Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A little Eurovan building.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boof1306 wrote:

Looks like you need some sheep! Poor little fella is bored.

Yeah, not really sure what happened that day. He and my other dog are with me 100% of the time. The only exception is an hour or two at a time when I'm in a place they can't go. (Like the zoo)

But that is usually when they are just sleeping anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be spring time and everyone is working on their cars. Laughing I've had a bunch of recent questions about how the cam adjusters come out of the VR6. Mainly because when you take the screws out they don't just fall out like you might expect. You guys remember right? That issue that was really the problem that was causing my timing issues and not the chain and guides.

Anyway. I shot a super quick video on how they come out since it is a popular question. Maybe this will help others.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may remember from earlier in the thread that I spend a day helping a nice lady and her family last year install the entire interior in here Eurovan. She kinda got robbed on a van that had a gutted interior. I gave her a ton of the spares I had (sold her some seats reasonably) and spent about 10 hours helping install it.

Well, I talked to her earlier this week and guess what she had laying around? A Weekender rear seat to match my van. She gave it to me with the matching rear cushion for the help last year. We talked a bit and I told her I could help work out some other issues with her van when she is ready. ( a few more interior bits to sort out) I hope we can make that van right for her family.

So I can take my time again and source the fabrics for the upholstery project later.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deeds and good karma - nice!
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Petris"

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I stumbled on this on craigslist.

http://www.soundproofcow.com/Quiet-Batt-30-Soundproofing-Insulation.html

80% recycled sound proofing/insulation material that was new leftovers from a shooting range build.

I got 5 giant boxes of the stuff for about 35% of the new cost.

My Sprinter desperately needs insulation to keep the heat down in summer and cold out in winter. (And its noisy). By my math here I should have enough of this stuff to do the Eurovan too!!! Score!!

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about 50% of the Sprinter insulated with this stuff and have realized I have way more than enough to do the Eurovan too. So I cracked it open to do some panels.

My hope is that it will knock down some road noise and retain heat/cold better, which means the heat & AC don't have to be run as hard, which will all make conversation and the radio better. Plus more comfortable camping.

This stuff is very similar to the factory stuff that is behind every panel on the van already. Just thicker and a touch more dense. It should still breath well so that it dries vs trapping moisture. (Shouldn't be an issue here in the high desert anyway). One of the boxes was wet when I got it from sitting in the rain and the insulation was dry to the touch. It wasn't absorbing the moisture anyway.

Here is a picture of the inside of the rear hatch panel as an example.

Note the giant open empty spaces!

Rear hatch stuffed with sound insulation. Amazing the thud the panels make when filled with this stuff. Seems to work very well.

So far all I've done is the slider and rear hatch and there is a notable difference in noise and temperature.
Carl Kwasnjuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: 2003 Eurovan Alternator D-Plug splice to rectangular?? Reply with quote

I have been having a heck of a time finding an alternator for my 2003 Eurovan. I found a refurbished 150amp alternator at Autozone and went to install but the plug on the regulator is rectangular. My Eurovan plug is that D-shaped one. If I can get a plug from a VW in a wrecking yard can someone give me detailed instructions on cutting off my D-shaped plug and splicing in the more common rectangular plug? Pretty Please??

[email protected]
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your other posts. I would just be guessing that the lead goes on the same side for both plugs. But totally a guess.

I'm fairly sure that you won't hurt anything with it plugged into the wrong side. It just won't charge.
Carl Kwasnjuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: 2003 Eurovan Alternator D-Plug splice to rectangular?? Reply with quote

Thank you Xtremjeepn! I just want to be sure that this also is the correct alternator.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan Alternator D-Plug splice to rectangular?? Reply with quote

Carl Kwasnjuk wrote:
Thank you Xtremjeepn! I just want to be sure that this also is the correct alternator.

I'm "fairly sure" they are just a different style plug from everything I've read. Should fit and work fine.

Shouldn't be much more than 20min of work to swap the plug and put on the new alternator. Good luck.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update.

I finally had to add a new battery to the van today. Other than that it has been fairly flawless. Just change the oil and enjoy. Speaking of which, I just changed it again today with Mobile one at just over 172,000! So that is roughly 20k on the new engine:thumbup:

While I was in there I figured I'd take a quick picture of this hose that slips off the end of the valve cover. Seems it gets a touch of oil in it and doesn't stay connected very well. This has been the source of the infamous vacuum leak that creates a lag, poor idle, hard brakes, etc. Its most noticeable right after start up.

I know many people have experienced this issue so maybe this will help!

I cleaned all the oil out of the hose connection and coated it with a sticky aircraft gasket sealer. I'm sure that even using hairspray to add some stick to the rubber connection would help.

This is the drivers side of the valve cover.

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it makes me sad to say this but the van has been sold.

I decided that it would be worth the most at its peak with the new engine so put it up for sale......obviously I did not ask enough since the deal was done within about an hour of my listing it for sale.

The van isn't perfect but is probably one of the best you can get at the moment.

As part of the deal I agreed to do a bunch of work to make it the ideal van for its new family.

Since I never swapped the top fabric and it still has the original fabric from the 1993 I included a new top installed of the buyers choice for a full price offer. So I will be putting a new grey 3 window cotton top on it!

I also never settled on the tire/shock issue. Part of me wanted to lift the van, part of me wanted to lower it. Either way, it needed shocks at 173k miles. So the new owner chose to lift it slightly. So I will be lifting it up a bit, installing HD bilstiens and new snow tires on the original 16" wheels.

While I'm in there all new pads and rotors, tie rods and ball joints are going on. The van didn't need it, but for a premium price that are going to get a premium van! Best to start with as much new hardware as possible. This van is going to a family with 3 kids so it should start on the safest platform possible!

I'm going to put a Pioneer bluetooth stereo with satelite radio in.

The cool part is we are going to do what I've always wanted to do and ditch the dull automotive grey wood panels. I've got a friend that does wood woofing and we are going to make alder panels for every board in the van!

The new owner also wants an awning so she is having one shipped to me and I agreed to install it for her.

She is going to pick up the van in early November. I will post pictures of all the remaining work!

.......and on a slightly lunatic note! I Accidently bought another 1993 Poptop donor van last night on ebay! Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it. My wife liked our black van but has always preferred the blue ones! So maybe I will find a good blue one to build, maybe it will get a diesel this time! Or.....if anyone wants one I'd be happy to build one for you for the right price Wink

Last edited by Xtremjeepn on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on cleaning up a few things for the new owner.

Today was this silly broken shift trim. It's broken on nearly every Eurovan I see. My toddler broke it off on mine.

I took the broken piece out and went into a plastic supply place to see if they had anything like it. The guy said "no".

That's when I asked about this big black sheet of plastic that was laying there. It's jsut slightly thinner and not as brittle as the stuff the van came with.

He laughed and said "that's just the box liner for the acrylic!" I replied...."how much?" He laughed again and gave it to me! Score!

Works better than stock!

fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listed and sold,just like that, huh? Cool you're selling to an enthusiastic new owner. You built a nice EV. Looking forward to the next van project.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't leave us. Maybe find a westy or syncro? Smile
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
Hope you don't leave us. Maybe find a westy or syncro? Smile

I'm not going anywhere. I love projects too much Wink ......and there are no greater projects than VW vans Laughing

Did I mention that I already bought another Poptop donor van Twisted Evil
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up -> Tdi 4Motion Eurovan

Do it!! (So I can see how it's done, and then I can do it Razz )

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
Next up -> Tdi 4Motion Eurovan

Do it!! (So I can see how it's done, and then I can do it Razz )

Twisted Evil Like the way you think!

Parts! This is only part of what I need but it's a good start for the new owner! Now I need to get to work!

I also used ths as an excuse to buy a blast cabinet for the garage! The stock wheels had some surface corrosion that I wanted to clean up and refinish to mount these new tires on! You can see a stock wheel sitting there on the ground after blasting the center area of it.

njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can point you in the direction of the syncro parts...! I wanted to do that to mine but time and money weren't lining up...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: