Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 ghia lock stuck
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin18152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: 73 ghia lock stuck Reply with quote

My key will no longer turn the lock cylinder, and unlock the steering wheel. I read several articles on how to replace the switch and cylinder, however, they all say to turn the key to the on position in order to pull out the cylinder. The cylinder will not turn, so thats not an option.

Has anyone had this exact stuation? I have not pulled anything apart yet. I dont think the key is worn out, its most likely the cylinder. Most of the articles pertain to a supper beatles.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have but eventually the key came out after fooling with it.

Try spraying some wd-40 down the lock.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquid graphite is great for makin sticky tumblers move
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
martin18152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sparayed some WD in there, been moving steering wheel, pushing the key in and out. If I could just get it to turn, I would pull the battery , and take the whole thing apart.
Lucatero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this happen every now and then. Keep pulling the key in and out slightly, while rock the steering wheel back and fourth, and eventually you will be able to undo the lock. It's frustrating but keep at it.
70 Karmann Ghia
martin18152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have it completly apart, I see why you need to turn the key, its because the steering lock tab keeps the cylinder from comming out. I have a new lock on order, once I get it, I will probably just get a dremel tool, and cut the locking tab off , then it should just slip out with out a problem. If it wasnt for the stuck lock, this whole proceedure would take about 20 min. The hardest thing you have to do is pull the washer hoses off, count on them breaking, so just buy some new ones, or cut them at the nipple, there is enough slack to put them back on.

I know the saying "if its not broke, dont fix it" , but my advice is, if you have an original key lock, replace it now while its easy.

if anyone sees somthing fundamentaly wrong with doing this, let me know, I probably won't get the new lock for a week or so. I appreciate any advice.
martin18152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after watching numerous Utube videos, none were exactly like the 73 ghia, I have a better Idea. Since what I have ordered is a lock core only, I don't want to destroy the outer assembly. There is a small hole that I think you can insert a paper clip, and push in the cam that holds lock core in, so I'm hoping to just pull the core out, and not the whole assembly.
martin18152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little hole worked, you can barely see it with assembly still in the column, pushed it in with 3/32 drill bit, and she came right out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: