Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on the way to ALASKA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Make sure you clean the mating surface for the starter on the new trans.

Good advice, I'd be happy to hear from anyone else that has advice on changing a transmission. It's the only part of the Kombi that I've haven't changed Smile

wbnguyen wrote:
...We left Oregon to retreat to warmer weather ourselves.

That's smart - I'm starting to think that I should have done the same thing. I forgot how miserable the UK in winter can be.

Wildthings wrote:
I think you've got "chilly" spelled wrong on your license plate.

Too funny Laughing
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Brian wrote:

Good advice, I'd be happy to hear from anyone else that has advice on changing a transmission. It's the only part of the Kombi that I've haven't changed Smile

Chad has way too much experience changing out a tranny.... Very Happy

He'll be able to supervise just fine. Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Brian wrote:

Yeah, uhhh, that was me. The starter is the biggest electrical consumer in the entire automotive universe, and it needs a clean ground to function properly. A lot of people make a big deal about the ground strap connection, but fail to realize that the starter has to touch the transaxle too. My Rancho trans build came painted on the flange, so I spent an hour with a broken Dremel and broken buffing wheel, since I didn't think to bring an angle grinder with me when I installed it at a friend's house:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also note that different era VW cases came with different upper left mounting arrangements. There was a D-bolt (like the starter) until the doghouse oil cooler came out, then VW used a pressed-in nut in the case and a long bolt above the clutch cable arm. If you have a doghouse engine case with the pressed-in nut and an early transaxle, you might need to clearence the transaxle to allow a wrench/socket to fit the fastener. I asked Rancho to do it for me, so mine arrived pre-ground and painted all nice.

One issue I had with mine was the clutch release fork. You'll have to match it with your pressure plate and release (throw out) bearing, but be aware that they can bend in shipping. I reused my old one, as I didn't trust the new one after bending it back straight.

One last issue that I'm STILL dealing with is the clutch return spring. The pressure plate does 90% of the pedal action, but the spring on the clutch arm needs to finish the action to get the release bearing to disconnect from the pressure plate. The spring on mine is so weak that I have to pick the pedal up the last 1" of free play with my toes. Annoying as hell, but you have to remove the engine to properly change the spring. I think the cheap paint and prep of the transaxle could also have something to do with why the spring doesn't work properly.

Hope this helps!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

^^^ Are you sure your pedal pivot under the front floor is operating smoothly? I know you have done a ton of stuff to your bus, but things like that can get missed.

Also, about the top left engine bolt behind the clutch arm. Switch to this setup and don't look back...

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ Are you sure your pedal pivot under the front floor is operating smoothly? I know you have done a ton of stuff to your bus, but things like that can get missed.

Greased it in a Taco Shop parking lot exactly two years ago next month. THEN rebuilt it a few months after, properly honing the score marks on the pivot to a beautifully smooth mirror finish. Packed with fresh Molybdenum Disulfide.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7172028#7172028

The arm issue was 100% present with the new transaxle, and not an issue with the 186k mile original. I'll be putting the original spring back on the new transaxle next time the engine is out. EMPI makes new springs, and I'm worried that's what Rancho is using. Shocked

Quote:

Also, about the top left engine bolt behind the clutch arm. Switch to this setup and don't look back...

[img]

Is that a CV bolt? Is there a washer under the head?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
but the spring on the clutch arm needs to finish the action to get the release bearing to disconnect from the pressure plate.

in a perfect world, perhaps the TOB would move back from the PP fingers. 99% of the time it just isn't the case. the TOB can in fact contact the PP with no ill effects. your 1" of freeplay is way too much.

fwiw every new car with a hydraulic clutch has the TOB up against the PP at all times.

adjust the clutch to what it wants/needs. you'll be fine. it's a bearing. it's meant to spin

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

adjust the clutch to what it wants/needs. you'll be fine. it's a bearing. it's meant to spin

I also want my release bearing to last well past my grandkids... I also Do Not Allow any clutch action on the pressure plate (and therefore thrust bearing) during operation. I also slap people on the knee for riding the clutch at a stop. I also am a little off the deep end.

Robbie Wink
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
also slap people on the knee for riding the clutch at a stop.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. If my foot needs to be on the clutch pedal longer than 5-10 seconds, it goes in neutral. I learned this after frying 2 brand new Kennedy pressure plates in 1 month from Chicago traffic.
KEP is garbage for people who drive in those sorts of conditions. Original and new Sachs are the only ones that has kept up with heavy traffic scenarios without giving me a "floating" friction point after.
Now that I only use Sachs, I go easy on the pedal for sake of the bearings.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I also want my release bearing to last well past my grandkids... I also Do Not Allow any clutch action on the pressure plate (and therefore thrust bearing) during operation. I also slap people on the knee for riding the clutch at a stop. I also am a little off the deep end.

Robbie Wink

ok.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Quote:

[img]

Is that a CV bolt? Is there a washer under the head?

Not a CV bolt, just a metric socket head cap screw. (I can't recall the exact thread pitch)

I usually have a washer under the head, it just wasn't in place for the photo op.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Hola Amigos!

I thought you guys might appreciate seeing this before anyone else Very Happy

I just received these pictures down from Chad in Haines, Alaska.

I've got to get up there and sort that mess out soon. Laughing

Chad tells me the moisture traps are doing a good job and that it is fairly dry inside.

Before any of you feel too sorry for me, Kombi Life does sort of balance itself out, from one extreme to the other anyway, highs and lows. take a look at this little montage video of how the year went, minus the epic transmission fail in AK.

Link

Arrow

On a technical note, whilst I have the engine dropped to replace the transmission I think I should address the oil leak from the oil cooler. I have a doghouse cooler I believe.

Are these the right rubber gaskets? [url] http://www.justkampers.com/021-117-151-a-oil-coole...html[/url]

Whilst I am shopping, is there anything else that I should order that must be replaced for a transmission swap?

Thanks guys and happy new year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Hola Amigos!

On a technical note, whilst I have the engine dropped to replace the transmission I think I should address the oil leak from the oil cooler. I have a doghouse cooler I believe.

Are these the right rubber gaskets? http://www.justkampers.com/021-117-151-a-oil-coole...-1983.html

Whilst I am shopping, is there anything else that I should order that must be replaced for a transmission swap?

Thanks guys and happy new year!

Here's a parts list of the oil cooler for the ACD engine, the PN for the seal (item 3) looks to be the same as your link.

Cheers
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

didn't I see that bus for sale some time ago up here on CL?
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
didn't I see that bus for sale some time ago up here on CL?

Laughing not this bus mate, this ones getting given away
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Boys, Can you help me figure out when EXACTLY my Kombi was made?

The VIN is: 9BWZZZ23ZMP-011865

It says 1992 on the registration, but that is from Chile and may not be accurate. Any info much appreciated.

Trying to work out the process of importing it to the US.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

I think it's a 91 according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number
But read the whole thing carefully, I just skimmed over it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Boys, Can you help me figure out when EXACTLY my Kombi was made?

The VIN is: 9BWZZZ23ZMP-011865

It says 1992 on the registration, but that is from Chile and may not be accurate. Any info much appreciated.

Trying to work out the process of importing it to the US.

Here is the secret decoder ring for the VIN:
Position VIN example
1 3 Country indicator (Table 1)
2 V National manufacturer identifier
3 W
4 S Model type/version (Table 2)
5 1 Engine type (Table 3)
6 A Safety system (Table 4)
7 1 Model description (Table 5)
8 B
9 6 Verification digit, code NHTSA
10 2 Model year (Table 6)
11 M Plant of manufacture (Table 7)
12 0
13 0
14 0 Production serial No. (Table 8 )
15 0
16 0
17 1

Table 6 – Model year codes
A = 1980 L = 1990 Y = 2000
B = 1981 M = 1991 1 = 2001
C = 1982 N = 1992 2 = 2002
D = 1983 P = 1993 3 = 2003
E = 1984 R = 1994 4 = 2004
F = 1985 S = 1995 5 = 2005
G = 1986 T = 1996 6 = 2006
H = 1987 V = 1997 7 = 2007
J = 1988 W = 1998 8 = 2008
K = 1989 X = 1999 9 = 2009

Some additional info:
Table 1 – Country indicator
1 = United States
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
4 = United States
5 = United States
6 = Australia
9 = Brazil
A = Africa
W = Germany

Table 7 – Plant of manufacture
A = Ingolstadt, Germany
B = Brussels, Belgium
C = Taipei, Taiwan (1994 )
C = Sao Bernardo do Campo - Plant 4, Brazil
D = Bratislava, Slovakia (1995 )
D = Ipiranga, Brazil (1996 only)
E = Emden, Germany
F = Ipiringa & Resende, Brazil
G = Steyr-Daimler Puch, Graz, Austria ( 1995)
H = Hanover, Germany
J = Jakarta, Indonesia (1998 )
K = Osnabrück/Rheine, Germany (Karmann)
L = Lagos, Nigeria
L = Leipzig, Germany (2001 )
M = Puebla, Mexico
N = Neckarsulm, Germany
P = Anchieta, São Paulo, Brazil
P = Mosel, Germany (1992 )
R = Martorell, Spain (1996 )
R = Resende, Brazil
S = Salzgitter, Germany (1970 1975)
T = Sarajevo, Yugoslavia ( 1994)
T = Taubate, Brazil
T = Kvasiny, Czech Republic (1997 )
U = Uitenhage, South Africa (1998 )
V = Westmoreland, USA ( 1979 1989)
V = Palmela, Portugal (1994 )
W = Wolfsburg, Germany
X = Poznan, Poland (1995 )
Y = Navara/Pamplona, Spain (1986 )

The VIN indicates a '91, as it is just 25 years old you may need a letter from VW stating the exact date of manufacture. The vehicle must be 25 years old to the month to import it to the US. You could import it to Canada, the similar regulation here is 15 years old.

EDIT: The VIN does not contain enough information to determine the exact date of manufacture. In the case of the Mexican Beetle, there is an additional number stamped on the body (near the engine), called the Production Number, that can be decoded to find the exact date of manufacture. There is probably a similar number somewhere on your Kombi. Note that as you are in the 25th year, that number will probably not be good enough. You will probably need official documentation from VW supporting the date.

Some countries base the year on when it was first registered, for example my '96 Mexican Beetle was registered as a '97 when it was in the UK. It was first registered on Feb 2 1997 (in Germany). When I brought the car to Canada, the VIN shows that it is a '96 and it is registered here as a '96.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
I've got a feeling that the P after the M might denote December. Not sure where I read that. On my registration it says 1992.

Trouble is the only place I have a VIN on my Kombi is on the back window, etched into the glass. I and most of the border staff between Chile and Alaska have searched for a proper VIN, and we just can't find it.

I wonder if this will be a problem
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

You might be able to get one made by a metal smith, rivet it on to the dash like the stock one should be.

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Maybe on the side of the frame somewhere?

I know that Parts Obsolete in Mcminnville, OR had an imported T2 that they couldn't find the VIN for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Page 103 of 127

Jump to: