Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just installed new front end no travel.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobelsaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Just installed new front end no travel. Reply with quote

I just put my front suspension after putting in new ball joints and adjusters. It is very tight and only travels up and down about an inch when I push on the front end with no shocks installed. Is there a break in period or am I looking forward to doing it all over again. I was about to pump it full of grease but figured I would ask before I do.[/img]
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're supposed to fill the front axle with grease anyways, but all those new parts make the front end a little stiff for a few miles. Do you have those red polyurethane bushings up front? They have been known to really stiffen up the ride. Once you fill the tank with gas, you'd be surprised how much the ride smooths out and settles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sobelsaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned the metal bushing inside and made sure all the control arms fit and then I installed new needle bearings with the oem seals from wolfsburg west. I am not using those bushings that replace the needle bearings. I did notice that the ball joints were amazingly tight when first installed as I could barely turn the spindles. I am hoping things get a little softer as I ride in it because at this point I am probably not even going to use shocks in the front.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ball joints got crushed during install, then that could be your problem. Had that on a rebuilt beam on my VW woodie. Aparently some of the aftermarket ball joints are too large - Seem to recall this was covered in a Hots VWs a year or two ago.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ball joints are directional. They are indexed to orient them in the correct direction when pressed into the arms. They have full travel in only one direction. If you're aware of this and they were pressed in to line up with the marks on the arms, then they may be bottomed out.

Is your Bug lowered?
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your adjusters are adjusted to lower the front end, you may only get about an inch of travel.

-jeffrey
sobelsaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did line them up when installed so it is not that. I have an adjustable beam but I also put in dropped spindles. What ball joints do you guys like using? Even though there seems to be enough room with the regular ball joints should I get the cleared ball joints for dropped cars anyways? The ball joints right now look like they have plenty of room for travel. I have read a lot of stories now about bad ball joints and steering being an issue as well.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have dropped spindles you should consider the clearanced ball joints. Raise the front and see if it is better.
You should know that any front end modification, even if it is just raising the front a small amount requires a front end alignment. This may help.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: