Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lock cylinder tumblers
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Lock cylinder tumblers Reply with quote

Do the ignition key cylinders, and the door lock cylinders use the same tumblers, 1-4?

Is there any place to get new ones, or do I just have to get some good used?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lock cylinder tumblers Reply with quote

partwerks wrote:
Do the ignition key cylinders, and the door lock cylinders use the same tumblers, 1-4?

Is there any place to get new ones, or do I just have to get some good used?

I'm sure any local locksmith should be able to sell you some. Make sure you are getting the right type. Since you are on the watercooled forum I assume your lock has wagers and not pins (tumblers?). I've rekeyed my Vanagon ignition and the wafers are the same as on any other watercooled of similar vintage. I did notice that some locks use double wafers and others used singles. Depends on where the locks are made.
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are flat with a point on one end.

Between the tumblers from the old and new to make a new cylinder up, we still need one more to make it complete, maybe because one that may have been needed was worn?

We left the end one out, but it works, I just don't want to pull the key sideways, otherwise it will catch. Will have to come up with a few more tumblers.

Are ignition tumblers and lock tumblers the same??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

partwerks wrote:
These are flat with a point on one end.

Between the tumblers from the old and new to make a new cylinder up, we still need one more to make it complete, maybe because one that may have been needed was worn?

We left the end one out, but it works, I just don't want to pull the key sideways, otherwise it will catch. Will have to come up with a few more tumblers.

Are ignition tumblers and lock tumblers the same??

Sorry I guess people use the term interchangeably. I call the round ones tumblers because they are shaped like tumblers. But call the flat ones wafers because they are shaped that way. That's how my locksmiths always refer to them. See tumbler below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm taking it, these are what you are looking for:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The round ones are in older locks and operate with keys that only have cuts on one side. The wafers operates both types but mostly with keys cut on both sides.

Wafers are usually sold in lots of 20 or more. Locksmith kits come with hundreds and sometimes into the thousands. That's why I suggested you buy ONE from a locksmith. You can also get them used but you need to know which wafer you want. Maybe someone parting put a car or have broken locks, if you want to economize. I doubt a locksmith would charge too much. Try www.steveslockshop.com He is less expensive than most of the people I see advertise in the Samba. He's well known in the Vanagon community. The only thing is he is in Texas. US mail works fine with him. He's done Porsche and VW locks for me. One time he didn't have a particular wafer for my 930S. He got a Nissan wafer to make it work. Porsche lock tolerances are tighter than VW's and he got it to work. I'm sure he can mail you a wafer or two if you want to undertake the project yourself.
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I guess I have the wafers then, that are flat with a beak type of thingy on the end. Not exactly which one I would need to make it work. I presume when I do the other handle, it will come out the same, but don't know, cuz the problem was that the two new handles I got from thepartsbin.com had two different keys and so I was at that point going to convert the doors and trunk over to the ignition key to simplify things.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

partwerks wrote:
Thanks for the information.

Yes, I guess I have the wafers then, that are flat with a beak type of thingy on the end. Not exactly which one I would need to make it work. I presume when I do the other handle, it will come out the same, but don't know, cuz the problem was that the two new handles I got from thepartsbin.com had two different keys and so I was at that point going to convert the doors and trunk over to the ignition key to simplify things.

That's what I would do. The ignition is the bigger PITA to take out, if it's never been removed. You need to drill a hole in the side of the lock housing to release the cylinder. Doors are easy, especially since they are already out.

If you are luck and your car locks had not been previously molested, the lock code should be stamped somewhere on the handle. Have fresh key cut from that code and use that to match up your door handles.

Trust me, the convenience is well worth the extra effort. At one time, I had 14 Vanagons at the same time. Finding the right key was always a major PITA. I rekeyed all the locks alike so every lock worked with the same key. Wink
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tumblers(waffers) shown above are wrong, they are for 99.5 and newer lock cylinders.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
The tumblers(waffers) shown above are wrong, they are for 99.5 and newer lock cylinders.

Well, the idea was to explain the difference between the round vs. flat "tumblers". Not only are the wafers different in later years, they also differ between OEM suppliers.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know a source where one could buy a small assortment of pins/wafers for Vanagon door locks? Must be someone out there that sells such, don't see anything in the classifieds.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able to get them from the VW dealer. Definitely locksmith supply houses carry them. I just collected over the years of VW ownership. Often, old locks get discarded. I saved the wafers.
zuhaelter_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using this guy for a while now. Super fast repairs and keys.
http://mk1key.com/
B5 V6 GLS
B7 TDI Passat SE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: