayo. Even though I don't have a syncro, I hear that they have easier trails for the 2WD vanagons. To have a caravan through the wilderness and then camp at the end of it sounds great!

I'll add some pictures later. What are everyone else's favorite shows?
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good time at the Malvern, England Vanfest. Over 3000 pre-registered VWs, mostly buses. Great people during a difficult time for a US citizen, a week after 9/11. Definitely the biggest Type 2 oriented event I've ever been too.

In Aug. 2011 I attended a great show on Governor's Island, NYC. Not a big show, but a great spectator event and a superb location with lots of other stuff going on at the same time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They didn't have it this year due to renovations to the island, but I'm looking forward to returning next year.

Later in the day was the best part.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709

Last edited by Stanagon on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East coast......Flanders. (All Air Cooled Gathering).

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dough Wink
mranker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look forward to Meet in the Middle near Solvang. Its a beautiful spot, the host club does a great job, and the cruise up the coast from Ventura is just awesome.
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the last Meet-in-the-Middle and I had a great time. Definitely a fun show and Cruise. If you want a similar cruise experience on the way to the classic this year, you should join the Cruise to the Classic that the type 3 guys organize. Since there are so many VW's headed down to the classic that morning anyways, everyone (bugs, busses, anyone) heading down there just falls in-line with the cruise and it gets pretty big. It's pretty cool because it's typically around sunrise too.
uiterwyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Air-Cooled Gathering, Flanders NJ in September.

I have done VW shows from Florida to Maine.

Manassas Bugout, Pasco Bug Jam, and No Dough are all good big shows, but they are mixed class parking.

Litchfield and Terryville are class parked shows, but they have lots of WaterCooled as well and are not as big.

All Air-Cooled Gathering in Flanders, NJ with its venue at the Sports Club, great camping, Saturday night Band, Class parked show, etc is just THE BEST.

Last edited by uiterwyk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
llovette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flanders is the best!! Agreed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bout adout it Flanders!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llovette wrote:
Flanders is the best!! Agreed
X2
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hessisch Oldendorf, hands down.

(there are other shows? )

Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flanders and Dripfest

I actually have a lot of fun going to local shows and being the only VW. You hear the most random stories from "Yeah I brought home my daughter from the hospital in shoe box behind the front seat", or "Thats a mid engine right?". Laughing

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulli Brigade
Charlotte Transporter Show
Tannehill Bug Blast (my local show)
The one time I've made it out to OCTO and the Classic was incredible.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
salty dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say one of our favorite Events is Buses by the Bridge in Lake Havasu, Arizona in January. We have attended almost every one of the Events. Also the Yuma VW show in Yuma, Arizona. Can't forget the OCTO meets and the ever popular Classic in California.

67 Fastback RIP 3-1-11
62 Panel/Sub-Hatch/Camper
69 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty dog wrote:
I would have to say one of our favorite Events is Buses by the Bridge in Lake Havasu, Arizona in January. We have attended almost every one of the Events. Also the Yuma VW show in Yuma, Arizona. Can't forget the OCTO meets and the ever popular Classic in California.

All that and VTO's "Blackstar". Not a "show" but a camp out surrounded by all the happenings connected with SoCal's VW Classic Week(end). Some folks just bypass all the other hoopla and spend three or four days right there.

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: