Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Heater core bolt stripped!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottychop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Front Heater core bolt stripped! Reply with quote

Ok, got the dash out without too much fuss. Whew. I go to remove the 6 screws holding the heater box out and 5 come out really easy. The 6th is way in there under the brake stuff on the left hand side. Lots of PB blaster and time and it strips like it's welded on there. No rust, nice clean metal all around. How in the HECK am I going to get in there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pic from Ben's site
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's stripped this may not help, but did you get penetrating fluid in at exterior end of the screw? IIRC, some of them can be sprayed from the outside.

As you may know, replacing those screws with cap bolts is a good idea.

Drill using an angle attachment?

Or use an impact screwdriver? I bought a (Lyle?) brand. Has worked great for things like the Phillips on the front brake dust plates. You need room for a clear swing with hammer. Make sure you use correct sized bit.

Edit: I'd have to double check that it would fit, but you'd likely need to use an extension with this tool. Any decent (i.e. Craftsman) 3/8" extension between bit holder and tool should be able to handle a few hammer whacks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dedicated long reach #3 screwdriver for those.. and it's certainly a bear..
but once stripped out the center your only choice is to drill out the bugger
they have LOOOOOOONG drills at the hardware store. or a long drill bit extender for a bit you already own.

once the head is off and the heater is out you can remove the remaining bit with vice grips. use anti-seize on the threads for the next guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to drill mine out. I drilled the head off and replace with cap bolts and anti-seize.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree just drill it out and pull the remains after the heater core's out of the way. However, you might slide under and take a quick look in case it's accessible from the grille area out front. If so, you might reach up with pliers and snip it off, or fire PB directly on it and try one more time with a screwdriver. Grille comes out in seconds.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
scottychop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I have an impact driver but no extensions. Drill bits I have plenty of. Razz
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago someone gave me an interesting product to try on stripping screw heads. It's a paste of extremely hard and sharp bits smaller than grains of sand. You put it on the screwdriver tip and these bits bite into the tool steel and the fastener steel and help everything grip. Got a stubborn screw out with it.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yank the whole heater box and replace it with heat and AC in one.

http://www.vintageair.com/index.asp
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two man job & real simple.

One guy inside with a long wide punch and a ball pein hammer rapping on the end of it--

The other guy on the outside backing out the bolt.
It'll crank right outa there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: