Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All jacked up
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
haywagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: All jacked up Reply with quote

I'm new to owning VW's dune buggies, What are the best places under them to jack the up? Thanks
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never jack up a VW or a buggy by the side of the body/pan.

For the front, I position the jack under the beam or pan head.

For the rear, I position the jack under the torsion housing. Never jack up a VW or buggy by the engine or transmission.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It isn't shown here, but on the only fiberglass buggy I ever built around 1980, I completely removed the floor pans from the outer rail to the center tunnel leaving about 3/8" of material on the center tunnel to attach checkplate. Did the same on my current ridge runner. I replaced the perimeter with 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3/16" angle iron and (4) 1/3/16" X 1/4" wall square tubing "floor joists" running across the buggy and welded to the underneath side of the tunnel. I can jack anywhere along either side as needed. I did this because a few years before I built mine, I had a buggy someone else built and there seemed to be a lot of body flex when torqued up with an 80+ hp engine.

However, without all this extra fab work, JoeCool's answer is spot on. Unless it is otherwise impossible to get your car off the ground, never jack a VW from either side. Carry the original jack for the purists, but carry a scissors jack to get the car off the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i bought the harbor frieght atv lift for maintence work on my quad, but ive used it way more on my buggy build. it worjs great. it was cheap, maybe $70 after a coupon. i lift my buggy by the front beam, and by the solid trasaxle mount in the rear. i like using this jack becuase its foot peddle operated, its got a wide base so i can work on the buggh without the risk of it tipping. also it has a built in jack stand feature.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: