Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 66 Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did get it all together for the show. I ended up trailering it to and from the show because I had basically 0 miles on it. It has some carb tuning issues and it was running too warm for my liking on the cruise, but I am glad to finally be able to drive it. (My wife is glad it is "done" too).
"The trailer queen"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I've seen that sticker in your rear window! Was that on the car when you bought it? Or are you an old member? Car looks awesome!
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car was out of Reno, NV. It was actually from my daughter's car when we bought it in American Fork. I thought it was cool so I kept it for mine. Priveledge of paying the bills and doing the work Smile
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would give and update and a couple of things I learned. First, at least on a ball joint beam, the 17X7 BRM do not work very well on the front. The turning radius sucks. The inside of the wheel hits the lower torsion arm when turning. I have 1/4" spacers to try and help. I am looking into disc brakes to help push out some more. (The wheels look cool though Cool ). Even with the vents in the decklid I was running too hot. I finally removed the decklid so I can drive it and tune. I will try and chronicle my solutions. I have a couple of ideas, because I don't want to resort to stand offs. I developed an ignition miss at lower RPM's. I pulled all the plugs to look and could see nothing wrong. I decided at that time to get rid of the Spiral Pro wires. I think there seal instead of the flapper for sealing at the tin is a good idea, but a total pain in the a$$ in the real world. It also fixed my misfire Very Happy . The 2275 runs well and is fun to drive everyday.
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally installed the radio I got for Fathers Day.

I thought about installing the rear speakers under the package tray to hide them, but decided it was not practical to lower the rear seat everytime I wanted to listen to the radio.

The front speakers are waiting on me to make the mounts. I know they sell them, but part of my idea for this project was to see what I can do instead of buy. Ok I am cheap Embarassed
The funny thing is I haven't been listening to the radio, because I like the sound of the engine more. Very Happy
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally decided I could no longer live with the terrible turning radius brought on by the offset of the 17x7 wheels. My crew cab, long bed f-350 has a better turning radius. The wheels hit the sway bar/lower torsion arm. I was already running 1/4"spacers to help push them out.
I decided I would install CB's disc brake kit to push them out further. I really didn't see any issue with the drums, but I had to do something and I didn't want to run a ton of spacers.
Where the rim was rubbing

Out with the old

In with the new

As far as I got last night. I forgot to bring home my race driver and bearing packer from work.
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been driving my bug everyday now. It has been a blast. 23-25MPG pretty much all around town, so I can;t complain. I am interested to see what it will get on a long freeway cruise. I finally got the carbs jetted correctly with my wideband. Thanks to John @ aircooled. He has been very helpful in this process. I have been fighting oil temp getting hot, so I bought a Derale atomic cool cooler. It took some figuring to get it mounted up above the trans but I finally did get it to fit. I had to order some 90 AN fitting to make the bend and I am waiting on them to show up.

RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd66 wrote:
Old shroud and flaps

After install

Now just needs paint.

I would have left these flaps off but since you already have them in, make sure they are completely open. A buddy of mine couldn't figure out why his engine ran so hot and turns out the PO had installed these flaps as well. He manually wired them open and never had a heating issue again.

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: