Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaspark digital or other timing maps
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Magnaspark digital or other timing maps Reply with quote

I would me interested to see what others are running as timing maps and what they have found to work best.

I know every engine requires different advance, but it would be interesting to find what others have found works best for them and why?
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaspark digital or other timing maps Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
I would me interested to see what others are running as timing maps and what they have found to work best.

I know every engine requires different advance, but it would be interesting to find what others have found works best for them and why?

I have been starting to play with the CB magnaspark digital and am quite interested in optimizing my timing map as well.
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also about to install the dizzy. Anything I need to know before I put it in?
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll post mine. Please know that it is still in the experemental phase, and I would not consider this a final or even necessarily a proper map. I was still working through AFR and EGT data, when I got side tracked.

This is the default NA Dual carb map;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine is NA 2276cc with 86b Cam, DRLA 45s and 9.3:1 CR. I ended up needing more timing in sooner than the default map, and added a bit more advance under light load and lower RPMs.

I also added an idle valley at 800 RPM, which helped idle stability tremendously. This really made a difference in cold start and setup of the carbs. Before the valley, the engine hunted a bit and the idle time bounced around. I ended up backing the initial timing down from the default of 15 degrees to 10 degrees, and opening up the throttle valve a bit more for the same RPM. It may also be of interest to note that idle MAP is in the 82-86 range, but will drop down into the mid 60's under light load.

I was working out a slight lean spot in progression, at 3200 RPMs when I took this screen shot. My cruising EGTs seem a bit high, but WOT is in range and it runs fairly well.

E4ODnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like the default map is basically a mechanical curve. With that cam, dual DLAR 45s and an idle MAP of 82 to 86 KPA, can you really use MAP as a load reference? Does your system allow you to use a combination of TPS and RPM instead of MAP?

I suspect that you could use a lot more advance at idle and light load but I don't know how you could program it using MAP for load.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running the Magnaspark digital, and it is RPM and MAP. I can log TPS to my innovate unit, but there is no programming for it on the ignition.

The engine just started to behave normally with the increase early and cruise settings. I haven't gotten back to it, to try more. I had a very slight lean spot at 3200 RPM, which I changed the air jets for. I haven't goofed with the timing since.

I was increasing timing to lean cruise further, and just couldn't get it to respond correctly in the 16:1 AFR range. I found an error in the instrumentation that I haven't sorted yet, but getting the progression smoothed out helped.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
OK I'll post mine. Please know that it is still in the experemental phase, and I would not consider this a final or even necessarily a proper map. I was still working through AFR and EGT data, when I got side tracked.

This is the default NA Dual carb map;

The engine is NA 2276cc with 86b Cam, DRLA 45s and 9.3:1 CR. I ended up needing more timing in sooner than the default map, and added a bit more advance under light load and lower RPMs.

I also added an idle valley at 800 RPM, which helped idle stability tremendously. This really made a difference in cold start and setup of the carbs. Before the valley, the engine hunted a bit and the idle time bounced around. I ended up backing the initial timing down from the default of 15 degrees to 10 degrees, and opening up the throttle valve a bit more for the same RPM. It may also be of interest to note that idle MAP is in the 82-86 range, but will drop down into the mid 60's under light load.

I was working out a slight lean spot in progression, at 3200 RPMs when I took this screen shot. My cruising EGTs seem a bit high, but WOT is in range and it runs fairly well.

You should re configure your load boundaries. I would start at 75kpa and blend over to 100kpa. This will give you better resolution in your spark table.
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dizzy is great but, I am way over my head when it comes to adjusting it. I guess it would help if I had an EGT and O2 sensors to go off of. I know its way smoother than it was with the cheap 009.

I don't even know where to start.
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I am using right now.

Here are the specs 71 Super 2110 42x37.5 4:1 rockers CR 8.2:1 44 IDF's (36
vent, 55idle,135main,190air and f11 tube) Cam is a K8ish (DRD special
grind he says is close to the K8 ) 1 5/8 A1 sidewinder and a MSD6A with
CB MS coil Plugs NGK BP6ES gap .035. I have stock gear ratios for a 71
super and 25 3/4 inch tall tires.

It cruises at 75mph at around 3800rpm.

Last edited by bowen71 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have wideband O2 yet the following will be slightly pointless, but anyway...

You should have more timing in the vacuum parts of the map above 2500 RPM, to simulate vac advance. But it only helps if you can verify you have leaned the mixture in those parts of the map suitably, hence the need for O2 data.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More engine vacuum, more ignition timing, you'll have to play with the off-idle advance area as you come off the rpms when revving it, too high and it will want to hunt and stay higher in the rpms when it's revved. At wide open throttle, you want/need more timing before the engine "gets on the cam", and less timing once you're in the power band.

It all plays to how efficient the engine is behaving in each cell. More efficient, less timing and vice versa.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
More engine vacuum, more ignition timing, you'll have to play with the off-idle advance area as you come off the rpms when revving it, too high and it will want to hunt and stay higher in the rpms when it's revved. At wide open throttle, you want/need more timing before the engine "gets on the cam", and less timing once you're in the power band.

It all plays to how efficient the engine is behaving in each cell. More efficient, less timing and vice versa.

Thanks for the info, I guess the question is how much timing can I go without damage to the engine. If I know my cam comes in at 2k then I need more timing before that point. But how do you figure the vacuum into that?
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Great thread. Reply with quote

I also am building a 2110 and have the magnaspark II digital. I was relieved to have someone help me get a decent combination of components but it seems "it all in the tune." I have a steep learning curve when it comes to timing, vacuum and such. I hope this thread comes alive as a tutorial of sorts. Thanks for the read thus far. Very Happy
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaspark digital or other timing maps Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help me understand here... please be gentle if I have got this all wrong!!!

I have a magna spark which I am looking to put on my 36hp motor with charger.

I took a little time to map (or so I think) the VJUR 4 Br8 distributor as a starting point, with a simple 1° off for each lb of boost, which will be no more than 7lbs max.

so, the original dizzy mechanical advance is 7.5° static, up to 23° @3400rpm
the original vac can is 1° to 17° from 5 inHG (85kpa) to 15inHG (51kpa)

so my max total advance is 40°, reduced to 33° at 7lbs boost.

I could probably do with revising these figures as I took them from the upper levels of the brackets. however what I need to understand is how to put these into the table.

I set the table to go from 51kpa to 178kpa

Question is, If I have kpa advance/retard across the top and mech adv down the left, do I add the two together in each cell? `doing so gives me a very different looking table from any seen here.... so Im a bit confused tbh. Any advice on how to make the two advances work together on the table?

Apologies, done in excel for now... blue line is where vac is coming in.

Last edited by pig-pen on Sat May 27, 2023 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaspark digital or other timing maps Reply with quote

My 1641in a bus.

IAT is around 95F because of stock heated air intake. AFR around 12.5-13.5:1 at WOT.

Nothing special, based off a stock distributor curve. STM32F103 Controller talks to EDIS module. So that's crank fire wasted spark.

I added the centrifugal to the vacuum advance for a 205AL curve for cells above 1000 rpm.
I flattened it off at 750 rpm with a valley to stabilise cold idle. My engine idles pretty well at 750 rpm but then rises to 1000rpm warm.

I flattened it off above 4500 rpm because while my engine reaches 5500 rpm I dont want to exceed 4500 in normal service..

I dont yet have my AFR hooked up or any firmware code to handle adjustment of the vacuum advance.

Beats wobbly old Bosch distributors and wobbly Chinese distributors. Noticeably more torque mid range..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy

Last edited by mikedjames on Sat May 27, 2023 12:56 am; edited 6 times in total
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaspark digital or other timing maps Reply with quote

Anything from 100 kpa down can be mapped like the distributor diagram you have posted if desired.
Anything above 100 kpa (boost) should be mapped carefully and 33 degrees advance is too much for a boosted engine.
Ignition advance is more based on Intake Air Temps than boost to a degree.
With a blower it is always making hot air so your ignition advance will need to be adjusted down accordingly.

If I were you I would be very careful with any advance over the standard 30 degrees unless in very light cruise...... seeing as how a blower will see cruise IAT's as high as 160 degrees F........You might want to weigh your options.

I myself have found that IAT's above 130 degrees F. need caution and adjustment on cruise ignition advance.

When I drive our buggy from Washington State to California I have to lower my cruise advance because I see cruise IAT's of 130 degrees F. quite easily.
My turbo will add about 10-20 degrees to the ambient temps and in Cali you can easily see temps of 106* F. or more when driving through the Barstow area.
With my ECU I can have it retard timing according to Intake temp and also boost.
I use the IAT feature in cruise...... It helps so I don't have to remap my advance bins if I do long distance travel.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaspark digital or other timing maps Reply with quote

hey, thanks for this.

just edited post above with table...

updated with 30° max advance across the board... does this look like it might be 'right'?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: