Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Johnny's Speed & Chrome Employee Rollcall
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Johnny's Speed & Chrome Employee Rollcall Reply with quote

Well I been wondering who else on this site used to work there? I was there working in the warehouse at the end of the 80's during the dayglow and neon colors phase. Surprised I still have a few shirts and stuff from that era, plus I grew up right there so I have other old stuff from them. I remember the old man came in and used his cain and probed the trash bins, and one time he found a set of wheels tossed in there from the docks, he was not happy. But that was a fun place back in the old days. Except the radio in the warehouse blasted klos every day and that meant listening to that Mark and Brian crap, is that still on? God I hated that, we wanted knac hehe. So did you work there? Surprised
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
tirekicker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see some pictures.

(16:45:42) Russ_Wolfe: TK, you are like a Maytag washer
(16:46:44) tirekicker: and what's a maytag washer?
(16:47:35) Russ_Wolfe: If you are not agitating, you are not working right
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark&Brian retired this year I think.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:
Mark&Brian retired this year I think.

Thank God Rolling Eyes
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup they sucked and every time a good song came on, it faded out in a few seconds an the 2 clowns started talking again. It was so irritating but Tom the guy that ran the front with all the phone order girls insisted on that station from open to closing. One time we changed it when he was gone and he came back all pissed because we had knac blasting metal hehehe.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Johnny's Speed & Chrome Employee Rollcall Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Well I been wondering who else on this site used to work there? I was there working in the warehouse at the end of the 80's during the dayglow and neon colors phase. Surprised I still have a few shirts and stuff from that era, plus I grew up right there so I have other old stuff from them. I remember the old man came in and used his cain and probed the trash bins, and one time he found a set of wheels tossed in there from the docks, he was not happy. But that was a fun place back in the old days. Except the radio in the warehouse blasted klos every day and that meant listening to that Mark and Brian crap, is that still on? God I hated that, we wanted knac hehe. So did you work there? Surprised

I have an old JSC catalog stashed somewhere.
Lot of unique stuff in it.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dba Jiffy Plating and Sales !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JerryB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: JSC Reply with quote

I have a JSC catalog and pricing for 1986, 1987, and 1992.
Also a "Summer Special" price flyer......dated Sept 1980...heres some prices from that flyer....

Blem Baja Kits....$42 ea and with bumpers $59.95.....Blem ha ....most all the fiberglass were blems. But boy did they sell the parts. !! Very Happy

Want more from the flyer?
Engine stand bench mount....$9.35
Bosch 009 dist.....$21.00
Power pulley...$6.95

Back in the day we sold him Melling oil pumps and some other stuff. When we went to lunch he always drove a Lincoln Continental as I remember. A great guy. Anybody remember Jiffy Plating that John owned ?

Ha....I just saw as I was posting this....what "Cusser" above said re Jiffy....I remember vaguely back then when John took me over to the plating shop to show it off...I think it was in Santa Fe Springs. He was very proud of that.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good memories for sure. They were making mini truck stuff and a guy in Riverside used to weld up all the buggies and "show bars" they sold. And by the time I was there, the warehouse had a big isle full of the ATC parts that were no longer being purchased. At the time I had a ATC and got some cool stuff for cheap. I also drove a Baja bug and working there allowed me to get stuff in advance of getting paid. But customers came in with awesome machines all the time, I loved that.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try again, so far I am the only Samba member that worked for Johnny's, who else did? Cool
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
nobuggybob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't work there but I did work at Jackman Wheels for a few years in the late 70s early 80s Cool
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shopped JSC at OCIR many times in the '70's Very Happy
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When and why did they go out of business? I do remember having a catalog when I was young (I am 34 now), and I always focused on the hot blonde on the cover in the "car washing" picture.

Zack
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of store front pics from my visit in the early 90's. I'll post them when I find them. All gone, Johnny's, Barret Ent and Car Custom. Of all the stores and shops I visited, Johnny's was the busiest. It was actually pretty crazy at that counter.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
When and why did they go out of business? I do remember having a catalog when I was young (I am 34 now), and I always focused on the hot blonde on the cover in the "car washing" picture.

Zack

Like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Big hair was all the rage back then.

Lot of items JSC sold I wish were still available.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the earlier yellow cover catalog.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sweet memory! I have that catalog too, I really need to dig up all the cool stuff I kept from them for you folks to see, soon. Surprised
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt work ther but I ordered a bunch of stuff in the late 80s, I got a half roll cage from there. I too have a blue catalog in almost mint condition.

74 Standard Type 1
69 Squareback Type 3
55 Oval Type 1
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled this shirt out tonight, I was into Bajas back then. Surprised
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a JSC Invade chassis that I converted to mid engine and autocrossed for years. I payed a wopping $500 for it and that was after it was shipped to Canada. I still have my dayglo pink power pulley but he numbers and pink wore off, a mint neon pink license plate frame and the blue cataloge.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: