Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield corner drain holes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drain holes are for when the body was dipping in primer. The primer would not build up there and cause issues down the road.

The primer could be drained with no problem. There is no way those are used for water drainage. There is no where for the water to go that will allow for those to be actually called drain holes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
?? Maybe I need to re-read this thread. Rolling Eyes

OACDP 5/66 = Like reading someone's pipedream.
Maybe I'll need to put some sealer between the gasket and the body to keep the water from getting in there. Laughing
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would someone please lock this thread?

It's obvious the drain discussion will continue forever whilst nobody reads posts more than 3 entries ago...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good info source for me!

In the past I put a lot of silicon grease to have windshield well sealed, and all was OK, except for the old seal looking bad.

Recently, during a whole restore, I put a new windshield seal, and noticed the 4 holes (2 foreach side) discussed here; I decided to leave them open (I repainted the whole car).

My issue now is water leaking INTO the defrost duct, and, when defrosting is all open, engine well running, and it's raining, I have water drips jumping out from defrost openings straight towards my face. Drips are blown up from the hot air.

So I'm going to consider water drips into vertical defrost ducts via the holes kept open.

It's time to:
- remove windshield seal and close holes OR
- put a sort of sealant (silicon grease?) under the seal without removing it

Any hint before I proceed?

Thank you
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are if it has water jumping out of the defrost vents at the windshield.. the water is coming from the seal and dribbling into the vent unnoticed.

No... you say.... .. If water was to drip from the windshield drains... it drips into lower A pillar which has a small drain vent opening to the outside bottom as well. . further more... if the defrost tube is connected properly...and the A pillar drain vent is not blocked.. NO WAY water could enter the heating system and UP the defrost tube.. unless its completely saturated....flooded... and even that's unlikely..as you would have water in your floor...

Hence why a little sealer is required between the body and seal.

Does it happen ever time without sealer...no.. but I've had the exact same issue before with the primer drain holes sealed.. ... It always ended up being water wicking through the windshield seal..
Water can seep between the glass and seal or the seal and the body..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried grease once, it lost the seal about three months later. Remove the seal and reseal with one of the products we suggested on page one or find out what your local glass shop recommends, try that , and please do report results in a year, two years three years etc..

Do also check if there are any rust holes in the front wheel wells that might be splashing water into the heater channels.

VOLKSWAGNUT where is the A pillar drain area underneath? We have not found one yet.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT where is the A pillar drain area underneath? We have not found one yet.

Its an area where a few sheet metal pieces join and form the drain or vent hole..
Steel sunroof cars front drain tubes do use it for the water exit..... but even found even on non sunroof models as the natural lower drain in the event a hood seal (or fender bolt) dripped or leaked..
If any water makes it under the windshield seal and just so happens to drip through the primer drains.... thats where it goes..

Use a mirror.... its there.

djkeev wrote:
The front has drains at the bottom of the panel in front of the door hinges ("A"pillar) It's simply a hole that drips onto the top edge of the running board.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just checked, the 1952, 1956, 1958 sunroof and 1961 beetles we have do not have that drain. Know about the metal sunroof having drain hoses and those still might not allow out any water that just gets down into "A" pillar.
Anyone have a 1966 or 67 non-sunroof that could check for drain holes there? Maybe it was a post-1967 addition to sedans.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Well just checked, the 1952, 1956, 1958 sunroof and 1961 beetles we have do not have that drain. Know about the metal sunroof having drain hoses and those still might not allow out any water that just gets down into "A" pillar.
Anyone have a 1966 or 67 non-sunroof that could check for drain holes there? Maybe it was a post-1967 addition to sedans.

Dont know what year they started.. but they are there on non sunroof Sedans too.

I will say djkeev's (photo above) photo seems to be a larger version of what is commonly found... but... its on a Convertible as you can see..

My current 67 Sedan has them...
My long gone 64 sunroof and 66 Sedan surely had them too..

Ill check my 61 convertible and 66 convertible remnants tonight... Laughing

You pretty much need to have the running board off and maybe the fender off to see the opening..

djkeev wrote:
Well...

Open the door, either door, look below the lower hinge on the very bottom of the "A" pillar...... See the arrow?.....
You need to close the door and remove the running board but you will find this hole.......... It is often rusted away or completely clogged. It drains the "Black Hole" under each front lid Spring......

Dave

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

You pretty much need to have the running board off and maybe the fender off to see the opening..

1956 has both off and easy to see with mirror. 1952 & 1961 are missing the running boards and still easy to see.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

1956 has both off and easy to see with mirror. 1952 & 1961 are missing the running boards and still easy to see.

Take pics of yours.. and Ill take pics of mine...I have apart.
It wont look like djkeev's picture.. its a little open slit.. thats all..
Usually and often edited
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image of the 1956. Even took out a dental pick to explore around and clean off more of the area after taking the image, nothing, but solid metal....

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..... I think I see it .. maybe not.... got to refresh my memory..
Besides this is 58-67 forum.... Laughing

Like I mentioned.. its not as large as the first djkeevs pic, represents.

Ill try to get my pics tonight..

Check your 61..
Usually and often edited
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to the 1961, thought maybe found a slit at the rear, but the dental pick will not fit thru anywhere.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Went out to the 1961, thought maybe found a slit at the rear, but the dental pick will not fit thru anywhere.

......maybe its was a 64 body change ...but for 100% sure.. I know its there on 64 - 67 Sedan body's... and found on 68 up too.

Damn.. hate to pull my 67 Sedan running board off to prove a point... but... I may just have too.

If anybody want to chime in... with pictures... lets have em'

Learnin' is kewl Cool

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my rusty 66 A pillar. Definitely see a hole where the metal folds together. Thought it was from rot.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep..^.... thats it.. I'm now thinking.....its a 64 up thing.....

Usually and often edited
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
Here is a pic of my rusty 66 A pillar. Definitely see a hole where the metal folds together. Thought it was from rot.

Thanks for posting that! Would help if someone has a less rusty beetle to tell for sure. Wonder if VW put drain hose connections in all beetles with the introduction of the metal sunroof.
Has anyone got an image of the bottom of "A" pillar in a metal sunroof beetle with the outside sheet metal off? Wondering if the plastic drain hose was connected to a pipe down inside to that drain. Due to being hose connected designed those drains might not let out water getting into the bottom of "A" pillar.

VW had a bit of a SNAFU when they introduced the Auto-Stick transaxle. The first few years VW left out the clutch cable tube out of the pans due to not needing those with the ASTs. A few years later VW just installed the clutch tube, probably for ease of assembly and stocking parts. Then the pan if need be could be used with either transaxle.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer that as I had a 64 sunroof car at one time..
The front were just metal spout tubes that stopped mid A pillar.
Any water dribbled down the A pillar black hole and exited the outside in the lower A pillar drain we are discussing.
No front extension down and out.... a very poor design indeed...

That same body drain for the front (and rear) for sure were also built into 64 up Sedans.. and I think Convertibles... (since they start as Sedan)..
64 up also have the rear drains in the quarter panel above the running board.. Sedans have a plug in them. ... Wink

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
In case anyone is interested in Factory diagram; this one is from VW shop manual

Usually and often edited
payin_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61 hard top has the holes on both sides Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: