Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check your junk!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Check your junk! Reply with quote

I hope I got your attention! Laughing

I want to chime in here with some advise for the men on the samba. I am recovering from a prostectomy. I'm about two weeks into recovery. all is well! No detectable cancer in my margins and nodes. WOO-HOO

NOW MY RECOMMENDATION FOR ALL!

Have the "digital exam" every year AND, this is important! Have it done by a Urologist. I did not and I should have. I was checked every year by my primary care doctor and was clean and had a low PSA. Now I recently had some urgency issues, and he sent me to a Urologist. Now here is the reason for my post! My primary doctor did a exam 2 days before my urology appointment.
The Urologist did one two days later, and felt a lump instantly!! I asked my primary if he had detected it and did not say anything, as to not worry me before my urologist appointment. He said "No" he did not feel a thing! So! See the guy that does this embarassing exam every day and is experienced in what it feels like! Also for those out there that have a low PSA score, mine was a 3.4 and my urologist said he thought it would be a benign biopsy. I searched this topic and decided to post my own because of my percieved importance of my advice. I know my experience is anecdotal, but I think it valid and very useful for all of you getting to that age. I am 64 and have been tested every year since 55, which was probably later than I should.

Go forth and be examined!

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father died at 53 from prostate cancer. My uncle and 2 cousins both had it and survived. I'm 57 and had yearly exams since 45.

Early detection give you options. PSA is not accurate, my uncle has a very high PSA and he no longer has a prostate.

Get an exam, you loved ones will thank you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Check your junk! Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:
I hope I got your attention! Laughing

I want to chime in here with some advise for the men on the samba. I am recovering from a prostectomy. I'm about two weeks into recovery. all is well! No detectable cancer in my margins and nodes. WOO-HOO

NOW MY RECOMMENDATION FOR ALL!

Have the "digital exam" every year AND, this is important! Have it done by a Urologist. I did not and I should have. I was checked every year by my primary care doctor and was clean and had a low PSA. Now I recently had some urgency issues, and he sent me to a Urologist. Now here is the reason for my post! My primary doctor did a exam 2 days before my urology appointment.
The Urologist did one two days later, and felt a lump instantly!! I asked my primary if he had detected it and did not say anything, as to not worry me before my urologist appointment. He said "No" he did not feel a thing! So! See the guy that does this embarassing exam every day and is experienced in what it feels like! Also for those out there that have a low PSA score, mine was a 3.4 and my urologist said he thought it would be a benign biopsy. I searched this topic and decided to post my own because of my percieved importance of my advice. I know my experience is anecdotal, but I think it valid and very useful for all of you getting to that age. I am 64 and have been tested every year since 55, which was probably later than I should.

Go forth and be examined!

Good advice. I had a doctor stick his finger in my butt and thought nothing of it. I was later advised to change dentists.

Seriously though, a high PSA can also indicate a prostate infection. Those are no fun and a PITA to treat.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see all is well now. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember, if it feels like more than two fingers, it's probably a dick...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid doctors as much as possible. If you're not sick, and go to a doctor, you'll be sick. Then you'll get a med that requires another med to offset the side effects of the first, then a third for the second, etc, etc, etc.

We start dying when we're born, and we all have to go sometime. If I'm ate up inside with cancer, then so be it, it's apparently my time to go.

The world is a shitty place anyway.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

The world is a shitty place anyway.

That's a Proctologist's point of view.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Check your junk! Reply with quote

All I can say to that post is, "wow."
Retired_CPO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a guy who takes 156 pills a week and I'm only 42...I do believe this is beginning of the end.

My build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540902

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectVW1303/
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Check your junk! Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

now you understand the beauty of the 'ignore' function....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Check your junk! Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

It's born of 35 years working in hospitals.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Check your junk! Reply with quote

I'm sorry for you, zozo, that you have such a shitty outlook on life.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Check your junk! Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I'm sorry for you, zozo, that you have such a shitty outlook on life.

I could say the same about you. Should I feel sorry for you because you see things differently than I do? If so, okay. I feel sorry for you too.

It's all good for me. I'm okay with it, just don't feel a need to squeeze out every second possible only to have it end anyway. And it does end, for everyone eventually. Many of the "cures" are worse than the worst illness you can imagine and end in death and immeasurable pain for the families witnessing, hoping, and praying that it'll work, only to get an apology and a hug. I'm just good with my time being whatever it is.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of different opinions here! I like the dentist joke, since it is close to my message. Have the right doctor do the exam! Also now days you are just informed----treatment or no treatment is up to you. Prosate cancer is one where watch and wait is a course of treatment decided ultimately by you.

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick story....Sadly I agree with Zozo on this one.
My dad had been fighting colon cancer for about 3-4 years, 3 times he went through surgery, 3 times he came out fine, each time they said the chance of the cancer coming back would be slim to none. ...but that fourth time, my dad went in to have his complete colon removed to remedy all this, he wasnt happy but we all wanted him to live. The funny thing about going to the doctor is, while in surgery, the doctor nicked his kidney, lied to us and told us everything was fine, shipped him to a bigger hospital and then 3 months later he dies from kidney failure. The kidney issue cause a hematoma in his spine which caused him to lose his ability to move from the waste down, the constant surgeries caused his lungs to gain fluid and he wasnt able to breathe on his own....Three months later, heart ache to the max, its stilling killing me inside every single day having to watch my 240 LB dad waste to 90lbs and not be able to breathe on his own and not even know who he was because of the meds.
So what killed my dad you ask? The cancer? Nope....the doctor, human error. Would he still be alive today, probably.... He told us to let the cancer be, he told us he didnt want this fourth surgery...but did we listen?
So let me tell you something about doctors, I dont trust them, I dont care for them and I dont wanna see one ever again. Screw doctors....
Sometimes the careless doctors will get ya before the cancer will.
So before you call someones distaste in doctors and the medical profession a "shitty outlook on life", you should know we all have a reason for feeling how we do.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier said than done when you are in the military. I had a grandmother & grandfather my mom's side. Both colon cancer both passed. Grandfather dad side samething. I went to the AF dock explained my situation. Nope we aren't concerned. Here poop and finger paint these three test sheets. Oh and keep them in your freezer until all three have been collected. Rolling Eyes Neg test resaults. So they won't do any further test to make sure I'm GTG.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Check your junk! Reply with quote

"The world is a shitty place anyway."
I've lost loved ones to cancer as well, and my wife is a cancer survivor. I guess we all have negative experieces in life, that's the way it is. But based on your credentials I hope your outlook doesn't carry over to your bedside manner, and I'll gladly leave the discussion there. Let's go for a drive and then hoist a cold one.
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancer is an A%$hole. I've too seen family waste away through cancer treatments and die a slow painful death. My wife had surgery and is also a cancer survivor. A lot depends on what type of cancer, its progress and it's cure to death ratio. Treatment is costly and painful, but for some a little extra time is worth the process. For me, if the outcome is going to be the same (statistically) and it looks like I'm gonna check out anyway, let me enjoy the rest of my time with my loved ones. I'm a cop, so i believe when my time is up, I'm gone no matter how bad I want to stay and play.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
Quick story....Sadly I agree with Zozo on this one.
My dad had been fighting colon cancer for about 3-4 years, 3 times he went through surgery, 3 times he came out fine, each time they said the chance of the cancer coming back would be slim to none. ...but that fourth time, my dad went in to have his complete colon removed to remedy all this, he wasnt happy but we all wanted him to live. The funny thing about going to the doctor is, while in surgery, the doctor nicked his kidney, lied to us and told us everything was fine, shipped him to a bigger hospital and then 3 months later he dies from kidney failure. The kidney issue cause a hematoma in his spine which caused him to lose his ability to move from the waste down, the constant surgeries caused his lungs to gain fluid and he wasnt able to breathe on his own....Three months later, heart ache to the max, its stilling killing me inside every single day having to watch my 240 LB dad waste to 90lbs and not be able to breathe on his own and not even know who he was because of the meds.
So what killed my dad you ask? The cancer? Nope....the doctor, human error. Would he still be alive today, probably.... He told us to let the cancer be, he told us he didnt want this fourth surgery...but did we listen?
So let me tell you something about doctors, I dont trust them, I dont care for them and I dont wanna see one ever again. Screw doctors....
Sometimes the careless doctors will get ya before the cancer will.
So before you call someones distaste in doctors and the medical profession a "shitty outlook on life", you should know we all have a reason for feeling how we do.

I understand, and share similar experiences. Hence, my comments.

Sorry about your dad. I lost mine as well. Buried my bro-in-law about 2 weeks ago, wayyyyy too young. (misdiagnosis)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your dad but I have the other side of the coin.

Two years ago my friend Sue was driving to work when she got dizzy and pulled over. She called 911 and then passed out. She came to in the ER and after a few tested they found she had a Glioblastoma... brain cancer. Really bad brain cancer, the same type that took Gary Cater's life.

She was transferred to Memorial Sloan Kettering where she had surgery. She was told that it will grow back and the average life expectancy was 7 months. She had radiation and chemo but after 3 months, it grew back. She survived the 2nd surgery with no neurological damage. She was weak but fought back. She made plans to die and got her finances in order and updated her will. Monthly MRIs showed clear and after 18 months her doctor told her she should start planning her life for another 5 years.

She's in the 1% that beats the odds. The tumor will come back and will take her life, but knowing what you have and making informed decisions can extend your life.

Knowledge is power. You can choose treatment or no treatment.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: