Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on the way to ALASKA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the third time I had my engine out, it began to remind me of the Rifleman's Creed lol

"This is my Bus. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bus is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the breaks adjusted by the first ever mechanic that i've seen that has a gun on his hip...Things in Michocan are pretty volatile.

I also bled the brakes at the wheels but it still feels a bit spongy (although better) I did notice that the back pads are pretty warn, maybe they need replacing or maybe the MC has air. Not sure how to bleed it on the car and am for sure not taking that damn thing off again!

There is something else that I need to run by you guys. I've been using a hell of a lot of Gas, like about double. Sure the roads are tough and there are quite a few climbs along this stunning coast road, but there are other clues that all is not right.

The exhaust is black, too black, the power is a little down and there is an occasional backfire when I lift the pedal.

Now I was thinking if there was an air leak somewhere (intake manifold or exhaust) then maybe the O2 sensor is picking up too much air in the mix and telling the computer to send more gas to the injectors. This is my theory anyway, what do you think or is there something else it could be?

Thanks.

Ben

-Still too far south in Mexico
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you TSII sensor is located on your engine, but that would be my first guess as to what is wrong. If the TSII sensor is reporting that your engine is cold all the time, then the ECU will cause the engine to run rich and the O2 sensor will never come on line to lean things out. Once the O2 sensor gets all clogged up it will not work all that well either.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Not sure where you TSII sensor is located on your engine, but that would be my first guess as to what is wrong. If the TSII sensor is reporting that your engine is cold all the time, then the ECU will cause the engine to run rich and the O2 sensor will never come on line to lean things out. Once the O2 sensor gets all clogged up it will not work all that well either.

thanks for the quick reply. The TS sensor is by #4 in the head on this engine. hmmm, I will look into it and give hte 02 sensor a clean, for sure it needs it and I was thinking the same.

Do you think the backfiring is consistent with running rich or might I still have a leak/hole?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man one of those warn tires blew out on the road, a few miles from help so we spent the whole afternoon trying to change it. One of the nuts would just not come off.

We ended up using a chisel and a screw driver and bashing at it for hours, finally we got it off and the tire changed.

I've replaced that stud and nut now and bought 2 news tires, the only things I could find were Goodyear, but they are cargo rated and are a very good tire. $240 though, FML! Walmart only had one tire suitable, I needed a pair.

Also checked the O2 sensor and it wasn't at all dirty, both the 02 sensor and the spark plugs were a pretty healthy brown tan color, in contrast to the exhaust pipe which is sooty. Still only getting about 12.9 mpg though and still hearing backfire, occasionally stalling when hot.

at 12.9 mpg this trip up to America is getting VERY expensive!

what mpg do you get from a 1600 engine?
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I average around 20mpg with my 1600. Have you checked for exhaust leaks. That would lead to backfiring as well as poor fuel economy as the o2 sensor thinks it is running lean and dumps more fuel. Just my .02 pesos
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test the output of the O2 sensor as per the manual. Need to see if it is actually doing what it is supposed to do. The TSII sensor needs to have the correct resistance as well. Don't know how many wires are on your TSII sensor, but if just one ground it to the block and see if that changes how your engine runs. If two short them together and see what happens.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
........at 12.9 mpg this trip up to America is getting VERY expensive!

what mpg do you get from a 1600 engine?

Ben: I get about 25 mpg with my 1600i, yours should be a little less as the bus is heavier, 12.9 is too low.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Test the output of the O2 sensor as per the manual. Need to see if it is actually doing what it is supposed to do. The TSII sensor needs to have the correct resistance as well. Don't know how many wires are on your TSII sensor, but if just one ground it to the block and see if that changes how your engine runs. If two short them together and see what happens.

Hmm, I would like to test the temp sensor and o2 sensor but the manual I have requires a Co2 test sensor which I don't have and can't find here. Anyone know of a way to test the O2 sensor?

If I short together the temp sensor will it damage it?

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Hmm, I would like to test the temp sensor and o2 sensor but the manual I have requires a Co2 test sensor which I don't have and can't find here. Anyone know of a way to test the O2 sensor?

If I short together the temp sensor will it damage it?

Thanks

The O2 sensor puts out a low voltage ~0.5V which you can read with a meter. The sensor has to be hot to work, like 600°F. No voltage hot and running and you know it isn't working.

I have never heard of shorting the TSII sensor hurting anything. Maybe others can comment. You could just put a 20-50 ohm resister across the terminals in the plug if you are worried about it. Not sure where you would come up with such where you are, but its amazing what you can find in some Mexican towns.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, I think you're going off the deep end diagnosing this. Your first idea should be investigated. Check for intake system air leaks. High intake pressure (low vacuum) will cause the system to go rich, and rich mixture with extra air (from an intake leak) will cause backfire on decelleration. I hesitate to say this is the problem, but it's easier to check and more likely than a mysterious electronic glitch. (mi dos centavos).
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avus wrote:
Ben, I think you're going off the deep end diagnosing this. Your first idea should be investigated. Check for intake system air leaks. High intake pressure (low vacuum) will cause the system to go rich, and rich mixture with extra air (from an intake leak) will cause backfire on decelleration. I hesitate to say this is the problem, but it's easier to check and more likely than a mysterious electronic glitch. (mi dos centavos).

This
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure shorting terminals together is good for Digifant or whatever that Mexijection is based on, I know it's OK for D-jet but I'd defer to the experts on the later system before I went and stuck any wires together or grounded anything.
X3 on the vacuum or exhaust leak causing wrong mixture, worth the time to investigate as 8-10 MPG lost will eat up the gas budget in a big hurry on a trip as epic as you have in mind.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm not so sure shorting terminals together is good for Digifant or whatever that Mexijection is based on, I know it's OK for D-jet but I'd defer to the experts on the later system before I went and stuck any wires together or grounded anything.
X3 on the vacuum or exhaust leak causing wrong mixture, worth the time to investigate as 8-10 MPG lost will eat up the gas budget in a big hurry on a trip as epic as you have in mind.

You know I've have checked with Carb cleaner for intake leaks but I can't find any. Is that because there aren't any or because the computer is maintaining the idle and adjusting it automatically so that I can't detect it?

Also I can't find any exhaust holes that would be throwing off the O2 sensor, although it is a little difficult with the fan running to feel for the air. Perhaps I will take the fan belt off and run hot for a minute to check for holes. Confused
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

You know I've have checked with Carb cleaner for intake leaks but I can't find any. Is that because there aren't any or because the computer is maintaining the idle and adjusting it automatically so that I can't detect it?

Also I can't find any exhaust holes that would be throwing off the O2 sensor, although it is a little difficult with the fan running to feel for the air. Perhaps I will take the fan belt off and run hot for a minute to check for holes. Confused

You might try disconnecting the O2 sensor wire connector, then use carb cleaner or propane to check for idle change. First check for me would be the vacuum hose from the base of throttle body to the ecm, Pcm, computer, whatchamaycallit. A leak or blockage in that hose will fool the system rich. You should have strong vacuum at the computer end with engine idling. BTW I'm assuming that this injection is the same as used on Mexican beetles.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: correct me if I am wrong... Reply with quote

I have always checked for air/vac leaks by selectively spraying carb clearner around joints and whatnot.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: correct me if I am wrong... Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
I have always checked for air/vac leaks by selectively spraying carb clearner around joints and whatnot.

It's an effective technique, but if you don't disable the feedback system (O2 sensor) the computer will correct for your added fuel, stabilize the idle, and drive you crazy.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: correct me if I am wrong... Reply with quote

avus wrote:
Jim Bear wrote:

It's an effective technique, but if you don't disable the feedback system (O2 sensor) the computer will correct for your added fuel, stabilize the idle, and drive you crazy.

I think that is where I am at now. I did read on a forum for this type of Mexican beetle engine I have (1600i) that leaving the temp sensor disconnected for more than a minute or so can turn computer into, quote "emergency mode" and then it can't be reset unless you have a scanner. Now I am not sure if there is any truth in that and I don't know it the same will apply to the O2 sensor, but I would like to give it a go tomorrow with the propane tank (carb cleaner is is getting expensive....although it's not like I have to clean many carbs these days ) Smile

Heading north to roughly the bottom of Baja Cali in the next day or so, getting closer. Anyone know any good parts places in San Diego?
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So I checked the exhaust leaks with the fan belt disconnected but couldn't find any.

Also check with propane all intake parts and for blockages in the air pressure hoses and there are no intake leaks!!!

I checked pretty good, and the only place the engine changed pitch was when the propane was fed directly into the air filter.

The O2 sensor has 12vts to it, I am not sure how to test it's accuracy, but strangely I have done this test before, just can't remember exactly how.

The Temp sensor only had 5vts to it, not sure if that is normal.

Not sure what to do next.
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
OK So I checked the exhaust leaks with the fan belt disconnected but couldn't find any.

Also check with propane all intake parts and for blockages in the air pressure hoses and there are no intake leaks!!!

I checked pretty good, and the only place the engine changed pitch was when the propane was fed directly into the air filter.

The O2 sensor has 12vts to it, I am not sure how to test it's accuracy, but strangely I have done this test before, just can't remember exactly how.

The Temp sensor only had 5vts to it, not sure if that is normal.

Not sure what to do next.

I copied this from another VW forum: (http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=823013)

It could be that your bus has gone into the "emergency" or "limp in" mode.

"One thing to try is a basic default reset of the ecu. disconnect the battery then switch the lights on. This will pull all the power stored in the ecu and do a basic reset of the ecu. It resets back to default and as such wipes the ecu of stored codes and should reset it back to factory settings.
Sounds like it has gone into limp mode."

I would make sure that all electrical connectors are connected before doing this. There was another tip on this forum about inspecting the harness connection at the power relay for the ecu, apparently a common problem.

Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 127

Jump to: