Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project 66 Daily Driver.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 61

Another fine breakfast at the restaurant where we started this great experiment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DAY 62

I replaced the accelerator cable due to the fact that I really didn't know age of the one that came with the car. The one I got from Airhead Parts was much better. The old one was more like a metal string than a cable like the new one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week totaled up to 83 miles. That included six trips to Work. A trip to the gas station. A trip to a meeting in town. A trip to my sons school then Hotckes for breakfast. A trip to job lot for some groceries.

Friday I replaced the accelerator cable before work

and adjusted the valves on Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 67

DAY 68

125 miles this week. We took a trip to Mansfield Drive-in Theatre & Marketplace (Mansfield CT) last Sunday then work Monday, Wednesday through Friday, post office one day, Home Depot Thursday and Acopulcos today for lunch.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 72

Took a trip to Westbrook CT. It was about a 125-mile round trip. The weather wasn't the greatest for it, cold a rainy. Something is up with the wipers or wiper motor/linkages. They started to skip across the windshield and squeak as soon as they are turned on. I'm not sure if the Rain X has anything to do with it or maybe one of the wiper arm is bent funny (The driver’s side was mangled when I got it). I tried readjusting it but can't replicate the problem yet.

Last edited by EA812 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 75

Yesterday I noticed the front signal light seals are starting to crack. Last week I noticed the tail light seals are just as bad. Not really a big deal since I did get the cheap body seal set from Jbugs but I am let down that another rubber piece I purchased from WW has started to crack up also. The wiper pivot seals. They are about a year old. Oddly enough the trunk and deck lid seals are still in fine shape from that same body kit. The trunk seal on Herbie from WW split in three months. The trunk seal from jbugs is over a year old now.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is starting at below freezing.
http://vid402.photobucket.com/albums/pp106/EA812/101_7053_zpsfiunmefi.mp4

Last edited by EA812 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

179 miles this week.
The car doesn’t love the cold but its still chugging along.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to see that you drive your Beetle (as I think I've said before!). I miss driving my Super, so I live vicariously through you--at least, until I fix mine!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAT 78
Nothing like taking the current project to look at the next possible project and some small planes as well.

DAY 80

The Abominable snowmobeetle just didn’t care about that snowstorm. I didn’t realize the manual drum brakes are kind of like anti lock brakes when stopping. They aren’t touchy so no sliding to a stop. The only concern I had was visibility with the windows fogging up. It seemed that 35 on the flat straight roads in third kept the RPMs up enough to keep the windows relatively clear.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little less driving this week at 80 miles. We went from a nice Sunny Sunday drive to Ellington CT to look at a possible next project to a snowstorm at night. Technically I’m at three months now.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 85

car wash for getting any ice melt chemicals off then I sprayed the underneath with WD 40. I got the idea from power block TV we will see how that does.

During week 12 I noticed the fuel mileage dropped dramatically. Last weekend I checked the spark plugs. They looked great but number 1 and 2 were loose. after that I reset the timing and adjusted the carb a bit. The mileage is better but I really do need to install a thermostat. It really doesn't warm up all the way on the short trips that I do a lot of. I also went out of my way to take it out on the highway a couple times this week to get it heated up.

Day 90
[/size][/size]

Last edited by EA812 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 91

Hanging at the beach. Cold and windy December day. I think it got all the way up to 35!

and then an odd thing I noticed last week. the dome light which I believe to be original has been needing a light tap to get it to come on at times when I open the door. Probably a bad ground or is loose. I also noticed that for the first time since I go it working over a year ago that the switch works to make it come on with the door closed. It didn't work before. So I guess I just leave it alone and don't try and fix it for the tapping issue:)
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EA812

We are kinda in the same neck of the woods weather wise...I have not seen a vintage VW like yours on the road thru out the winter monthes probably since the early 1980's...

I love seeing this daily driver stuff from you guys with the vintage vehicles....I am still really new to the VW hobby having not had one since 1979 so I am going to be following this thread with a lot of interest.

Thanks for sharing the journey on here.

MikeC
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi EA812

We are kinda in the same neck of the woods weather wise...I have not seen a vintage VW like yours on the road thru out the winter monthes probably since the early 1980's...

I love seeing this daily driver stuff from you guys with the vintage vehicles....I am still really new to the VW hobby having not had one since 1979 so I am going to be following this thread with a lot of interest.

Thanks for sharing the journey on here.

MikeC

Mike thanks for following! I have to say you’re getting the less desirable weather right now, just icy this morning and turning to all rain. I did find out however last night that the defroster is warm enough to melt most of the windshield. I was gonna mention that shano63 and Rome are also from NY (they both posted earlier in the thread) but I think they are both just as far of from you as I am. Who knows maybe you will see them at something local anyhow. IDK how far off Rinebeck is for you but a bunch of us from CT went to that show this year. It was a beautiful ride and I hope to do it again next year. I hope to run into you at something in the near future. As for the daily driver with vintage car stuff this is a one-time thing unless I decide to try it again in the future with another project. No plans for that yet and I have never done this before.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to some flack I got from a friend recently for not running a thermostat, I decided should of put in a disclaimer years ago on this.

:Disclaimer: I don't build them for a living just for fun and I should in no way be considered an expert mechanic or body guy what so ever (or a professional writer also). :Disclaimer:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more beach shots.

The temps have been all over the place lately.

This week I did a little A-Pillar repair, Eventually I'll need to get one of the A-pillar replacement parts but the door will need to come off to do it right. That isn't gonna happen without a fight;)

DAY 95 Mile 5150 (I kid you not)

On my way to meet my wife I ran out of gas. I suspected it may happen since I readjusted the gas gage recently and I haven't been that low yet. We were hummin along at about 40 when it bucked a couple times and stalled. I yanked it out of gear and coasted down a side road to a parking lot. Luckily no traffic since I had to make a left turn. My son was with me and he started to panic, "what are we gonna do!". Call Mom. She was only a mile away and I had a gas can. Not only did she bail us out but she was at Dunken when I called so a nice hot cup of coffee came as well! I looked at the odometer and it was at 5150, crazy!

It turns out the aftermarket tank is smaller than the original. I only get about seven gallons into it. Unless I keep stopping short. So half tank on the gage is full tank. It says in one of the manuals to adjust it for empty or two gallons on r (that's what I did yesterday) not for full tank.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
EA812 wrote:

Like a lot of other builds here this one is on a budget. I was hopeful to have it up and running by fall. I sold my boat to fund most of this
some updates:

I did some cheap seat repair and made some cheesy seat covers with an old tent.

]

Now its in the garbage

I Replaced the padding today. Still has the Mexican blanket for upholstery.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 14

I put 176 miles on this week starting with the CVA last Hurrah at Westbrook Beach. Then to and from work during major rain storms. This week we are really counting on A- Bomb since I have my wife’s car apart right now to do a wheel bearing.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the seat looks like all done. Doesn’t look much better but feels a lot better. I used zip ties all around the bottom frame to hold my homemade slip cover in place.

DAY 100

Today I hit 2000 miles since the start of this.

Here is another attempt at my sunset local.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 28

Jump to: