Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

more questions on brakes
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luftgekuehlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: more questions on brakes Reply with quote

hi all -

i am in the process of reworking a 1970 KG coupe that hasn't been driven since 1982. it is my first vw project.

i have decided to have the master cylinder (which appears pretty leaky all around) and all hoses replaced. all the calipers and wheel cylinders are the original german stock.

some questions on brake rebuilding:

- is it necessary or advisable to replace the metal lines?

- is it better to rebuild the calipers and cylinders with repair kits? if so, does anyone know of a source for kits for the wheel cylinders? i have found caliper kits but no wheel cylinder kits.

any tips are appreciated -

chris
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel cylinders and the calipers are the same as Beetles and are quite plentiful & keenly priced so most people replace them, although provided the bores are not scored a rebuild I'm sure is perfectly good. The hard brake lines should be visually inspected, as you won't be able to tell if they leak until you fill the system. I would also budget for replacing the blue hose that connects up to the remote brake reservoir as well.
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: more questions on brakes Reply with quote

replace the four rubber hoses (2 to the calipers, 2 to wheel chls. ) and both supply lines to master cyl. as suggested
berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Have a good look around the pedal cluster area,where the steel line leads off to the rear of the car.This is where the hard line corrodes due to wet feet/floormats.
Little Harry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: more questions on brakes Reply with quote

ovghiaguy wrote:
replace the four rubber hoses (2 to the calipers, 2 to wheel chls. ) and both supply lines to master cyl. as suggested

ditto, just a word of advice. I went through the trouble to replace all of the hoses and after a few weeks of driving the wheel cylinders went south. Then after repairing that the master cylinder went south. Each time I made a repair the brakes had to be bled. Do it once and then enjoy it.

Zack1978 wrote:
From my perspective vintage VW's are beyond being used for daily driver purposes. It would be best to have your car parked in a garage, and kept away from the elements on a daily basis. Zack

Uhhh...yeah...I disagree
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: