Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

1987 Vanagon Westfalia, stock powertrain. 2.1 with automatic transmission.

Bentley describes how to identify the transmission, but I cannot see the cast numbers. Transmission currently installed and functioning as a daily driver.

I also find different information on identifying the differential/transaxle. Anyone have some thoughts on how to determine which model of transaxle I have? I seem to have three choices to get confused by... the 087, 010 or 090.

Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tchaad/Lost%20Knowledge/010_troubleshooting_guide.pdf

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought it was the 010, as the late model Baywindows had that series also. I rebuilt an early 003 automatic for my 1973 bus.

Still need to determine the correlation between VIN and chassis number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

The 010 had a long service life in a variety of different VAG products. From what I've been able to gather, the main difference between the AC vans (T2/T3) and WBX vans, is that the former did not have the ports for the coolant heat exchanger built into the nose cone.

y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Thanks. I thought it was the 010, as the late model Baywindows had that series also. I rebuilt an early 003 automatic for my 1973 bus.

Still need to determine the correlation between VIN and chassis number.

VIN and chassis number are the same thing. A unique manufacturer number that identifies your unit.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
...Still need to determine the correlation between VIN and chassis number.

VIN and chassis number are the same thing. A unique manufacturer number that identifies your unit.

Dave

I wish it were that simple. My VIN does not look at all like the chassis number indicated in the guide (..."from chassis number 216-2-000-001")

My VIN, like most of this era, is a mixture of numbers and letters.

Question How do I figure my chassis number from this: WV2ZB0259HH013374

Also, I did read the VIN Decoder thread, but did not see or understand how to determine the chassis number form that. Did I miss something?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

That link is to a 1975 publication..... Late Bay Window Type 2 era.

Basically the Same transmission except for a water based oil cooler added to it.
You won't be finding any Vanagon numbers in there.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tchaad/Lost%20Knowledge/010_troubleshooting_guide.pdf

Hello,

I politely beg to differ with this answer.

"010" describes a transaxle combination (differential and transmission) that was never installed on Vanagons. The 010 turbine shaft fits the 010 differential, and they are in no way compatible with the Vanagon transaxle. No 010 differential was ever installed on a Vanagon.

The same goes for 087 and 089.

For Vanagons with their original automatic transmissions, only the "090" name correctly identifies the transaxle combination. Vanagon 090 transmission ring gears are not found on any other VWs, but have been seen on one or two Audi models. I don't think the 090 turbine shaft is found on any other vehicle except Vanagons. The 090 differential was manufactured exclusively for the Vanagon.

You can study the parts list below for a more academic approach:

http://kourt.dehaas.com/westy/transaxle/diagram.pdf

Also, note that transmission parts resellers define the Vanagon as 090 and set it aside with that name. That's not to say that all 090 parts were originally Vanagon (a rare few Audi parts have the 090 prefix) but pretty much everything you see today that is 090 is Vanagon.

All of these transaxles (010, 087, 089, 090) are all in the same family of transmissions, but the differentials are vastly different to accommodate different models of cars. It's the transmissions that relate them together and allow us to use the 010 troubleshooting guide to analyze the Vanagon 090 transmission...

...but if you want to be specific, Vanagons have an 090 transaxle, and share some of their 090 transmission parts with the 010, 087, and 089 transmissions, but Vanagon transaxles or transmissions are not identified as 010. The differentials from those other transaxles are not compatible with Vanagons.

I hope this helps.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

Dave... that make more sense about the decoding/VIN issue as the chassis numbers specified do match up to the Baywindow.

kourt... thanks, that really does help. I was looking at master rebuild kits, and the exploded parts diagrams I saw showed a different pan for the transaxle/differential side. This led me to confusion, as the application for these kits specified correct application, but I understand now they are referencing more toward the transmission side.

The master rebuild kits contain just the output flange seals and O-rings for the transaxle. No pan gasket or bearings, etc.

I am further down this road thanks to all of your help, folks, so thanks.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
That link is to a 1975 publication..... Late Bay Window Type 2 era.

Basically the Same transmission except for a water based oil cooler added to it.
You won't be finding any Vanagon numbers in there.

Dave

**Update**

Mine has this cooler.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I wish it were that simple. My VIN does not look at all like the chassis number indicated in the guide (..."from chassis number 216-2-000-001")

My VIN, like most of this era, is a mixture of numbers and letters.

Question How do I figure my chassis number from this: WV2ZB0259HH013374

Also, I did read the VIN Decoder thread, but did not see or understand how to determine the chassis number form that. Did I miss something?

The chassis is the 2-digit model type number, followed by the date letter and 6-digit sequential production number in the VIN.

In other words, your chassis number would be:
25-H-013374
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

Guess I should've reviewed my Bentley, which refers to the trans as an 090. On nearly every site I've done research the transmission section is referred to as an 010, which then by transitive properties applies to the whole unit on a T3. Even Weddle plays fast and loose with VW trans nomenclature by referring to all WBX manual trans as 094, when that designation only applies to the five speed units in the Bentley. Probably a good lesson not to get too comfortable with shorthand descriptions

y u rune klassik?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission - 087 or 010 or 090? Reply with quote

I agree--there's a lot of generalization of the names... and you can get 090 parts in 010 kits (most rebuild kits have extra seals added to "cover everything" in the range).

Hopefully this thread will be useful for others in the future.

Happy Saturday night, everyone.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: