Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My take on the alternator bracket broken stud issue...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonbordin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: My take on the alternator bracket broken stud issue... Reply with quote

Sooo... My engine bit the dust in a cloud of blue smoke. (I was so hoping it'd make it through the winter!) I need to have a second vehicle so I bought a second-hand working engine. The bracket looked weird but it ran and it wasn't expensive so I pulled the trigger.

Upon inspection the studs were missing and the "fix" made more damage. Thanks P.O., sigh... I know... don't talk bad about P.O. as we'll all be one someday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried the weld on and remove method three times in the right stud only to have a small piece of the stud come out each time. I just need this motor to make it to late May so I stepped back and looked for a work-around. I wanted the fix to be light on tools and easy.

I used 1/4 flat bar. Heated it and bent it into shape with a bench vise and a hammer and drilled out the holes... easy does it and what a great use for a power steering mount (as I don't have power steering). This fix could be done just about anywhere.

Just trying to give back to a group that's given me so much. Thank you!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full marks for resourcefulness and open-mindedness - that's a good solution as long as you're not using the power steering pump mount.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have drilled out those studs and re used the holes, so far 2 for 2 Smile

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonbordin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: drillin' tappin' Reply with quote

The P.O.'s attempt at a fix removed a significant amount of metal around those stud inserts, see first picture. I was less comfortable about drilling out further AND that (to me) was a longer path full of potential peril.

I don't have power steering BUT I did have the power steering bracket from a previous donor.

I'm in NO WAY claiming this is the way to go with this issue BUT I though it was worth offering up as an alternative. Smile
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenious! Nice workaround!

[whisper]
<Just don't let TK find out...>
[/whisper]

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the left stud break off on my Westy and was unsure how to approach it. Luckily at the same time, I was helping a friend do a head gasket on his vanagon and he had the same issue but only on the right stud.
We attempted to extract the broken stud and failed. We then tried to tap it out to a larger size but discovered THE HOLE ALREADY HAD A HELICOIL INSTALLED..uuugh; he ended up creating a bracket that did mount into a PS mount hole (its okay his westy was not equipped with ps).
So after our bout with a broken stud I took my van into a local semi-trustworthy shop, and it took them over two weeks to extract the bolt. I had to pay 6 hours of shop labor @ $65 and ended up paying over $400 for an extracted stud.
Alll in all I hope the new bracket holds up for you!
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just removed my alternator. Some previous mechanic broke off the left stud in the hole.
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
i have drilled out those studs and re used the holes, so far 2 for 2 Smile

He Rubbachicken,
How'd you do it?
Thanks,
Matt
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to make it work!

Several years ago, back when I started my engine swap, I too did a "temporary" fix to a 1.9 with worn alternator mount and snapped bolt

https://sites.google.com/site/musomuso/alt.tempbrackets

I also added a second bracket between a tab on an exhaust flange and bottom of twisted bracket. https://sites.google.com/site/musomuso/bracketpage2 In hindsight, maybe not a great idea? (vibrations cause exhaust flange to crack?)

After dumping all the gas/oil out of the engine Shocked and borrowing a pair of injectors from Jake, got it running and found that the alternator was pretty stable and lined up "ok".

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: