Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help, I'm too stupid to get the oil pan off of a 1Y diesel!
Forum Index -> Vanagon/Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Help, I'm too stupid to get the oil pan off of a 1Y diesel! Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I just this week got a 1Y 1.9NA diesel to replace the now dead 1.6 in my van. The engine I got came out of a Golf 3, and I'm stripping it of all the golf ancillaries so I can put all the vanagon stuff on it. I've removed all of the oil pan bolts, and the oil pan dropped down about 1/2" but it is hung up on something, and I can't get it off. I can see inside the pan a little bit, and I can see that there is a windage tray in the pan. I'm guessing that the oil pump pickup goes down through a hole in the windage tray to get to the bottom of the sump, and this is what is preventing the pan from coming off. I've tried to lever it off with about as much force as I feel is wise, anything more will damage something. I've jiggled the pan every way I can manage, but it's not coming. There must be something I'm not seeing here. Anyone know a trick? By now, it's going through my head that I will not be using this oil pan, or oil pump pickup, so why don't i just rip it the hell off of there, but I'd rather do it the smart guy way. Thanks!
Andrew A. Libby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the windage tray is stuck to the pan. Probably someone glued it on with sealant.
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what it was. I buggered the tray up pretty badly getting it apart, but I wasn't going to use it anyway. Whatever the sealant was, it was some pretty bombproof stuff that shouldn't have been used for this application. On to the next thing…..
Andrew A. Libby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using the windage tray is a really good idea on the vanagon. I believe it helps keep oil in the pan on those extended right turns.
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem to note when using the windage tray on a diesel vanagon, The windage tray is thicker than the stock gasket, so the clearance holes in the bell housing needed to be opened up else the bell housing to oil pan bolts prevent the gasket from sealing.
Brent
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windage tray's integrated gasket is much better than the stock gasket. Mine is on there with no sealant..zero leaks in a decade or so. You should source the later model rubber one piece valve cover gasket too as the cork version will leak. Techtonicstuning ships these with a stud kit.

On a 2liter i4 conversion you should 100% use the windage tray as the 2 liter crank will aerate oil at stock fill level. I confirmed this with an oil pressure gauge, and Frank Grunthaler confirmed it with a borescope on a running engine.
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm mating the trans and engine, I notice a small gap between the bellhousing and the oil pan. Should I loosen my oilpan-to-block bolts before tightening the bellhousing-to-oilpan bolts? Or is something else arwy..
Thanks for any insight
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on whether your engine is in the van or out will determine the proper procedure, but Bentley 17.6 spells it out:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"CAUTION
Oil pan must be flush with end face of engine block. If it protrudes or there is a gap, clutch housing will be stressed and could break."
Gnarlodious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this in the summer and had the same problem. Yes, loosen your allen bolts just so the pan can slide then bolt down the bellhousing to pull the pan flush. After that tighten your pan bolts. This makes an even surface for the pan to contact the bellhousing, aligning it with the rest of the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon/Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: