Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank fabraction dreaming
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank fabraction dreaming Reply with quote

So my wondering mind has stumbled on a question for you fellow vanagon people. Are there any alternatives for placement of a fuel tank in a Synco? Let’s say you disregard the keeping it 100% original idea, and when to town on a full tilt fabrication kick. Where could you place a tank that is custom made?

My first thought was the sides of the frame in between the front and rear wheels. (The area where the propane usually sits) Could you have two tanks running down the sides hooked together? How would a fuel sending unit work in this configuration?

Any ideas?
Popcorn
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ocean:

I few people have made aluminum auxiliary tanks for their syncros, including Alaric. Would you keep the stock tank as well or try to replace it altogether?

Check the search.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of replacing and turning the stock location into storage for house batteries.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this a few times, even had one of our local offroad fab shops "Carnage offroad" Very Happy take a look at it.
They build nice aluminum multi tank systems for extended offroad touring,
...in big #" gas-guzzler jeeps.
They concluded...
Its totally possible to add tanks and armor under the center of the van, but the concensus is that this is very vunerable to damage offroad.
These, mostly jeep and Toy guys concluded that VW put the tank in a really good place...although they're all sure the engine is Wrong Rolling Eyes
So any good fab shop can do it for you ...does it suit your needs
R39o will call this BS. Rolling Eyes
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure up where you want the tank to fit---
Nothing really has to be fabricated.
Fuel cells of all sizes are available in all kinds of places---
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank fabraction dreaming Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
So my wondering mind has stumbled on a question for you fellow vanagon people. Are there any alternatives for placement of a fuel tank in a Synco? Let’s say you disregard the keeping it 100% original idea, and when to town on a full tilt fabrication kick. Where could you place a tank that is custom made?

My first thought was the sides of the frame in between the front and rear wheels. (The area where the propane usually sits) Could you have two tanks running down the sides hooked together? How would a fuel sending unit work in this configuration?

Any ideas?
Popcorn

Side tanks made of stainless steel have been around more than 12 years in South Africa. The first group purchase I was aware of was in 2001. Price then was $179 IIRC. The supplier disappeared for nearly a decade. Last year a fellow called Ian offered to design similar tanks. He's an engineer for the outfit who builds Cobra roadsters licensed my Shelby. They also build the continuation series GT-40. Guess what? The GT-40 tank they build for road cars. After some work in his cad program, Ian had tanks made in three formats. One was similar to the original SA tanks which were essentially coffin shaped to make them able to fit either side of the frame rails except on those equipped with propane tanks such as campers. The second is notched only on one side so the filler pipe can be relocated. The original tanks required cutting a hole on the outrigger which eliminated the hidden VIN. The third type is similar to #2 but with a slopped bottom for additional fuel carrying capacity.

Average cost was $500 FOB Irvine, California. I couldn't find a domestic vendor willing to build them at that price. These are fully baffled tanks which came with mounting hardware. The last tank arrived last week. It happens to be mine. I asked Ian if he could do another run. He said no problem. The only issue would be shipping. There were some unexpected snags when he shipped them through Superformance (Cobras). Problem was Superformance was shipping them for free. When a customs clearance fee came up unexpectedly, Superformance was not exactly happy. The problem was sorted after Ian paid the fees. But for future shipments, he wasn's certain he wanted to continue to burden these other guys. Especially when some of the people going to fetch their tanks in person created some misunderstandings.

Anyway, if you can build them for less than $500, that's great. Many of us do not have the skill set or tools to accomplish
such a feat.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock tank in a Syncro uses space super efficiently. That whole awkward space gets filled up with fluid.

Why not put the house batteries under the van?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517462
http://peacevans.com/pv-battery-tray.html

If not this kit, then maybe a giant deep cycle up where the spare used to go?

Last edited by noganav on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny,

If the tanks are coming from SA, the shipping will be really crazy.

I quoted a guy in Aus.for a set of split coolant pipes--they could only go Fed-Ex or UPS--too big for the PO to ship.

It was like $300.00 and some change--really nuts.

I know SA isn't Aus., but it sure is close enough that I think the shipping would be expensive.

Think non-imported fuel cells.
Bottom line might be more reasonable--plus self sealing if you want.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Benny,

Well Terrence, that's the beauty of Ian's deal. Shipping was included. Besides customs fees, it was essentially free. I just hope he can keep that arrangement.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]The stock tank in a Syncro uses space super efficiently. That whole awkward space gets filled up with fluid.
Why not put the house batteries under the van?]

I’m leaning in that direction. It seems like the easiest and best option
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go the Syncro fuel tank route, note that you'll need to lower the engine & Trans about 2" to accomodate the tank..

there is a thread where people have sunk a battery box up over the transmission w/o messing with the oem 2wd location.
one could take this idea to the floor just inside the sliding door with a cut out and drop in from above battery box.. would make service much more pleasant, but needs to be a nice sealed job of course..

for shipping overseas.. check out SHIPNEX who nearly cut the shipping costs in half for a Split bus circus tent to UK. they subcontract from DHL who gave me the bigger quote.. so I dunno.. but worth a mention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is starting with a Syncro, and asking about deleting the stock tank.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
Benny,

Well Terrence, that's the beauty of Ian's deal. Shipping was included. Besides customs fees, it was essentially free. I just hope he can keep that arrangement.

Business wise the math doesn't work out.
Sounds like a losing proposition for Ian.

Baffled auxiliary tanks are available here in the US.

There is / was and brand new one in the classifieds for $275 in SoCal.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Business wise the math doesn't work out.
Sounds like a losing proposition for Ian.

Baffled auxiliary tanks are available here in the US.

There is / was and brand new one in the classifieds for $275 in SoCal.

You might ask the Seller if that has ever been installed. You appear to be comparing apples to oranges (or android as the case may be). See pics below for proof. In the second place, you are referring to a single tank for sale not a 'supply of new tanks'. Sure, baffled tanks are available in the US. But are they priced competively to the SA stainless steel tanks? Since you are in the business of working on Syncros, perhaps you should find us a domestic manufacturer who can make tanks comparable to the Ian's stainless steel tanks. Wink

By the way Ian's tanks are available in 12.3, 12.5, 15+ gallons. The one you mentioned holds around 10 gallons.

SoCal tank
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ian's tanks

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classifieds tank is just one example....I have no interest in it.

Alaric's tanks are US made and $400.

Ian's tanks are beautiful, but, as I have shipped from SA before, doubt you will be able to offer them at $400 shipped, from SA and than, shipped to the buyer in the States.

FYI, if you are offering these tanks as a group buy or trying to scrounge up more buyers for them, the classifieds is where to do so.
Any for sale and commercial posts to Samba forums threads is not allowed and will be removed.
I know as I have just spoken to the MODs and owner about this in length recently.

Place a classifieds ad and reference away Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
Since you are in the business of working on Syncros, perhaps you should find us a domestic manufacturer who can make tanks comparable to the Ian's stainless steel tanks. Wink

Been done.
I have no interest in selling my direct replacement Syncro fuel cell and auxiliary cells as plans or complete units Exclamation
The amount of tire kicking and ridiculous comments about the base price for each cell and the pricing schedule for changes each interested party wanted to the original cell plan has me extremely happy with my cells and would love to see "others" do it for less.
I am using one of the best custom fuel cell fabricators in the US for mine.

These ain't no fuel tank....these are fuel cells Exclamation

Anyone interested in direct replacement Syncro tanks/cells Question Question Question
It is extremely easy to get what you want.
Take a Syncro tank to a fabricator, know exactly what changes you want to the original size, have all measurements of the area to which it can fit, have all of your emissions, venting, filling and connections to auxiliary tanks well thought out and pay the fabricator to build you a model.
Test fit the model in a Syncro.
Make revisions if necessary.
Go to production.
Pay the fabricator.
Enjoy your van and smile each time you fill up Wink
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
The classifieds tank is just one example....I have no interest in it.

Alaric's tanks are US made and $400.

Ian's tanks are beautiful, but, as I have shipped from SA before, doubt you will be able to offer them at $400 shipped, from SA and than, shipped to the buyer in the States.

FYI, if you are offering these tanks as a group buy or trying to scrounge up more buyers for them, the classifieds is where to do so.
Any for sale and commercial posts to Samba forums threads is not allowed and will be removed.
I know as I have just spoken to the MODs and owner about this in length recently.

Place a classifieds ad and reference away Wink

In case, you didn't notice, I made no mention whatsoever about Ian's company or contact info nor did I offer any tanks for sale. His info was intentionally deleted from the photos but mentioned his name to credit him for his intellectual property. I am NOT in the business of selling tanks NOR am I even in the automotive business. Superformance is NOT the vendor but simply provided FREE shipping for our group purchase. Rolling Eyes

I give my advice freely without compensation. I have found that most people are on forums such as the Samba do not have a business "angle". We are mostly enthusiasts helping fellow enthusiasts. 'Ocean' can get specifications for the SA tanks FREE. My intention on posting on his thread is to give him ideas to either build his tank or buy somewhere.

I have never seen Alaric advertise tanks. But I have seen pics. It appears his tanks are aluminum. Are you suggesting the Santa Barbara tank was made by Alaric? Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, that classifieds tank seems to be a one off.
I haven't explored it at all.
I know a few with Alaric's tank and they like them.

Anyone interested in info about or to purchase should contact him directly.
He has many threads in these forums and posts often.
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
NO, that classifieds tank seems to be a one off.
I haven't explored it at all.
I know a few with Alaric's tank and they like them.

Anyone interested in info about or to purchase should contact him directly.
He has many threads in these forums and posts often.

So where can we find info on Alarics fuel cell or tank..

Also I have heard but never seen one that the original 2WD SA fuel tanks were 22 gals... Any info or any of them there critters around?
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming sooner or later to FAS -

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories...pyxvny9KSM

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: