Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shorrock or Speedwell Sprint Carb Kit Stromberg?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Shorrock or Speedwell Sprint Carb Kit Stromberg? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone was able to compare a shorrock and a Speedwell Sprint Carb Kit Stromberg?

I'm going to have my original engine repaired (big bore kit
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510067)

and I'm wondering if I should try a Speedwell on it instead of the current 1200 40HP/shorrock I currently have?

Tx

William
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William. I would be very surprised if the Speedwell dual carb kit would outperform the Shorrock Kit.

These were EMPIs figures for the various Shorrock Kits:

Quote:
EMPI sold The Shorrock in a number of packages from 1965:
The basic Shorrock C75bv blower kit as the PSSV-500 for the 40hp engine producing 72hp - $395.00
The Shorrock Kit with an EMPI Big Bore Kit, the PBBV-100, 1352cc producing 78hp - $493.50
The Shorrock Kit with an EMPI 1500 Stroker Kit, the PSKV-601, producing 82hp - $684.50
And top of the range with an EMPI 1600 Stroker Kit, the PSKV-600 producing 85hp - $794.50

I have no figures for the Speedwell Kit.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx John,

I contacted a friend that had the speedwell and it said it was a nightmare to have it work correctly with the dual carb. He even resold the kit.

I'm a bit disappointed of the performance of the shorrock vs judson, but maybe it's because i switch back to a 1200 compare to my big bore

Who knows Smile

William
bug&911nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the kit on my '62. Was a 69x83 40 hp (1500). Other than what I considered to be excessive warm-up periods (even with the manual chokes, had to pump the gas for several minutes until it warmed up), once warm, it was an excellent driver. Pulled well, really nice driveability. Need to regularly check the dashpots in the carbs to make sure the oil level is good. If you don't, and the oil gets low, the motor would tell you anyway!

Car is still somehwere on east coast. Kit was not (for me) a nightmare.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433925&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: